Day Seven Fall Football Practice: Friday 8/12/16 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day Seven Fall Football Practice: Friday 8/12/16

I roll my eyes (at least internally) all the time when my boss uses silly metaphors as if we are too stupid to understand simple concepts without them. I still respect and work very hard for her.

well these are kids playing a sport.

I roll my eyes (at least internally) all the time when my boss uses silly metaphors as if we are too stupid to understand simple concepts without them. I still respect and work very hard for her.
I'm sure there's a different feeling to it when Babers is essentially leading these kids through hell/battle in summer camp and into the nearing out of conference and daunting conference slate. I agree with you though, I've felt the same way with coaches and bosses though I've never experienced D1 ACC camps.

Last edited:
well these are kids playing a sport.

I am a baseball coach with a head guy who tells a lot of these metaphors. We have a number of kids roll their eyes, including an All-American Pitcher. He ain't sitting on the bench.

Think you guys are diving too deep into this stuff. Its supposed to be motivational and make you think when you address the team. If it has an impact on one guy, its a good speech.

The most important thing, as a coach, is not how you address units or people together, it is how you address the individuals.

I am a baseball coach with a head guy who tells a lot of these metaphors. We have a number of kids roll their eyes, including an All-American Pitcher. He ain't sitting on the bench.

Think you guys are diving too deep into this stuff. Its supposed to be motivational and make you think when you address the team. If it has an impact on one guy, its a good speech.

The most important thing, as a coach, is not how you address units or people together, it is how you address the individuals.

Yeah too many remember the titans enthusiasts here, I agree

motivational is the whole point. but if your all american wasnt an all american he might be on the bench. then again, its baseball and it's an individual sport. i'm sure there are kids down at alabama who roll their eyes at Saban but its probably few and far between. I tend to see teams who dont win have more eye rollers than teams that win.

I like the urgency so early in preseason practice. Coach Babers understands something special is required to turn this program around.

Talk is cheap but I like what I am hearing.
Agree.

motivational is the whole point. but if your all american wasnt an all american he might be on the bench. then again, its baseball and it's an individual sport. i'm sure there are kids down at alabama who roll their eyes at Saban but its probably few and far between. I tend to see teams who dont win have more eye rollers than teams that win.

Yea, if our All American wasn't an All American and was an untalented kid, then yea, he would be on the bench. No clue where you were going with that comment.

You believe way too much in extrinsic motivation and its effects, in my opinion. Our All-America is an instrinsically motivated kid. He gets his work done and doesn't need anyone motivating him. Your best players? Intrinsically motivated kids 95 % of the time.

Just because you are a big time head coach doesn't mean kids do not roll their eyes at you. I have worked around many of the best baseball coaches in the country while working for USA Baseball. Trust me, those kids are rolling their eyes at things those elite coaches say too.

The amount of eye rolls during a speech has as much relation to winning as the color of Gatorade you drink at practice.

The important stuff is the scheme, how the scheme is taught to individuals and the overall player-coach relationship w/ levels of respect. Everything else is just window dressing.

Yea, if our All American wasn't an All American and was an untalented kid, then yea, he would be on the bench. No clue where you were going with that comment.

You believe way too much in extrinsic motivation and its effects, in my opinion. Our All-America is an instrinsically motivated kid. He gets his work done and doesn't need anyone motivating him. Your best players? Intrinsically motivated kids 95 % of the time.

Just because you are a big time head coach doesn't mean kids do not roll their eyes at you. I have worked around many of the best baseball coaches in the country while working for USA Baseball. Trust me, those kids are rolling their eyes at things those elite coaches say too.

The amount of eye rolls during a speech has as much relation to winning as the color of Gatorade you drink at practice.

The important stuff is the scheme, how the scheme is taught to individuals and the overall player-coach relationship w/ levels of respect. Everything else is just window dressing.

Football is different than baseball. Baseball is an individual sport. You make a play, you make a pitch, you hit a home run, you hit into a double play.

Football is much more team oriented. It matters how you address individuals, sure. But it matters how you address the team as a whole, too.

Rolling your eyes is a matter of respect, and if you have one guy who isn't bought in 100% on a football team, it is going to show. Players depend on other players to make the unit as a whole succeed. Baseball is TOTALLY different.

Football is different than baseball. Baseball is an individual sport. You make a play, you make a pitch, you hit a home run, you hit into a double play.

Football is much more team oriented. It matters how you address individuals, sure. But it matters how you address the team as a whole, too.

Rolling your eyes is a matter of respect, and if you have one guy who isn't bought in 100% on a football team, it is going to show. Players depend on other players to make the unit as a whole succeed. Baseball is TOTALLY different.

While football is team oriented, you still rely on winning one on one battles. You rely on individuals winning their small games. That's baseball too. A bench player in baseball not bought in 100 % and a bench player in football not bought in 100 % has the same effect... Just because you roll your eyes at a speech does not mean you are not bought in 100 %.

Coaching is coaching. Coaching is 100 % all about relationships. Understanding your kids to get the best out of them. All coaching deals with players on an individual basis. This means within drills themselves with the position coach dictating how to do things to individuals and doing it 1 on 1. If you can coach one sport and be successful, you can coach any sport as long as you have someone with the sport knowledge to offset your lack of sporting knowledge.

Rolling eyes is an example I was given and used, but more often guys smile during these speeches b/c they find it funny. I am not sure why this is a tough concept. It isn't as much respect as we have heard this same thing 30 times. Guys laugh about it after practice. You don't think guys are making jokes about orange being the new fast when they are playing things like Madden or doing classwork or something? It's little jokes you make and those little jokes build team camaraderie.

I have made as many comments as I can about this, but the key thing I want to tell you guys is if you have to motivate your team with extrinsic means, it doesn't matter how talented you are, you are going to lose. Phrasing things in different manners (like cruise control) is done so that you can reach a kid by saying something a different way and letting the light click. Same with using different cadences of voice. All you are trying to do is have a message conveyed in a different manner that makes sense to a certain individual.

I think the clever word play would wear on me after awhile.

In a Danny McBride voice.

There is no "i" in team. Ok yes, technically there is an "m" and an "e", which you could technically put together to spell "me". Yes, you got me there. But it's spelled backwards and no one spells things backwards so f*** off.

While football is team oriented, you still rely on winning one on one battles. You rely on individuals winning their small games. That's baseball too. A bench player in baseball not bought in 100 % and a bench player in football not bought in 100 % has the same effect... Just because you roll your eyes at a speech does not mean you are not bought in 100 %.

Coaching is coaching. Coaching is 100 % all about relationships. Understanding your kids to get the best out of them. All coaching deals with players on an individual basis. This means within drills themselves with the position coach dictating how to do things to individuals and doing it 1 on 1. If you can coach one sport and be successful, you can coach any sport as long as you have someone with the sport knowledge to offset your lack of sporting knowledge.

Rolling eyes is an example I was given and used, but more often guys smile during these speeches b/c they find it funny. I am not sure why this is a tough concept. It isn't as much respect as we have heard this same thing 30 times. Guys laugh about it after practice. You don't think guys are making jokes about orange being the new fast when they are playing things like Madden or doing classwork or something? It's little jokes you make and those little jokes build team camaraderie.

I have made as many comments as I can about this, but the key thing I want to tell you guys is if you have to motivate your team with extrinsic means, it doesn't matter how talented you are, you are going to lose. Phrasing things in different manners (like cruise control) is done so that you can reach a kid by saying something a different way and letting the light click. Same with using different cadences of voice. All you are trying to do is have a message conveyed in a different manner that makes sense to a certain individual.

I don't think it's right to completely gloss over the team dynamic and how head coaches address teams as a whole. You say all coaching deals with players on an individual basis, but that's minimizing it and not telling the whole story.

I said I agree that it matters how individuals are addressed, it is very important, but with football especially, with 100+ athletes on the team, it matters how you address the team, too and how you motivate them. It does, especially early on in your tenure.

You have athletes who have been on losing teams, have been a part of a couple different coaching staffs. It matters how you address them and the message you are sending. If you've been there for 5 years? It may not matter as much. But it does matter, especially in this day and age.

I think Babers ended the media time that way because he was feeling the humidity. I get the same way.

I don't think it's right to completely gloss over the team dynamic and how head coaches address teams as a whole. You say all coaching deals with players on an individual basis, but that's minimizing it and not telling the whole story.

I said I agree that it matters how individuals are addressed, it is very important, but with football especially, with 100+ athletes on the team, it matters how you address the team, too and how you motivate them. It does, especially early on in your tenure.

You have athletes who have been on losing teams, have been a part of a couple different coaching staffs. It matters how you address them and the message you are sending. If you've been there for 5 years? It may not matter as much. But it does matter, especially in this day and age.
Both of you have valid points.

21f31af2b0c03fe650ae19f8cce43175.jpg

i approve of the GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors