David Ortiz on why he's retiring after a season like this | Syracusefan.com

David Ortiz on why he's retiring after a season like this

Wow, that was a long article. Since I can't stand him, I didn't choose to read the whole thing. What's his reason?

PS I hope a Yankee pitcher plunks him to send him off on his way. They have nothing to lose, really.
And you don't think things like that are forgotten? Maybe the Sox should plunk Sanchez. A comment like that is really telling. Red Sox fans cheered Mo and Jeter.

Wow, that was a long article. Since I can't stand him, I didn't choose to read the whole thing. What's his reason?

PS I hope a Yankee pitcher plunks him to send him off on his way. They have nothing to lose, really.

Your better than that man.

I am a Cubs fan but always liked Ortiz, game will miss him for sure

I'm a Cubs fan but can't stand him. He's a great hitter who likes to bring attention to himself.

And you don't think things like that are forgotten? Maybe the Sox should plunk Sanchez. A comment like that is really telling. Red Sox fans cheered Mo and Jeter.

Telling in what way? I said that I can't stand him. I didn't think I left any gray area. Im sure the Yankees didn't forget the bush league antics of Pedro either. Ortiz was a Yankee killer but I wouldn't put Ortiz in the HOF on the first ballot like I expect Jeter and Mo to be. A one dimensional player with a steroid suspicion doesn't quite reach the same level IMHO.

Your better than that man.

I'm not saying pull a Pedro and aim for his head. Just a pitch aimed at his ample backside would do. I doubt they'd do it, I just wouldn't mind if it happened. I'm kind of over the whole Papi lovefest.

I'm not saying pull a Pedro and aim for his head. Just a pitch aimed at his ample backside would do. I doubt they'd do it, I just wouldn't mind if it happened. I'm kind of over the whole Papi lovefest.

You don't hit someone just because they killed your team. Chipper Jones killed my Mets for years, but I still had the utmost respect for the guy, and would have been angry if a Met pitcher drilled him. You have to respect the legends.

You don't hit someone just because they killed your team. Chipper Jones killed my Mets for years, but I still had the utmost respect for the guy, and would have been angry if a Met pitcher drilled him. You have to respect the legends.

I wouldn't drill him because he killed the Yankees. Besides, I'm a Cubs fan. I wasn't a big fan of Larry Jones either. I'm just tired of his over dramatic persona. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean other people can't get in on the love fest. Be my guest. Just expressing my dislike for him.

Eh, he's not even the best DH in recent memory. Edgar Martinez was clearly better. Why everyone is honoring the steroid user is beyond me. His career trajectory mirrors exactly a handful of players...Sosa, Palmeiro, etc...Weird. Well, not really.

He'll probably get a better ceremony than ARod did from the Yankees - who officially failed the same number of steroid tests. Cuz he smiles a lot and is chubby? Pretty soon it's going to be like little kids getting a trophy for finishing last, if you play more than 5 years with the same team before you retire, farewell tour!!!!

I put no chemicals or nothing in my body...so I went to GNC for supplements. Ummmm, okay.

I actually like the dude, because he seems nice, and he smiles a lot and is chubby...but the fawning over Ortiz with a farewell stuff is beyond me.

I wouldn't drill him because he killed the Yankees. Besides, I'm a Cubs fan. I wasn't a big fan of Larry Jones either. I'm just tired of his over dramatic persona. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean other people can't get in on the love fest. Be my guest. Just expressing my dislike for him.
It's ridiculous to suggest someone get hit.

Eh, he's not even the best DH in recent memory. Edgar Martinez was clearly better. Why everyone is honoring the steroid user is beyond me. His career trajectory mirrors exactly a handful of players...Sosa, Palmeiro, etc...Weird. Well, not really.

He'll probably get a better ceremony than ARod did from the Yankees - who officially failed the same number of steroid tests. Cuz he smiles a lot and is chubby? Pretty soon it's going to be like little kids getting a trophy for finishing last, if you play more than 5 years with the same team before you retire, farewell tour!!!!

I put no chemicals or nothing in my body...so I went to GNC for supplements. Ummmm, okay.

I actually like the dude, because he seems nice, and he smiles a lot and is chubby...but the fawning over Ortiz with a farewell stuff is beyond me.
You clearly don't follow baseball closely if you think 1. that Martinez in anyway compared to Ortiz and 2. Ortiz never failed a test for roids. Just plain wrong. He was alleged to be on a list, and we don't know for sure because the list has never been made public for p.e.d's . They don't say what kind. UInlike A-Rod, he was never linked to PEDS in any way again. Oh, and the stats between Edgar Martinez and Ortiz..
Runs scored Ortiz 1417 Martinez 1219 RBI's Ortiz 1765 Martinez 1261 HR's Ortiz 540 Martinez 309 Batting average Ortiz .286 Martinez .312 We won't get in to the sick numbers Ortiz post season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Cubs fan but can't stand him. He's a great hitter who likes to bring attention to himself.

Telling in what way? I said that I can't stand him. I didn't think I left any gray area. Im sure the Yankees didn't forget the bush league antics of Pedro either. Ortiz was a Yankee killer but I wouldn't put Ortiz in the HOF on the first ballot like I expect Jeter and Mo to be. A one dimensional player with a steroid suspicion doesn't quite reach the same level IMHO.
one dimensional player? Hmm you mean like a relief pitcher that throws about 80 innings a year? One dimensional like that?

Edgar Martinez:
Edgar Martinez Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com
.312BA-.418OBP-.515SP
per 162G: 101 walks 95 strikeouts 177 hits 41 doubles 1 triple 24 homers 4 steals 99 rbi 96 rs 397 bases produced 171 runs produced

David Ortiz:
David Ortiz Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com
.286BA-.380OBP-.552SP
per 162G: 89 walks 128 strikeouts 166 hits 43 doubles 1 triple 36 homers 1 steal 119 rbi 96 runs 448 bases produced 179 runs produced

Postseason:

Martinez .266ba .365obp .508sp per 162G: 91w 114s 162h 33d 0t 38hr 10sb 114rbi 76rs 410 bases and 152 runs produced 0 championships

Ortiz: .295ba-.409obp-.553sp per 162G: 113w 140sko 172h 41d 4t 34hr 0sb 119rbi 101rs 436 bases and 186 runs produced 3 championships

You clearly don't follow baseball closely if you think 1. that Martinez in anyway compared to Ortiz and 2. Ortiz never failed a test for roids. Just plain wrong. He was alleged to be on a list, and we don't know for sure because the list has never been made public for p.e.d's . They don't say what kind. UInlike A-Rod, he was never linked to PEDS in any way again. Oh, and the stats between Edgar Martinez and Ortiz..
Runs scored Ortiz 1417 Martinez 1219 RBI's Ortiz 1765 Martinez 1261 HR's Ortiz 540 Martinez 309 Batting average Ortiz .286 Martinez .312 We won't get in to the sick numbers Ortiz post season.

Eh, so Ortiz career's arc pretty much follows every user's ever...but he's the one legit player who's career followed that amazingly strange trajectory and never used. Even after the "unconfirmed" link. Makes some sense I guess.

What public test did Bonds ever fail (unsealed court documents not included)? What public test did ARod ever fail? People are crazy that think Ortiz didn't use. He once said he was tested like 80 times by MLB, they don't test that much.....unless you already failed. I mean, I get it, you're a fan.

Eh, Martinez had a far better oWaR, better aRaR, pretty much every advanced metric to be honest...but Ortiz hit a lot of HRs and was a huge run producer. He's a great player, wouldn't dispute that, not better than Edgar though. Unless you like HRs and teddy-bears a lot.

In any way compares? lolololololololololololololol

one dimensional player? Hmm you mean like a relief pitcher that throws about 80 innings a year? One dimensional like that?

Yes, pretty much.

I'm not suggesting you get hit. You seem to be taking this very personally.
I'm older than you. Tony Coningliaro was my favorite player when I was a kid. He was unreal. Led the league in Home runs at 20 Fastest player to 100 home runs in history at that time. Got hit in the head at 22 and his life was ruined. Died real early. He was so good, after missing a full year, he came back blind in one eye and hit 36 HR's one year. was out of the game at 25 and died early.

He wants to be a vitamin salesman.

He is playing in pain. He has bad feet.
He want's to be a Dr Scholl's salesman. He will be Jellin like Magellan in retirement.
spin_prod_ec_1176999410

Other than the fact that Ortiz has been a postseason monster, the greatest clutch hitter of his generation and hit 230 more HRs and drove in 500 more runs, he and martinez were pretty close.

I'm older than you. Tony Coningliaro was my favorite player when I was a kid. He was unreal. Led the league in Home runs at 20 Fastest player to 100 home runs in history at that time. Got hit in the head at 22 and his life was ruined. Died real early. He was so good, after missing a full year, he came back blind in one eye and hit 36 HR's one year. was out of the game at 25 and died early.
Tragic story. That picture of him in the hospital after taking that pitch in the eye is burned in my mind. I'm a New Yorker, lifelong Yankee fan, but for some reason had a Tony Conigliaro glove as a kid. Best glove I ever had.

Edit:
Wow, found this on eBay
2016-09-29 07.32.36.png

What a promising career derailed. Look at the Similarity Scores for Conigliaro at ages 20, 21 and 22 -- closest comp is Bryce Harper
Tony Conigliaro Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited:

I remember reading about his story. Very said. I was in no way advocating that the Yankees aim at his head. Doing that on purpose is criminal. I don't want to see him injured. I was suggesting more like a curve to his ample hind quarters.

Look my comment was half in jest. Obviously we don't see eye to eye on this, and that's ok. I'll just leave it at this: I won't miss him when he's gone. Oh, and Go Cubs Go!

The one I had in high school was Tom Seaver. I think my sister had Bert Campanaris of all people! I guess that assured her that she could play all 9 positions. Wait, I think I just set up a rather unseemly joke. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom