Class of 2015 - DB/CB Kielan Whitner (GA) Signed LOI | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DB/CB Kielan Whitner (GA) Signed LOI

Kielan Whitner‏@Twitty_Whitty25 14m14 minutes ago
Thankful for the offer from Syracuse
1f536.png
1f537.png
#Orange

Very interesting. Definitely not a name I've heard mentioned before.

Free article from 2014
http://recruiting.At their request,.../1370982-kielan-whitner-one-to-watch-for-2015

The state of Georgia is loaded with talent across the board for the class of 2015. One player to keep an eye on from the Peach state is from Lawrenceville (GA) Mountain View high
school and his name is Kielan Whitner.
Kielan Whitner is a defensive back/wide receiver prospect for Mountain View high school. Whitner was all region as a sophomore and first team all region as a junior. Whitner is a great student with a 3.8 GPA and checks in at 6-feet, 180-pounds with a 33-inch vertical and 4.5 40-yard dash.
Whitner plays both sides of the ball for Mountain View and shows great upside at
both the defensive back and wide receiver position.
He is a long strider, very smooth in his routes and does a good job of getting in and out of his breaks. I really love the way he adjusts his body when the ball is in the air. Whitner does a great job of extending his arms and catching the ball at its highest point seemingly before defensive backs can make a play on the football.
As a defensive back prospect, Whitner has the ability to play corner or the safety position. He shows a very nice break on the ball and has great instincts. He does what college coaches look for in young corners, plays the ball when it's in the air and is not afraid to go up and get it. Whitner does a good job of wrapping up and is a sure tackler. He is a very technically sound corner with a lot of upside.

Sounds like a last-minute "B" lister who could have some upside. Air Force isn't a terrible program, so if they were interested he has to be decent.

Sounds like a last-minute "B" lister who could have some upside. Air Force isn't a terrible program, so if they were interested he has to be decent.

It could be that he wasn't on our coaches radar until Moreland was hired. Plus I missed the last line in the story I posted from Jan 2014...

"Whitner has interest from a number of schools including Georgia, Duke, Mississippi State, UCLA, Iowa, Missouri, East Carolina, Auburn and Arizona."

seen harvard and yale also offered so with that he would have no problem with academics if he decides to flip..

It could be that he wasn't on our coaches radar until Moreland was hired. Plus I missed the last line in the story I posted from Jan 2014...

"Whitner has interest from a number of schools including Georgia, Duke, Mississippi State, UCLA, Iowa, Missouri, East Carolina, Auburn and Arizona."

Not to be a jerk at all, but interest means virtually nothing.

Not only are they not terrible, they are solid. I know they play in a group of 5 league, but they went 10-3 last season. Considering their players are there mainly to serve after they are done with college, 10-3 is that much more impressive.

if there is a position that someone who goes to air force/army can play at a p5 level its DB. those kids are usually the really good athletes who dont always have the size the big schools want but will hit and are smart on the field. far different than getting Dline guys who are usually undersized at the academy

Bam are trying to insinuate that another BOOM may be coming this weekend :)
I believe he is. Id also believe that it's highly likely he is ours by the end of the weekend.

Not to be a jerk at all, but interest means virtually nothing.
not true ... I had interest from St Leo college in Florida for baseball when I was 13 and a freshmen in high school (first letters) ... I always remembered them, even if I never went there.

It was a mental memory that will stay with me, and has for 18 years.

When my two sons get older, if they are blessed to receive interest from colleges for a sport - it is a certain type of excitement that is hard to explain and I still to this day have those letters from St Leo in storage.

not true ... I had interest from St Leo college in Florida for baseball when I was 13 and a freshmen in high school (first letters) ... I always remembered them, even if I never went there.

When my two sons get older, if they are blessed to receive interest from colleges for a sport - it is a certain type of excitement that is hard to explain and I still to this day have those letters from St Leo in storage.

That's not what I meant.

Just because you receive interest from a school doesn't mean you are going to receive a scholarship offer.

There are a billion letters sent out by college sport programs - not all of them are worthy of scholarship offers.

SUFan44 said:
That's not what I meant. Just because you receive interest from a school doesn't mean you are going to receive a scholarship offer. There are a billion letters sent out by college sport programs - not all of them are worthy of scholarship offers.

I think you're assuming interest means only letters...

th

I think you're assuming interest means only letters...

And I think you're assuming interest is more than calling about a player or sending a letter...

Until there's a scholarship offered by a program, the school being referred to isn't that interested. They're either doing due diligence or you're a plan B/C.

SUFan44 said:
And I think you're assuming interest is more than calling about a player or sending a letter... Until there's a scholarship offered by a program, the school being referred to isn't that interested. They're either doing due diligence or you're a plan B/C.

Yep. If they are doing due diligence or you're plan B/C - that's much different than the stock letters most D1 athletes receive.