Day Six Spring Football Practice Saturday 3/5/16 7:30 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Day Six Spring Football Practice Saturday 3/5/16 7:30

It's more that this is a system where fit is extremely important. I'm not downplaying Mahoney's value to the team last season. However, this system requires accuracy and quick decision making. Mahoney's gameplan last year consisted of checking the first option, and if it wasn't available, taking off running. We need a QB who can make reads, stay in the pocket, and deliver an accurate ball.

On Mahoney's 1 step and 3 step drops last year, which are generally high percentage completion passes, he was very poor. I think he'd do well at a non-Power 5 school. I just don't think he's right for the system and would rather have Culpepper or Wilson as the backup if we want to win games in 2016 if (god forbid) Dungey gets hurt.
I believe he was referring to Wilson

It's more that this is a system where fit is extremely important. I'm not downplaying Mahoney's value to the team last season. However, this system requires accuracy and quick decision making. Mahoney's gameplan last year consisted of checking the first option, and if it wasn't available, taking off running. We need a QB who can make reads, stay in the pocket, and deliver an accurate ball.

On Mahoney's 1 step and 3 step drops last year, which are generally high percentage completion passes, he was very poor. I think he'd do well at a non-Power 5 school. I just don't think he's right for the system and would rather have Culpepper or Wilson as the backup if we want to win games in 2016 if (god forbid) Dungey gets hurt.
I was talking about Wilson.

Im interested in how Womack is being used .. no word on him yet as far as I can tell

Im interested in how Womack is being used .. no word on him yet as far as I can tell
I've seen him practicing as a wide out in the practice videos.

The issue with Wilson is that he has ZERO threat to run. And his passing is like Cooney's shooting, I don't see it... It's like the Emperor's new clothes, just because everyone says it, doesn't make it true...

Im not totally counting out Mahoney as the #3 or even the back up. He's not overly accurate but has zip on his throws, he's not athletic but broke on some good runs. What he does have is heart. I'm not sure Austin has that.
Wilson has no heart. I see it in his eyes and in his demeanor. For me that cancels out his other strengths. Mahoney was a walk on JUCO QB that wasn't bothered by LSU or Clemson national rankings. He just played. We only lost by 10 to both of those teams.
Tough to show a new coach that he has heart in practice. While I agree he does, heart doesn't equate to accuracy.

Depth chart will be based on what he puts on film in practice and scrimmages. You can make runs in scrimmages but if you miss a ton of throws, I would guess he wouldn't be viewed as a viable option over someone who can make the throws.

Just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of Wilson and Mahoney. Austin seems like a great kid and hard worker. Has a strong arm, can make all the throws but he falls apart when pass protection breaks down. His decision making is poor when that happens. I dont see the confidence in his abilities. You need heart and confidence at QB. The whole team feeds off that. If he can overcome that in this new system he will start over Dungy. He has the better arm.
He played in offenses that were horrid that really didn't have an identity.

Just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of Wilson and Mahoney. Austin seems like a great kid and hard worker. Has a strong arm, can make all the throws but he falls apart when pass protection breaks down. His decision making is poor when that happens. I dont see the confidence in his abilities. You need heart and confidence at QB. The whole team feeds off that. If he can overcome that in this new system he will start over Dungy. He has the better arm.

I just don't see any chance that Austin plays over Dungey.

And I really question whether when push comes to shove he can beat out Zach.

Zach showed me much more last year than Austin has ever shown me - even with Austin's arm strength.

But, I'm rooting for all of them.

The issue with Wilson is that he has ZERO threat to run. And his passing is like Cooney's shooting, I don't see it... It's like the Emperor's new clothes, just because everyone says it, doesn't make it true...
We don't need a QB that's a threat to run in this system, so this doesn't matter.

We don't need a QB that's a threat to run in this system, so this doesn't matter.
Yes, I agree with you, but Austin can't move, period...

Tom Brady & Peyton Manning couldn't either.
Lol, so Austin's arm is of that caliber?

Edit: BG's qb last year looks like Jesse Owens compared to Wilson...

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you, but Austin can't move, period...

Correct.

austin-broken-neck.jpg

Lol, so Austin's arm is of that caliber?

Edit: BG's qb last year looks like Jesse Owens compared to Wilson...
His point being that you don't need to be able to move to be a successful quarterback.

Wilson wanted to come here, even after being told he wasn't going to fit into McDonald's system. He's stuck it out through muddled crap and a video game make-your-own-offense. This offense, which doesn't require QB mobility because of short routes and quick decisions, could be a better fit for him.

His point being that you don't need to be able to move to be a successful quarterback.

Wilson wanted to come here, even after being told he wasn't going to fit into McDonald's system. He's stuck it out through muddled crap and a video game make-your-own-offense. This offense, which doesn't require QB mobility because of short routes and quick decisions, could be a better fit for him.
I really hope you're right... Because a scholarship qb that couldn't help this program over the 2 year disaster at that position is a wasted scholly. It's like Chino on the BB side...

I really hope you're right... Because a scholarship qb that couldn't help this program over the 2 year disaster at that position is a wasted scholly. It's like Chino on the BB side...
Not even close to comparable.

The guy's not THAT bad. He's got 2 years left, has never been a part of a system that suits his skills, and isn't expected to start anyway. Guy's got a clean slate, like Babers said.

Your post was fine, you always back your stuff up with knowledge. Never have any issue with what you bring to the boards. Just the general "this kid sucks" stuff is getting old.
I just don't see any chance that Austin plays over Dungey.

And I really question whether when push comes to shove he can beat out Zach.

Zach showed me much more last year than Austin has ever shown me - even with Austin's arm strength.

But, I'm rooting for all of them.
My statement is based on the assumption that Austin have corrected his flaws. He has the better arm, throws the best long ball. He is just as accurate as any of them. Ive already made statements that supported Mahoney.

Last edited:
He played in offenses that were horrid that really didn't have an identity.
We can talk schemes all day. One thing you cant measure is heart. Again I like his arm and willningness to get better. What is he going to do after he throws a pick? when he's under pressure? Will he bounceback after he gets sacked a couple times? Those are my questions.

Tom Brady & Peyton Manning couldn't either.

This reminds me of a quote, which always cracked me up, but I can't remember who said it.
Anyway, in discussing the mobility (or rather, lack thereof) of QB's of the time, the speaker said,
"Spare change 'moves around in the pocket' more than Bernie Kosar does". :p

You can be an effective QB w/o being able to run.
Problem is, that's been the best part of the Officer's game.
And Wilson's worst. Which is why he got leapfrogged last year, given the option scheme we were running.
(that, and his propensity to complete passes to the other team.)

IDEALLY, Dungey takes every meaningful snap this year and next;
(oh, and leads us to an ACC Championship, a NC, wins the Heisman, and goes Pro as the #1 pick. :D)
Wilson comes in for garbage time, Rex redshirts, and the Officer continues to be an awesome teammate and leader in the locker room and on the bench.
It's possible Mahoney can improve his accuracy with all the reps they'll be getting moving forward, and I certainly hope he does.
Kid is a gamer, and having some wheels as Plan B when things go awry is nice to have.

bnoro said:

There's a bit of running that the BG QB did last year. Not a huge amount - but mobility is important.

We can talk schemes all day. One thing you cant measure is heart. Again I like his arm and willningness to get better. What is he going to do after he throws a pick? when he's under pressure? Will he bounceback after he gets sacked a couple times? Those are my questions.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of these kids...Mahoney's heart and work ethic, Wilson's perseverance and willingness to try to improve and work hard no matter what.

They are all Orange and I will support them all. Was just voicing my opinion on the depth chart and how I think it will look going into the season taking into consideration that Babers said that they all have a clean slate. I would guess that our QB coach has already watched tape on them all and has an idea of what each is capable of even though Babers says he won't.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of these kids...Mahoney's heart and work ethic, Wilson's perseverance and willingness to try to improve and work hard no matter what.

They are all Orange and I will support them all. Was just voicing my opinion on the depth chart and how I think it will look going into the season taking into consideration that Babers said that they all have a clean slate. I would guess that our QB coach has already watched tape on them all and has an idea of what each is capable of even though Babers says he won't.

I 100% agree. I can't imagine that the position coaches haven't watched game tape on their specific guys. Any tendencies or poor technique picked up on film can be worked on in spring ball.