Daniel Snyder: Redskins will 'never' change team name | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Daniel Snyder: Redskins will 'never' change team name

The funny part about this is the reputed awful nature that Danny Snyder treats employees, people he generally encounters, the environment, the 1st Amendment, the fans of that team...and it's all being whitewashed over symbolism.

Townie and I both live in the DC market (although he lives with the lefties up in Tacoma Park) so we're a little more exposed to how awful the owner of the team is on more levels.

I'm just curious... would anyone walk up to a person of Native-American descent and say "what's up, redskin?"

OK. So its the phrase not the context?

If "People of Color" is now the officially-approved, politically-correct terminology, what would the reaction be to "Wazzup, Person of Color"?

You try it first. I'll watch.

The funny part about this is the reputed awful nature that Danny Snyder treats employees, people he generally encounters, the environment, the 1st Amendment, the fans of that team...and it's all being whitewashed over symbolism.

Townie and I both live in the DC market (although he lives with the lefties up in Tacoma Park) so we're a little more exposed to how awful the owner of the team is on more levels.

Tacoma Park? The People's Republic of Takoma Park? The Nuclear Free Takoma Park?

I'd last exactly one town meeting and then I'd be stoned by the 60's leftovers of Takoma Park..

I'm a Chevy Chase person ... the polar opposite of Takoma Park.

Snyder ain't changing the name of the Redskins ever. His fan base would revolt.

Our entire country is full of obnoxious, over sensitive pu$$ies. We need to, pardon my language, remove the tampon.

I'm not specifically referring to the topic at hand here, but in general, it's getting ridiculous. Life is too short to give a F about a lot of these stories that seem to end up in the news.

OK. So its the phrase not the context?

If "People of Color" is now the officially-approved, politically-correct terminology, what would the reaction be to "Wazzup, Person of Color"?

You try it first. I'll watch.

Yeah, the phrase would be African-American. Or Hispanic. Or Asian. Etc.

But keep trying.

A Negro, a Kike and a Redskin walk into a bar ...

Except none of the others issues are being addressed in any meaningful way. Instead we yammer about silly things like the name of the DC NFL franchise and Cleveland Indian mascot and the Saltine Warrior.

People can bring this up. But they should be immediately told that it's trivial to everybody but them.

So you also find it funny, the Conservative dimwits who invented the attack on xmas and then clamor on and on about it every year?

I actually know Dan Snyder. Good guy. What billionaire would put up with dumb people?!? If I had his money, I sure as wouldn't!

Except none of the others issues are being addressed in any meaningful way. Instead we yammer about silly things like the name of the DC NFL franchise and Cleveland Indian mascot and the Saltine Warrior.

People can bring this up. But they should be immediately told that it's trivial to everybody but them.
Someone created this thread. It's for discussion purposes and we all have opinions. I happen to believe that the term "Redskin" is not a term of endearment to Native Americans. It's a racial slur. I have not really discussed anything about changing the team names here. I just spoke about the racial slur "Redskin" that happens to be a team name.

I actually know Dan Snyder. Good guy. What billionaire would put up with dumb people?!? If I had his money, I sure as wouldn't!
I posted this last night injest and obviously drunk. I was thinking of doing an E! True Hollywood Story, on a Charlie Murphy style over my trials and tribulations with Dan. If anyone is interested, like this post and I will gauge from that whether to proceed.

I worked with him for all of three months,so we are only talking a few weeks of content. It is the offseason though.

Now there's a first for me. "Daniel Snyder" and "good guy" in the same sentence.

Is this the same Daniel Snyder who cut down trees in protected forest along side the Potomac River to give his mansion an unobstructed view of the River? And then drug his feet on replanting? (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...-never-replanted-trees-says-u-s-park-service/)

Is this the same Daniel Snyder who attempted to crush a tiny DC newspaper with a lawsuit for criticizing him? (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...yder-communications-daniel-snyder-legal-costs)

Daniel Snyder is NOT going to change the name of the Redskins because the name is part of the value of the franchise in spite of how many of the hyper-sensitive and name-focused jump up and down, scream and hyperventilate over the "slur".

Yeah, the phrase would be African-American. Or Hispanic. Or Asian. Etc.

But keep trying.

I'm I the only person that thinks even those terms need to stop? What point do they serve other than to seperate and label? If you were born in the United States you are an American. If you were born in another country and migrated state side you can then feel free to hyphenate all you want if you feel so inclined or claim whichever country you came from. Could actually lead to some interesting convos and you could inform folks about where you came from and why your views are what they are. This post is sparked by a stellar convo I had yesterday with a gent whose parents and himself immigrated state side a few years back. Was cool/enlightening to get his perspective especially given he and his parents grew up in less than ideal circumstances.

Is this the same Daniel Snyder who cut down trees in protected forest along side the Potomac River to give his mansion an unobstructed view of the River? And then drug his feet on replanting?
I think this one was my favorite. Thanks for the reminder.

I posted this last night injest and obviously drunk. I was thinking of doing an E! True Hollywood Story, on a Charlie Murphy style over my trials and tribulations with Dan. If anyone is interested, like this post and I will gauge from that whether to proceed.

I worked with him for all of three months,so we are only talking a few weeks of content. It is the offseason though.
Charlie Murphy!

Now there's a first for me. "Daniel Snyder" and "good guy" in the same sentence.

Is this the same Daniel Snyder who cut down trees in protected forest along side the Potomac River to give his mansion an unobstructed view of the River? And then drug his feet on replanting? (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...-never-replanted-trees-says-u-s-park-service/)

Is this the same Daniel Snyder who attempted to crush a tiny DC newspaper with a lawsuit for criticizing him? (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...yder-communications-daniel-snyder-legal-costs)

Daniel Snyder is NOT going to change the name of the Redskins because the name is part of the value of the franchise in spite of how many of the hyper-sensitive and name-focused jump up and down, scream and hyperventilate over the "slur".

Just to make sure you have your facts straight...

He cut the trees to better his view, yes. But he also replanted over $250K worth of the same trees in a Potomac Park. Further, those trees died because they were actually getting too much water because of the way they tapered the ground. So he replanted them. You didn't read that in the Washington post. I wrote the check, so I'm not blowing smoke.

He did attempt to crush that shitty newspaper because it was a personal attack on him. It failed to mention all of the charities he supports, the fact that he did in fact turn the reigns over to Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan regarding personnel, or the fact that although he does charge for standing room only seats, they seemingly always are sold out, so the price must be appropriate. Oh wait, it mentioned the fact that he donates 2000 seats per game to children's organizations.

You can put whatever stock you want in your little city newspaper, but its no better than a Perez Hilton blog.

No one would say that to a total stranger, because in that context it comes away as an attack.

I grew up in a University town with a healthy mix of ethnicities. We called one another "Mics" and "Wops" and "Bo-hunks" and "Mackeral Snappers" and then we played every sport imaginable together. Nobody got mad because there was no venom in any of it.

We have somehow developed a subset of citizens that is trying to make sure no ones feelings --- especially theirs --- is ever hurt.

I am a Mick and a Mackerel Snapper. Pretty much a Shanty Irish. I grew up in a Southwestern Pennsylvania coal and steel town with lots of different ethnic groups.

My first wife was a Pollock. I knew lots of Hunkies (Czechs, Slovaks, etc.).

I always preferred to call Italians "Dagos", "Greasers" and "Spaghetti Benders" rather than "Wops". Just a personal preference. :)

Nobody should mind.

For all of you who find the word redskin offensive, how many times have you used the word redneck as a derogatory comment about southerners or people from the north country, how many of you have used the word white trash or trailer park trash?

personally if the owner wants to change it change it, if not dont, if you dont like it stop watching the Redskins on TV or any other kind of support.

while your policing the world how about stopping rappers from calling your daughters, mothers, sisters bitches and hoes, how about telling black people to stop calling themslves the n word I find that offensive and probably at least nine percent of the population agrees with me,

Just to make sure you have your facts straight...

He cut the trees to better his view, yes..

How much of the replanting was done voluntarily versus how much was he required to do after a public outrage?

Look, Pace, I don't know the guy. I'm not a Redskins fan. So I don't really care.

But you gotta admit, DS is not a popular guy in DC. I'd say he's pretty universally disliked.

Do you disagree with that?

I am a Mick and a Mackerel Snapper. Pretty much a Shanty Irish. I grew up in a Southwestern Pennsylvania coal and steel town with lots of different ethnic groups.

My first wife was a Pollock. I knew lots of Hunkies (Czechs, Slovaks, etc.).

I always preferred to call Italians "Dagos", "Greasers" and "Spaghetti Benders" rather than "Wops". Just a personal preference. :)

Nobody should mind.

The acceptability of these words depend on who is using them and what the context is.

But some of our friends on here believe that a slur is a slur and that these words should never be used. "Redskins is a bad word and it shouldn't be used regardless of what people understand by it. It might offend some people and all words that offend anyone should be forbidden."

So the "word police" set about to cleanse the language and culture of any offending term in order to have a "more civility". This of course creates a huge fight and ends up creating a more divided society.

Some of us believe that this obsession over words is a distraction. It's silliness prompted by the moral vanity of the "word police".

I think perhaps you're a bit too close to Mr. Snyder to be objective about him.
Definitely not too close to be objective. I'm an accounting/finance type, so just deal in facts. Not defending the guy at all, just was giving the whole story. We all know the media report things on a slant in order to drive the agenda of the article they're writing and I just wanted to point out a few facts related to what Townie wrote.

For all intensive purposes, I only worked for him for 3 months, because it definitely wasn't the job for me for all intensive purposes. The job was sold to me as one thing and ended up being another entirely. I personally was just offering some fodder for discussion and entertainment. Maybe I shouldn't do that because it's ultimately too sensitive for people, which I fully can understand from an outside looking in standpoint...

How much of the replanting was done voluntarily versus how much was he required to do after a public outrage?

Look, Pace, I don't know the guy. I'm not a Redskins fan. So I don't really care.

But you gotta admit, DS is not a popular guy in DC. I'd say he's pretty universally disliked.

Do you disagree with that?
I wasn't trying to disagree and ultimately wasn't trying to change your opinion of the guy. Was just pointing out details that were left out in response to your previous post.

The re-planting was voluntary. The initial planting was not.

I'm actually not a Redskins fan either, Giants for me. DS is not a popular guy in DC at all...partly because DC media is tough, but moreso because he's a shrewd business man. I use the word "shrewd" loosely. I personally wouldn't defend the guy at all, just was giving the whole story related to the items you posted. I personally was only suggesting I'd post things about my tenure with him for entertainment purposes.