Day Six Spring Football Practice Saturday 3/5/16 7:30 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day Six Spring Football Practice Saturday 3/5/16 7:30

I think Mahoney will be third for now. He has game experience. Atleast they know how he would react in a real game. Mahoney was not terrible vs two of the best defenses in the country. I dont think Culpepper will pass him up until Fall. By next spring Culpepper can possibly be the #2.

I am praying that this year it is irrelevant who our third and fourth stringer are.

Got my fingers and toes crossed.

Am I missing something? Mahoney was a gamer but don't we need someone with accuracy in this offense? Mahoney just ran all the time and missed a million open throws.

Not to be a jerk but I don't really want to see him anywhere near this offense, even as 3rd string.

Am I missing something? Mahoney was a gamer but don't we need someone with accuracy in this offense? Mahoney just ran all the time and missed a million open throws.

Not to be a jerk but I don't really want to see him anywhere near this offense, even as 3rd string.
Zach is going to surprise a bunch of folks this year.

Zach is going to surprise a bunch of folks this year.
Count me among them. I will be surprised if he plays at all. No knock on the kid - I hope SU avoids injuries and he never sees the field.

Im not totally counting out Mahoney as the #3 or even the back up. He's not overly accurate but has zip on his throws, he's not athletic but broke on some good runs. What he does have is heart. I'm not sure Austin has that.

I am basing my list on not only game experience but how well each at this point has proven to throw the ball. Which is the main thing that this offense is supposed to be good at.

We will see how accurate each is, which I think will be the biggest determining factor for the chart as a whole. I put Mahoney behind everyone because he not very accurate.

Don't forget that Wilson has a bunch of game experience too, albeit he was running for his life most of the time.
Wilson has no heart. I see it in his eyes and in his demeanor. For me that cancels out his other strengths. Mahoney was a walk on JUCO QB that wasn't bothered by LSU or Clemson national rankings. He just played. We only lost by 10 to both of those teams.

Last edited:
I would be happy if he did, but I am skeptical.
I'm with you. Nobody can ever take his three gorgeous TD passes against LSU away from him. Still, he does not have the skill set that we need for this offense. I think with some time he could be a hell of an option QB, but we don't run the option anymore. Still, best of luck to him. I hope he just blows the doors off this year.

Mahoney is the guy we all admire for his moxy. He gets thrown into an impossible situation and shines. He has observers all over the country asking why he wasn't the starter. While Lester deserves a great deal of credit for installing option plays for him, Mahoney executed it to perfection. The problem was that once teams saw it on film, the surprise was gone and he returned to planet earth.

I really admire this kid and root for him and I won't sell him short. That said, he has a lot in front of him. Thanks Officer - hang in there.

Mahoney is the guy we all admire for his moxy. He gets thrown into an impossible situation and shines. He has observers all over the country asking why he wasn't the starter. While Lester deserves a great deal of credit for installing option plays for him, Mahoney executed it to perfection. The problem was that once teams saw it on film, the surprise was gone and he returned to planet earth.

I really admire this kid and root for him and I won't sell him short. That said, he has a lot in front of him. Thanks Officer - hang in there.
I agree with this.

Don't forget that if our defense was a little more stellar, we would have beaten LSU. I know, "would have", but how many kids do we have that have the nerve to go in and compete like he did. He had some terrible passes that were too low and not accurate, which I pass off to being nervous. Is he going to win the Heisman? No, however he is serviceable as a back up whether it is an option package or pro style. No offense to Wilson but I would take Mahoney over him any day until proven otherwise.

I agree, you just can never count a kid like that out and I think he earns the #2 spot behind Dungey.
Wilson has ZERO chops
Lot's of Wilson bashing going on today. The kid has not played in an offense that fits his skill set. I would have loved to see this kid play in the Hackett offense. The kid can play, but you guys keep bashing him...

Lot's of Wilson bashing going on today. The kid has not played in an offense that fits his skill set. I would have loved to see this kid play in the Hackett offense. The kid can play, but you guys keep bashing him...
Just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of Wilson and Mahoney. Austin seems like a great kid and hard worker. Has a strong arm, can make all the throws but he falls apart when pass protection breaks down. His decision making is poor when that happens. I dont see the confidence in his abilities. You need heart and confidence at QB. The whole team feeds off that. If he can overcome that in this new system he will start over Dungy. He has the better arm.

Just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of Wilson and Mahoney. Austin seems like a great kid and hard worker. Has a strong arm, can make all the throws but he falls apart when pass protection breaks down. His decision making is poor when that happens. I dont see the confidence in his abilities. You need heart and confidence at QB. The whole team feeds off that. If he can overcome that in this new system he will start over Dungy. He has the better arm.
Your post was fine, you always back your stuff up with knowledge. Never have any issue with what you bring to the boards. Just the general "this kid sucks" stuff is getting old.

Don't forget that if our defense was a little more stellar, we would have beaten LSU. I know, "would have", but how many kids do we have that have the nerve to go in and compete like he did. He had some terrible passes that were too low and not accurate, which I pass off to being nervous. Is he going to win the Heisman? No, however he is serviceable as a back up whether it is an option package or pro style. No offense to Wilson but I would take Mahoney over him any day until proven otherwise.
I think that is a stretch. LSU played really poorly and we were not playing the first team at the end. He is a very good ball handler and great at the option. However, his passing was poor/inconsistent in other games as well so I don't think it was just nerves. That is fair with respect to Wilson, although we can't be proven otherwise unless he plays. If Wilson is Babers' backup I think that says something. I haven't given up on him either. All the QB's might improve under the new staff/system.
Hopefully, Dungey will be healthy and we won't have to find out.

I think that is a stretch. LSU played really poorly and we were not playing the first team at the end. He is a very good ball handler and great at the option. However, his passing was poor/inconsistent in other games as well so I don't think it was just nerves. That is fair with respect to Wilson, although we can't be proven otherwise unless he plays. If Wilson is Babers' backup I think that says something. I haven't given up on him either. All the QB's might improve under the new staff/system.
Hopefully, Dungey will be healthy and we won't have to find out.
I have to laugh that every time SU plays poorly it's attributed to the difference in talent level and when SU plays well it's attributed to the other team playing really poorly. There is nothing to suggest that LSU played "really poorly" against us. It was a pretty average game for them based on their entire season.

Your post was fine, you always back your stuff up with knowledge. Never have any issue with what you bring to the boards. Just the general "this kid sucks" stuff is getting old.

It's more that this is a system where fit is extremely important. I'm not downplaying Mahoney's value to the team last season. However, this system requires accuracy and quick decision making. Mahoney's gameplan last year consisted of checking the first option, and if it wasn't available, taking off running. We need a QB who can make reads, stay in the pocket, and deliver an accurate ball.

On Mahoney's 1 step and 3 step drops last year, which are generally high percentage completion passes, he was very poor. I think he'd do well at a non-Power 5 school. I just don't think he's right for the system and would rather have Culpepper or Wilson as the backup if we want to win games in 2016 if (god forbid) Dungey gets hurt.