Darius Bazley | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley

Well if you just want to be negative and build up another excuse for why JB and the team were mediocre then you ignore that and the fact that he has the most powerful agent in the league.

He’s powerful for 1 reason. 1 client. He’s not well respected by front offices. Heck the Lakers considered trading Lebron because they’re fed up with Paul.

People said that past players had their draft stock improve because they played well on national TV. When NBA scouts are evaluating prospects they do not care what station is broadcasting the game.

You’re being pedantic for some odd reason. People use “tv” synonymously with big stage games etc. the ncaas put guys like Ennis/Malachi/Dion on the map, bottom line

I think Ennis’ stock rose upwards of 10-20 picks during our 25 game win streak his freshman year. But thats just one case I guess. Waiters and Malachi inarguably benefitted from their domination in March.

My arguments better represented by Ennis though. He benefitted far more from college success than individual pre draft workouts from what I understood.

My point is and has been that it is far more important for Darius long term that he gets drafted into a good situation than if he spent this past 7 months at Syracuse or working out individually with a team of trainers. Right now, it's impossible to make a verdict on if his decision will cost him his future in the league.

Nobody is arguing that playing well in college doesn't help a players draft stock. Anytime you put good things on film to be evaluated it is a plus.

oshae wouldnt have been offered the 1 mil.

zion would have made a HUUUUGE mistake to take the 1 mil (or 2 mil he may have gotten). may have been the biggest mistake in the history of sports money.

new balance gave him 1 mil - but part of that is if he happens to blow up, new balance will almost certainly win big on the deal. if he does nothing they only lost a mil.
Yup. The NBA plan is to feast off the fortunes of kids that need money and have handlers pushing them that way. They’re creating a low cost alternative to ncaas. This is a money grab for them.

My point is and has been that it is far more important for Darius long term that he gets drafted into a good situation than if he spent this past 7 months at Syracuse or working out individually with a team of trainers. Right now, it's impossible to make a verdict on if his decision will cost him his future in the league.

Nobody is arguing that playing well in college doesn't help a players draft stock. Anytime you put good things on film to be evaluated it is a plus.
Just using your last argument makes his decision completely nonsensical.

Oshae came here and at this point it seems clear that he would have been better off taking $1m. So would tons of players that have came through.
Can we stop with the $1 million nonsense.

You're saying that like that is some easy to get alternative. Bazley is not seeing $1 mill, that is bunk put out by his agent. People here need to quit quoting that, read the article.

Bazley is not seeing $1 mill and Oshae never had an opportunity to get $1million.

He’s powerful for 1 reason. 1 client. He’s not well respected by front offices. Heck the Lakers considered trading Lebron because they’re fed up with Paul.

The lakers considered trading lebron?

Can we stop with the $1 million nonsense.

You're saying that like that is some easy to get alternative. Bazley is not seeing $1 mill, that is bunk put out by his agent. People here need to quit quoting that, read the article.

Bazley is not seeing $1 mill and Oshae never had an opportunity to get $1million.

i think he is getting $1 mil... not sure how long its spread out - but the $1 mil was guaranteed. It had escalators to reach $14mil total if he hit certain targets.

I think Bazley will end up ok since Lebron has backed him along with Lebron’s agent and has been on record publicly encouraging him and the path he took. Lebron’s agent Rich Paul has a business setting the details, contacts and contracts to make this a viable path to the NBA for players who don’t want to attend college and give them a new career path to the NBA. They never do say though what their cut of the action is. They are paying $200,000 this year for Bazely’s internship in Boston for 3 months from January through this month to learn all about shoe design and the business end of shoe contracts etc. It is in their self interest that he makes it and is at least financially secure for their test to replace college etc for top high school recruits for their new business venture to attract more clients even if they do lose money on Bazely. JB’s comments ruffled Lebron.

I think it’s interesting that Bazely’s shoe contract is with New Balance who left the basketball shoe market in 1990 to re-enter it with Bazely when Lebron is a Nike guy. Also that he got Bazely but not Zion etc.

(Sorry I don’t know how to embed tweets)

Darius Bazely Turns Down College and Lands Multi-Year Endorsement Deal with New Balance | The Source

i think he is getting $1 mil... not sure how long its spread out - but the $1 mil was guaranteed. It had escalators to reach $14mil total if he hit certain targets.

The $1mm vests if he’s in the league. Clear in the article I sent earlier...

Just using your last argument makes his decision completely nonsensical.

So your argument is that long term in 15 years when people look back on Darius Bazely's basketball career that the decision when he was 18 years old to take $200k and workout with his own team and enter the draft as opposed to play in the Syracuse program for 7 months and then enter the draft will be significant?

That is my point. His future is much more impacted by the situation he is drafted into, not his decision on how to spend the last 7 months. I don't agree with the people who are so eager to say his decision is "nonsensical" or going to be this huge detriment to his career.

I think Bazley will end up ok since Lebron has backed him along with Lebron’s agent and has been on record publicly encouraging him and the path he took. Lebron’s agent Rich Paul has a business setting the details, contacts and contracts to make this a viable path to the NBA for players who don’t want to attend college and give them a new career path to the NBA. They never do say though what their cut of the action is. They are paying $200,000 this year for Bazely’s internship in Boston for 3 months from January through this month to learn all about shoe design and the business end of shoe contracts etc. It is in their interest that he makes it and is at least financially secure for their test to replace college etc for top high school recruits for their new business venture to attract more clients even if they do lose money on Bazely. JB’s comments ruffled Lebron.

I think it’s interesting that Bazely’s shoe contract is with New Balance who left the basketball shoe market in 1990 to re-enter it with Bazely when Lebron is a Nike guy.

Darius Bazely Turns Down College and Lands Multi-Year Endorsement Deal with New Balance | The Source
Well if one is going to run the basketball industry he’s going to need a shoe company and Nike and Reebok are too big

Well he also has 1 of the other top 5 players in the league and is gaining clients quickly. If you think that he's not that powerful then just check out the last 2 contracts that KCP managed to get for no other reason then he's a Klutch client.

So your argument is that long term in 15 years when people look back on Darius Bazely's basketball career that the decision when he was 18 years old to take $200k and workout with his own team and enter the draft as opposed to play in the Syracuse program for 7 months and then enter the draft will be significant?

That is my point. His future is much more impacted by the situation he is drafted into, not his decision on how to spend the last 7 months. I don't agree with the people who are so eager to say his decision is "nonsensical" or going to be this huge detriment to his career.

His career is a completely retrospective view and the ends don’t necessarily justify the means. To your point, one way you get discovered is to have a bunch of game tape. Taking a year off and foregoing that for a sneaker internship is an odd choice. There’s a reason no one has done this really before or since. Zion is a far superior player and went this traditional route...

"To be clear, the Lakers have given no indication that they are considering what former NBA coach and current ESPN broadcaster Jeff Van Gundy is credited with first publicly suggesting: that to rebound from what looks to be a sixth consecutive losing season and sixth straight trip to the lottery despite James' addition last summer, the Lakers should "explore" trading the four-time MVP. "

Well he also has 1 of the other top 5 players in the league and is gaining clients quickly. If you think that he's not that powerful then just check out the last 2 contracts that KCP managed to get for no other reason then he's a Klutch client.

Lebron’s business interests are affecting NBA team ownership’s role and their interests.

Ok, What has he done in the past 8 months to improve his chance of being drafted into a good situation? Seems like theres been a lot more hurt.

He has everything because of 1 client. Great agents rely on savvy but also close personal relationships with front offices to get deals done. He couldn’t get the Lakers deal for Davis some in part because both teams were sick of him

"To be clear, the Lakers have given no indication that they are considering what former NBA coach and current ESPN broadcaster Jeff Van Gundy is credited with first publicly suggesting: that to rebound from what looks to be a sixth consecutive losing season and sixth straight trip to the lottery despite James' addition last summer, the Lakers should "explore" trading the four-time MVP. "
Keep reading below that

He has everything because of 1 client. Great agents rely on savvy but also close personal relationships with front offices to get deals done. He couldn’t get the Lakers deal for Davis some in part because both teams were sick of him

He couldn't get the Lakers deal done simply because Ingram and Ball did not progress on the court to a level that would be acceptable as the main pieces in a trade for a top 3 asset.

His career is a completely retrospective view and the ends don’t necessarily justify the means. To your point, one way you get discovered is to have a bunch of game tape. Taking a year off and foregoing that for a sneaker internship is an odd choice. There’s a reason no one has done this really before or since. Zion is a far superior player and went this traditional route...

Darius doesn't need Syracuse's help to be discovered. He's signed with Rich Paul and was a 5 star recruit. NBA teams know who he is.

And you didn't answer my question on if you think what Bazeley did the last 7 months to develop will have a material impact on his NBA career. Which is the entire crux of this argument when people say it was a poor decision.

He couldn't get the Lakers deal done simply because Ingram and Ball did not progress on the court to a level that would be acceptable as the main pieces in a trade for a top 3 asset.
That’s a publicly available theory if you choose to believe it...it’s not what really happened though. There’s a great article
In the Post about how Cashman got Stanton. You should read it as it gives great insight into effective process vs ineffective.

I wish Darius well but the young man needs 20+lbs of muscle if he plans on making a NBA roster ever. He would have been eaten alive in the NBA G League by men fighting to get the call up. His agent did him a big favor by pulling the plug on the G league idea. The benefits he missed out on by bypassing college are strength and conditioning programs (guy is a stick figure), social aspects, and practicing/playing in actual games. I'm curious to see if he is drafted and if he can stick on a NBA roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom