Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

A few years ago, my then-employer offered a job to a professional acquaintance of mine, and myself and my boss spent several hours over a couple weeks talking with her about joining us. She strung us along for a while, and then ultimately decided to stay at her current job. By the time she rejected us, our hiring window had closed so we weren't able to find a replacement in that hiring cycle. We were all very upset with her, and my then-boss (who is now a friend) to this day uses her name as a shorthand for all manner of terrible things.

Then a couple years after that, I got a job opportunity that I liked but required a major lifestyle change. I dithered and dithered for months before making the decision to leave at the last possible moment, leaving my then-employer down a senior person at a particularly bad time with a bare minimum of notice.

This is to say, making big personal decisions is really challenging, even for adults. It's easy to say everyone should handle these with perfect grace and professionalism, but when so much is at stake (or seems to be a stake), making these decisions can be very difficult.

But you didn't commit to them and then change your mind months later, correct?;)

Kids got a lotta dreams. Must sleep well. Good luck. Not a lot of logic to go with the hype. Guess hype sells.

"But a few months ago, I was having a conversation with my mom and one of my coaches, and they brought up this notion of playing professionally for a year before entering the NBA draft. At first, I basically dismissed it entirely. I just had trouble picturing myself doing that. A little time passed, then we all had another conversation, and for the first time the G League was brought up. '

I have a problem with this scenario.
Why would mom and coach bring up this idea of playing professional ball before the NBA draft?
Why would this conversation lead to talking about the G League?

There has to be a reason that mom and coach would push this idea. And the G League scene, where did that come from?
Mom wouldn't know the G League from a G string. But coach-------Hmmmm!?

The had to be a driving force besides this great idea presented to a kid who had not thought about any such thing and didn't care for it when it was first presented.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree that the odds of $$$ at play is much greater than some grand idea by coach and mom to go to the G League.

And if this took place some months ago, why couldn't the kid have called JB and said I'm wondering about this idea. What do you think?

Oh well, I hope the kid made the right decision because not only does he havc to live with it, so do mom and coach.

There are exactly 31 opinions that matter - Baz's, and the front offices for each team. That's it. That's the list.

Nothing that anybody says now means anything.
His NBA path through the G-L is only one part of this - I haven't heard anyone (nor have you cited anyone) who thinks this is a bright idea. But regardless of how much lucre he can put his hands on in a couple years, the other part of this is how he pissed in the face of a major college BB program after months of being committed and signing an LOI. But even overlooking all that, and as weird a circus as this became, I actually don't want to keep perseverating about it. You may think that cash is all that matters. I don't agree, but at this point I'm more interested in who we're getting to replace his roster spot so I can forget all the time wasted on this kid (and threads like this).

Last edited:
You're entitled to an opinion. But others in a position to know - JB, Bilas, etc .. down the line - have pretty much ALL said the G-L is a dumb move that will reduce his draft stock, skew his development (force him to play in a guard-oriented league with little team play), limit his exposure and cost him big-time in the long run. And that's all aside from the point that he totally shafted SU at the last minute for a sheisty loan.
For the people who think this is a good idea let me pose this question. If this was such a good idea how come literally no one has made this move before?

His NBA path through the G-L is only one part of this - I haven't heard anyone (nor have you cited anyone) who thinks this is a bright idea. But regardless of how much lucre he can put his hands on in a couple years, the other part of this is how he pissed in the face of a major college BB program after months of being committed and signing an LOI. But even overlooking all that, and as weird a circus as this became, I actually don't want to keep perseverating about it. You may think that cash is all that matters. I don't agree, but at this point I'm more interested in who we're getting to replace his roster spot so I can forget all the time wasted on this kid (and threads like this).
We get it you love the NBA. Everyone should leave early to make the NBA great.

For the people who think this is a good idea let me pose this question. If this was such a good idea how come literally no one has made this move before?
There always has to be a first. This situation sought of reminds me of when I was a kid and the upstart ABA was trying to go against the old NBA. It wasn't until they signed the most exciting player in basketball, Julius Erving- Dr. J, out of Univ. of Virginia, that the fans and interest increased towards that league. I instantly became a fan of the Virginia Squires, because of Dr. J. They followed up Erving by signing folks like George McGinnis, Rick Barry, George Gervin, and other stars- tweaked some rules, and eventually became a viable product to compete against the older league.
Now, by no means am I suggesting that Darius Bazeley is another Dr. J, but imagine an Anthony Davis, or a Trae Young, or hell, Carmelo Anthony, coming straight outta HS & joining a D-League team. You don't think fans would pay more mind to the G League at that point? Alot has to happen of course, but if the NBA increases the pay and works out the kinks, I believe the G League can be very successful. Unlucky for us, but Bazeley might be the trendsetter to get that kind of thing going.
If he starts the trend & succeeds, the NBA is potentially looking at another viable stream of revenue from its minor league system. For years people have wondered why the NBA has never sought to make the G-League into a MLB-like, Double-A or Triple-A system, in order to draft, develop, and call up players to the Association. The only major holdup appears to be the NCAA and what role if any they would play in such an arrangement. Maybe a European soccer league type of development system as well.
If Bazley ends up getting good endorsement deals, becomes a draw for the G-League, goes Top 3-4, and establishes himself as a budding star...then the sky's the limit for the NBA and G League.

Last edited:
1. Yes, the timing is disappointing the day after burger game, but let's look at it from his POV. He is embroiled in chasing high school title dreams in the latter part of his senior season. Mom and coach bring up professional idea. He dismisses it. Has playoff games and McD's on the horizon.
A couple weeks pass and they bring up G-League by name. Idea has been bumping around his skull all the while. Now it's really late in the season and he still has these pending commitments., but is intrigued.
Enter a bag man...POSSIBLY. Now there is more incentive. Maybe even Adam Silver or other NBA person gives him a wink-wink just do it kid, we got your back and won't let you be a martyr. Now it's like a week before the McDonalds game. Do you really expect him to pull the plug on SU now? No. Stay the course, enjoy the trip and game and then announce.

2. Why didn't he tell/ask/discuss the idea with JB months or weeks in advance if indeed he had decided that early? WHY WOULD HE?
Rule #1 - protect your own interests first at all costs. Your employer won't. If you accepted a new job, gave notice, and then got a new offer would you really ask your new boss-to-be what they thought and what you should before you even started working there? No, you would not.

This altruistic notion that he should have told the coaches weeks ago is simply the misplaced butthurt disappointment of fans. It sucks he is not coming because I think he truly would have opened up the offense for the whole team, but it is what it is.

1. Yes, the timing is disappointing the day after burger game, but let's look at it from his POV. He is embroiled in chasing high school title dreams in the latter part of his senior season. Mom and coach bring up professional idea. He dismisses it. Has playoff games and McD's on the horizon.
A couple weeks pass and they bring up G-League by name. Idea has been bumping around his skull all the while. Now it's really late in the season and he still has these pending commitments., but is intrigued.
Enter a bag man...POSSIBLY. Now there is more incentive. Maybe even Adam Silver or other NBA person gives him a wink-wink just do it kid, we got your back and won't let you be a martyr. Now it's like a week before the McDonalds game. Do you really expect him to pull the plug on SU now? No. Stay the course, enjoy the trip and game and then announce.

2. Why didn't he tell/ask/discuss the idea with JB months or weeks in advance if indeed he had decided that early? WHY WOULD HE?
Rule #1 - protect your own interests first at all costs. Your employer won't. If you accepted a new job, gave notice, and then got a new offer would you really ask your new boss-to-be what they thought and what you should before you even started working there? No, you would not.

This altruistic notion that he should have told the coaches weeks ago is simply the misplaced butthurt disappointment of fans. It sucks he is not coming because I think he truly would have opened up the offense for the whole team, but it is what it is.
Why would Adam silver or any other nba person care if the number 9 player in the high school rankings went to the g league or went to syracuse?

Why would Adam silver or any other nba person care if the number 9 player in the high school rankings went to the g league or went to syracuse?
If they are going to grow attendance and TV or Internet views it is just another tool to get players who may bring an additional following. A snowball rolling downhill starts small.

If they are going to grow attendance and TV or Internet views it is just another tool to get players who may bring an additional following. A snowball rolling downhill starts small.
So are they hoping to grow their attendance from 34 to 46?

Garnett went straight to the NBA, he was the first. Was that smart?

Nobody knows what the correct move is or was.

Personally for basketball purposes I can't help but this being a good move and don't know why others haven't gone down this path.

I hope we have amazing success next season, but I'm also rooting for this kid to succeed.

So are they hoping to grow their attendance from 34 to 46?

Do you think any of the guys who go from the d league to the NBA care about how many people cheer them on?

Personally for basketball purposes I can't help but this being a good move and don't know why others haven't gone down this path.

I hope we have amazing success next season, but I'm also rooting for this kid to succeed.
There is a huge difference between making millions of dollars and 26k.

Yes I do.

Why did Mali and Lydon leave? Why is Battle going to leave?

They could be here playing in front of 30k. They chose pro ball instead. So did Bazley.

How many millions was he going to make at Syracuse? I'm confused.
The millions he could have made if he had a big year here. You are trying to make the comparison with Garnett who made the jump to the NBA. Even if he had become a bust he still would have pocketed a couple mil.

*Cringe*
You don't really think this.

Come on. You’ve been here long enough and read enough posts on this subject to know that many people honestly think this.

*Cringe*
You don't really think this.
You don't think crowds affect players? You think its easy getting up for a game when there are 200 people in the seats.

I think Moses Malone was the first tbh.

I selfishly hope Bazley makes it because if this is seen as a successful path it’s going to get kids out of college who have no interest in being there. And that in the long run will be good for college ball.

The millions he could have made if he had a big year here. You are trying to make the comparison with Garnett who made the jump to the NBA. Even if he had become a bust he still would have pocketed a couple mil.

Do you know what kind of numbers Mudiay put up overseas? Brandon Jennings? Leagues worse than the G league. They weren't good and both were still in the lottery.

The risk people think Baz is making is far less than it's made out to be.

He will be scouted every night, he will be against better competition, he will be able to work on his game every single day and night. But I guess going to class, limited practice time, no money for individual coaching and practicing 2 3 zone will be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom