Day Sixteen Fall Football Practice: #20, 8/22/16 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day Sixteen Fall Football Practice: #20, 8/22/16

"Devin Butler started practice with RBs, Moe Neal with WRs."

I know Babers and his staff know what they are doing and I understand the cross training but wondering why they seem to be practicing at these positions everyday. I would guess maybe Moe has the plays down at RB and the WR practice is more benficial maybe? But Butler looked real good at WR in some practice highlights and I would think additional time at WR would be more beneficial if that is where he is going to play.
Isn't it just the first 10 minutes of practice when they're working on some skills drills. We don't know how they're lining up all practice.

I know Babers and his staff know what they are doing and I understand the cross training but wondering why they seem to be practicing at these positions everyday. I would guess maybe Moe has the plays down at RB and the WR practice is more benficial maybe? But Butler looked real good at WR in some practice highlights and I would think additional time at WR would be more beneficial if that is where he is going to play.
In an earlier press conf Babers said "he will be playing running back for us". He wants to keep developing his good hands because RB don't typically catch passes in his offense.

Moe might potentially be Brisly's replacement after this year. In one of the practice videos he ran a route and one of the coaches yelled "I dont know why you're messing with that running back stuff"

With him only being a year behind Strickland and Fredericks, he might see the field more often at slot.. And then he can be on the field at the same time as those RBs. Just a thought, more weapons the better.

Moe might potentially be Brisly's replacement after this year. In one of the practice videos he ran a route and one of the coaches yelled "I dont know why you're messing with that running back stuff"

With him only being a year behind Strickland and Fredericks, he might see the field more often at slot.. And then he can be on the field at the same time as those RBs. Just a thought, more weapons the better.
I agree that he may very well be the eventual replacement. Seems like he may be an even better fit in the slot. Just concerned about RB this year if he wasn't practicing there very much. We are not very deep there and you need to have three that are solid. But if he is truly just practicing there a little and not almost exclusively I am less concerned. I guess if he starts the game as the RB3 maybe we can even get him some snaps at slot WR as well along with a few carries. He could alway move to RB solely if an injury occurs. As long as he knows what he is doing at RB.

Butler is listed as 6-3 195, Neal 5-11 169. Doesn't that suggest that Butler would be better off at RB and Neal at WR?

Butler is listed as 6-3 195, Neal 5-11 169. Doesn't that suggest that Butler would be better off at RB and Neal at WR?

Edit: nope. They are just taking reps in the drills in the portion of practice open to the media - to learn transferable skills (such as route running and catching for a RB in WR drills, ball security for a WR in RB drills).

Last edited:

Size is somewhat irrelevant, it comes down to skill set.

Randy Moss was 6'4" and 210 lbs
Walter Payton was 5'10" 200 lbs

Should Walter have been put at receiver? Taller and slightly heavier doesn't mean Randy would have made a better RB.

Size is somewhat irrelevant, it comes down to skill set.

Randy Moss was 6'4" and 210 lbs
Walter Payton was 5'10" 200 lbs

Should Walter have been put at receiver? Taller and slightly heavier doesn't mean Randy would have made a better RB.

He wasn't 169.

Chris Johnson was 5'10" 180 in college.
Warrick Dunn was about the same or even lighter.

It's about skill set, not size.
Not to mention Devin Butler looks like a prototype outside WR.

Don't understand why they don't move Perkins back to RB.

There aren't too many 6-3 running backs, as in it's extremely rare.

Or 169 pound running backs, unless they are about 5-7.

I remember some 6-3 running backs who did very well:

Last edited:
Chris Johnson was 5'10" 180 in college.
Warrick Dunn was about the same or even lighter.

It's about skill set, not size.

5-10 180 is different than 5-11 169.

Per his highlight film, Neal's high school seems to have used him both ways, so I don't think his "skill set" is limited to running back.
Junior Year Full Season

He's a freshman, he'll get stronger and gain weight.

I remember you have the same discussions about Doug hogue

It's not the same game, and you are using Jim Brown as an example?

It's not the same game, and you are using Jim Brown as an example?

Nor is Jim Brown on the roster. But a 6-3 running back has a better shot than a 169 pound one.

I was going to post a thread about this, but I will just ask here, I haven't been following the freshman class too much, who is this years Freshman who is going to have the biggest impact on this years team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom