Class of 2021 - David Shaw on Star Ratings | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 David Shaw on Star Ratings

Shafer has even mentioned 4 and 5 star kids when talking about where he wants recruiting to get too.

Top end talent is top end talent. I think it's not that hard to evaluate. The biggest, fastest, more athletic kids rise to the top. That's a far cry from saying they actually use the services as tools for discovering the talent.

TheCusian said:
Top end talent is top end talent. I think it's not that hard to evaluate. The biggest, fastest, more athletic kids rise to the top. That's a far cry from saying they actually use the services as tools for discovering the talent.

Where did anyone say they use a service to discover talent? Which btw, has happened before.

Shafer has even mentioned 4 and 5 star kids when talking about where he wants recruiting to get too.

that's because he knows that's the only thing the brain dead fans can wrap their heads around.

I didn't say that, did I? I said that the chance that a kid that is rated 3* that is committed or goes to AL is very rare. As in right now, isn't it amazing that Bama has 15 commits and only 2 are 3* and where are they from?? That's right, Alabama. My point is that if those kids were committed to SU, they would be 2*, especially if they were from NY.

I would also bet that they actually did a thorough evaluation because they are Bama recruits where if they were a smaller school like SU, they quickly viewed a tape and miraculously landed on a 2* rating.

Just purely wrong.

A) Alabama is a much better football state. So, it makes sense for them to have higher rated kids. Bama is solidly in the 2nd tier of states after Cali, Texas, Florida and Georgia.

B) Well, comparing SEC level talents like Easley, Ogundeko, Ishaq, they really got downgraded for being from New York and having Cuse on their list (sometimes to the end).

And your point that if those players signed with Bama were with SU and given 2 stars is so radically incorrect and just shows a basic misunderstanding of recruiting and the difference in sheer physicality b/w those kids and ours.

I love our current 2 commits, but do you think they can play right away? 90% of Bama's recruits could play right away for Syracuse from a physicality standpoint.

rrlbees said:
Where did anyone say they use a service to discover talent? Which btw, has happened before.

Sorry - got my threads mixed up.

I think the services provide context for fans mostly. Like draft grades post NFL draft. I would be shocked if any of our coaches are relying on these services to discover talent at a steady clip. Some? As you say, it's happened before.

Just purely wrong.

A) Alabama is a much better football state. So, it makes sense for them to have higher rated kids. Bama is solidly in the 2nd tier of states after Cali, Texas, Florida and Georgia.

B) Well, comparing SEC level talents like Easley, Ogundeko, Ishaq, they really got downgraded for being from New York and having Cuse on their list (sometimes to the end).

And your point that if those players signed with Bama were with SU and given 2 stars is so radically incorrect and just shows a basic misunderstanding of recruiting and the difference in sheer physicality b/w those kids and ours.

I love our current 2 commits, but do you think they can play right away? 90% of Bama's recruits could play right away for Syracuse from a physicality standpoint.

I would say that we agree to disagree, you keep your opinion...I will keep mine.

I was not specifically talking about any particular player and I agree with your assessment about those players but with regard to those players, we will never know will we. They didn't sign with SU so you can't prove your statement.

You can't pick out the top 5 recruits and say I said something about them that I didn't and I didn't say anything about any recruits playing right away, this was about rankings, not actual physical ability.

Truth - Rankings are subjective ratings, that is why they differ so much amongst the services. If you do not think that money, fanbase size, subscriptions and general evaluators' biases come into play then I have a bridge to sell you in a couple of different places.

CuseOnly said:
If you do not think that money, fanbase size, subscriptions and general evaluators' biases come into play then I have a bridge to sell you in a couple of different places.

I'll buy one of those bridges. It's not NEAR the issue you (and others) claim it to be. Many fan bases, including some top teams, congregate at one site or the other more so than both in big numbers.

How does VT get any highly rated recruits? They don't have many subscribers at any of them. They hang at their own forum site. When we were at Syracuse.com or an independent site milly found, how did P get any highly rated kids?

I guess we'll never improve on our recruiting class rankings since this site, which is the largest, doesn't subscribe to those sites in mass numbers.

You can't pick out the top 5 recruits and say I said something about them that I didn't and I didn't say anything about any recruits playing right away, this was about rankings, not actual physical ability.

Truth - Rankings are subjective ratings, that is why they differ so much amongst the services. If you do not think that money, fanbase size, subscriptions and general evaluators' biases come into play then I have a bridge to sell you in a couple of different places.

Physical ability drives rankings. Remember the excitement around Chris Slayton b/c we haven't recruited someone with his or Denzel Ward's size in years? Shockingly, they are both 3 stars on Rivals. Somehow, Syracuse worked around this bias on Rivals to land 4 star K.J. Williams, who stayed that way despite the early commit.

Money, fan base size and subscriptions have no effect on rankings. Camp attendance is the biggest impact on rankings b/c evaluators see the player live. General evaluator bias is something lacking substance, so I am not sure how to respond.

Your opinion is unfounded and unsubstantiated. If you can give me example of players being downgraded after committing to Cuse and not due to external factors (people have discussed why Morgan dropped), then I can start believing it. I even remember Darius Graham when he committed going from 2 stars to 3 stars.

Recruiting sites are not out to get Syracuse. Different evaluators can see different things and have different ideas on if he will be successful or not. That is perfectly normal and can describe why rankings can vary.

Physical ability drives rankings. Remember the excitement around Chris Slayton b/c we haven't recruited someone with his or Denzel Ward's size in years? Shockingly, they are both 3 stars on Rivals. Somehow, Syracuse worked around this bias on Rivals to land 4 star K.J. Williams, who stayed that way despite the early commit.

Money, fan base size and subscriptions have no effect on rankings. Camp attendance is the biggest impact on rankings b/c evaluators see the player live. General evaluator bias is something lacking substance, so I am not sure how to respond.

Your opinion is unfounded and unsubstantiated. If you can give me example of players being downgraded after committing to Cuse and not due to external factors (people have discussed why Morgan dropped), then I can start believing it. I even remember Darius Graham when he committed going from 2 stars to 3 stars.

Recruiting sites are not out to get Syracuse. Different evaluators can see different things and have different ideas on if he will be successful or not. That is perfectly normal and can describe why rankings can vary.

You are right, humans have no bias, I stand corrected. For the record I specifically said it wasn't directed entirely at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom