Dan Mullen | Page 223 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, the enterprise rental guy is the idiot, not the posters questioning the enterprise rental guy. WE have no idea who's feeding BS or not. It's crazy to suggest the guy who was 100% wrong is getting the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not sure anything pivoted ever. Just because of threads on a rumor site?

I'm taking crazy pills.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Mullen was in Syracuse and met with the AD Staff

Don’t know how much further it went after that.

The guy claiming stuff about chesney I know nothing about.

Bulldog info was the same info I was getting and others on here too from legit people.

Yesterday everything went silent, what happened, no idea. But I heard rumblings after the game Saturday that Mullen was out

Okay, now I've had a moment to process this, and like a rational adult I'll wait for the University to name the next guy. But I gotta say, this is a gut bunch and makes anyone on the level of Chesney or Coen a very bitter pill to swallow. The new hire may need to give a generational level speech upon arrival to get any kind of buy in from us die-hards.
No, if you’re a die-hard you’ll buy-in come August regardless

I see we’re now at the stage where we believe anonymous, unverified sources and just assume that SU screwed it up.

And next time someone says they heard something, the cycle starts all over.
Right. It’s like everyone forgets the game of telephone as a kid. Just because we have insiders here doesn’t mean what they were told was the full truth. Perhaps as some have speculated Mullen was just reaching out from a consulting aspect and never was interested in the job, but wanted to help Wildhack with the hiring process

I can tell you, without a doubt, Mullen was in Syracuse and met with the AD Staff

Don’t know how much further it went after that.

The guy claiming stuff about chesney I know nothing about.

Bulldog info was the same info I was getting and others on here too from legit people.

Yesterday everything went silent, what happened, no idea. But I heard rumblings after the game Saturday that Mullen was out

My guess is Mullin was never in. He may have gone to the AD to see, checking notes, the former head honcho at ESPN to break bread with him on the search. The convo may have lasted 30 seconds.

"Dan, you're making how much from Florida to NOT coach"
<laugh track ensues>
"Dan, all kidding aside, who do you think I should hire?"

Yeah and you must not be familiar with my relationships which is fine. But those that do understand. And there’s zero chance I would ever say something that didn’t come from an inside source
Bulldog, I am a long time lurker who seldom posts here, but read multiple times a day. Thank you for all of the information that you share with us, I know it takes alot of time and effort on your part. Please keep us in the loop.

JW obviously knows what Syracusefan.com is and he knows what TNIAAM is. There was a lot of smoke. LOTS. How many players, potential transfers, and alums started following Kenny Chesny on twitter since last week? He knows what twitter/X is. He knows who the fanbase is. He can either encourage the rumor mill and wild speculation or put a clamp on something if it is only a pipedream. It takes one tweet (as we've seen).

Worse, he knows what the history of the Syracuse sports programs are: approaching two decades of irrelevance in football and a decade of irrelevance in basketball. There are 50,000 potential paying customers champing at the bit to flood the dome again for successful programs. It's his decision to fire a mediocre coach without a new hire in place and drag the song and dance out over the holiday week. Instead we're likely getting an "up and coming" 46 year old head coach who has never won an FBS game to "not rebuild the program". Not showing JAB the door until he craterd the program and then going with the easiest hire ever. WBB coach? LAX coach? Remember the leaked dome plans? Bowie/Bouie? Lol.

Amateur hour up on the hill and it shows again and again.
This 1 billion %

Did HC pray for recruits to show up to a tiny school in Worcester. If anything he's probably the best recruiter we coudl hire based on how he got talent that D1 wants right now (Sluka, etc)
Actually HC is about the same size as Wake in terms of undergrads and has a football stadium of 25000 or so.

Just want to chime in and say this will be fodder for years of negativity about commitment to football - all while we have not one clue as to what happened. Until someone with deep insight into the actual facts of what happened, I’d like to ignore your overly negative take and support who ever our next HC is.

JW obviously knows what Syracusefan.com is and he knows what TNIAAM is. There was a lot of smoke. LOTS. How many players, potential transfers, and alums started following Kenny Chesny on twitter since last week? He knows what twitter/X is. He knows who the fanbase is. He can either encourage the rumor mill and wild speculation or put a clamp on something if it is only a pipedream. It takes one tweet (as we've seen).

Worse, he knows what the history of the Syracuse sports programs are: approaching two decades of irrelevance in football and a decade of irrelevance in basketball. There are 50,000 potential paying customers champing at the bit to flood the dome again for successful programs. It's his decision to fire a mediocre coach without a new hire in place and drag the song and dance out over the holiday week. Instead we're likely getting an "up and coming" 46 year old head coach who has never won an FBS game to "not rebuild the program". Not showing JAB the door until he craterd the program and then going with the easiest hire ever. WBB coach? LAX coach? Remember the leaked dome plans? Bowie/Bouie? Lol.

Amateur hour up on the hill and it shows again and again.
You really expected Wildhack to hire a new coach before Babers was fired?

In the same boat as a lurker who values the inside info, even after it changes. Thats not the fault of the individual sharing it.
Also as sidenote, we should be allowed to legitimately curse on here without penalty for like 12 hours. Start a new thread where we just shout into the ether for a bit.

Sorry but you expect the Syracuse AD to publicly address every coaching rumor on Syracusefan and Twitter? No AD at any P5 school is going to do that ever. I think he of all people know how important this hire is but he's not gonna hold Mullen at gunpoint to sign a contract.
Oh come on, how many rumors have 200 pages in four days? JW doesn't need to tweet. He tells Thamel to. "Oh Mullen, not happening." And done.

It's amateur hour.

I’m going to go and walk our dogs. I’m sure I’ll check back after I get back and we‘ll have another melt down over something. I better take a couple of extra poop bags because it’s getin g pretty deep around here.

I think what is most disappointing about this is that for a short, fleeting moment it felt like the university was going to go big and invest in football again. That’s not to say we still can’t but it doesn’t inspire confidence.

It’s possible that Dan Mullen was never all that close to being the SU head coach, but it was close enough to get the blood pumping. Not sure who we end up with but I’m really hoping it isn’t a move that would be perceived more as a cost saving decision. I’d much rather we go all in the next decade before the P2/4/5 break up occurs. Otherwise, I fear we may get left behind without ever giving football the full funding it needed to succeed consistently.

News flash no one cares about the twin trees bowl. We want a team that doesn’t get smoked 5 games in a row on national tv. We want a team that doesn’t commit penalties. We want a team that doesn’t kick 50 something yard field goals down 20. Syracuse isn’t just some small school. We are one of the winningest programs in history. So yes the bar should be higher then making the pin stripe bowl.
None of this will happen under Bob Chesney. Some of you need to take a break from this site, calm down, and come back rational. Mullen would’ve been awesome but none of us know for 100% certainty if he was even on the hook for us. As a “younger” fan, it’s weird to see grown men acting like babies over this news. Do some research on Chesney before bashing the guy

All weekend there was smoke. A lot of it. Matt Barrie continued to poke at Dan Mullen. I assume that was not the first Syracuse related twitter message Mullen received.

But it was never communicated before that he was not or would not become the next Syracuse coach. Why at midnight Sunday night is he finally acknowledging and stating he won’t be the head coach at Syracuse?

My only guess, Syracuse came back and told him he wasn’t the selection or couldn’t offer him what he was looking for. Typical Syracuse. You have a big time college coach on a silver platter. And you either cant deliver or refuse to deliver. Every time Syracuse has an opportunity to go big and prove everyone wrong, they go small.

When you continue to go small, you fall behind. And we will look back one day when we are left behind and ask ourselves how it all happened. Let’s just face it, this school is just not serious about sports.
BUT - maybe Mullen was sunk by his recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions at Florida. Something the SU BofT would want to stay away from. Given our history with basketball, I think that's understandable.

I hear Fran Brown (Georgia DB Coach) was interviewed. Brown does meet Wildhacks requirement as a former Assistant Head Coach (Baylor & Temple) and co-Defensive Coordinator (Temple). He is one heck of a recruiter and was named the top recruiter in the nation for the 2024 recruiting cycle in July 2023 by 24-7 Sports.

Baylor: Brown followed Rhule to Baylor where he served as the Bears' assistant head coach and defensive backs coach for the 2017 and 2018 seasons. During his time in Waco Brown was considered Baylor's top recruiter.

Temple: Following the 2018 season, Brown interviewed for the head coaching job at Temple that eventually went to Manny Diaz whose first hire at Temple was to bring Brown in as assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator. After 17 days, Diaz left Temple to return to Miami for the head coaching job. Brown interviewed for the Temple head coaching job, but it eventually went to Rod Carey who kept Brown on the Temple Owl's coaching staff as the co-defensive coordinator.

https://x.com/247sports/status/1684992337645346816?s=61

View attachment 233910
With all respect it's not all that hard to be a great recruiter for Georgia.

Yeah and you must not be familiar with my relationships which is fine. But those that do understand. And there’s zero chance I would ever say something that didn’t come from an inside source
Adults know things change very quickly during negotiations and sometimes things just don't work out despite the best intentions of all parties involved. Thanks for all the inside info you give us.

Oh come on, how many rumors have 200 pages in four days? JW doesn't need to tweet. He tells Thamel to. "Oh Mullen, not happening." And done.

It's amateur hour.

Do you visit other message boards, this happens all the time when rumors are out there regarding coaches and players. Expecting Wildhack to squash or confirm every rumor is insane. SU fails at a lot of stuff but this isn't it.

It’s not hard to believe Mullen was a candidate. It’s why we were all so excited! It’s also not hard to believe that the two sides couldn’t meet as far as syracuses resources and what Mullen required to be the coach. All can be true….
Exactly. By some miracle I wanted this to work out but I’m not surprised at all it didn’t. Mullen is just out of our league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom