Class of 2024 - DB Ibn McDaniels (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/13/24) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Ibn McDaniels (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/13/24)

Exactly and my post is in no way knocking the kid. I like the offer, as I said. But to say he should be a 4 star is a bit of a reach. He may be a 4 star but to expect recruiting sites to deem him a 4 star with limited games and no camps (for right or wrong) isn’t realistic.
my post said he should be rated much higher than an 80 because of his measurables. You responded no he shouldn’t. Any player with a P5 offer I think automatically gets an 80 rating. With knowing his Sr stats, watching his Sr tape and given his measurables any legitimate talent evaluator is giving him a higher rating than 80. I never said he should be a 4 star. The only person who really mentioned 4 star was anglerman who said he had a 4 star tape. Though I do think it’s possible he very well could be a 4 star talent but the services won’t give him that and maybe shouldn’t. They probably have not verified the measureables and have not worked him out in an in person camp. There are several other confirmation check boxes they run through including what other big offers does he have, he has none. Those offers would reinforce their evaluations. He only proved his talent for one season and not two because of injury. Hence I said they give him an 85 would be my guess. Some flyers are better than others. I think this one is a great flyer.

Last edited:
East Hanover. I forgot, that she’s been with Regeneron (in Tarrytown) since 2017.

I’m fine with this signing as others have mentioned, he’s got the measureables. In Fran I Trust.
I wasn’t involved, but my (now former) firm designed Regeneron’s current campus. Regeneron is currently planning a HUGE expansion.

The best DB coach in America wants to develop a 6’3 CB who runs a 4.4 40. Case closed. Lack of offers doesn’t concern me with Fran like it did with Dino. FB said it himself, he fears no coach in the country and he proved that with the caliber of players he targeted and landed already in his tenure. He literally gave us our best class in modern recruiting history in less than a month. If FB is taking a flier on this kid it’s not out of necessity like it was with Dino, it’s because FB sees something he likes and thinks he can develop him. Good enough for me.

The best DB coach in America wants to develop a 6’3 CB who runs a 4.4 40. Case closed. Lack of offers doesn’t concern me with Fran like it did with Dino. FB said it himself, he fears no coach in the country and he proved that with the caliber of players he targeted and landed already in his tenure. He literally gave us our best class in modern recruiting history in less than a month. If FB is taking a flier on this kid it’s not out of necessity like it was with Dino, it’s because FB sees something he likes and thinks he can develop him. Good enough for me.
He said he wants the players with measurables, and wants to coach them up.

You can also see on his tape that he never gives up on plays and even if the comp isn’t great (I’m not sure personally) you can still see his body movement, anticipation and positioning for cover skills. Now the schools Elizabeth played this year, many are schools that put out P4 talent so I don’t think the comp is horrible.
From my awareness (as this is in the area I live) the comp isn’t great, but it’s still good and in a state where the comp has been seen as high universally. This area and this comp produced guys like Rashan Gary (played 3 years at SPF and his 4th at Paramus Catholic where Chris Partridge was accused of tampering with him to get him to Paramus Catholic).

Stop! You are just making too much sense!

It doesn’t matter what recruiting sites say period. They rated our 2 backup QBs as 4 star players out of high school. Not exactly correct.

If you watch his video you can see he has elite athleticism and great size. I think he has a ton of potential. I bet when Fran saw his tape he was like whoa I got to get this kid. He could play safety or WR, he could grow in to a LB as well.

First, your 2nd paragraph is implying something I didn’t say and I specifically stated I wasn’t saying. Especially since I knew someone would post what you did.

Beyond that. Whether you like it or not, colleges with the highest ranked classes tend to also finish at the end of the year with better seasons. Mentioning our backup QB’s as your analysis/proof recruit rankings don’t work, maybe is a little small of a sample size. Nobody says recruiting sites get it right all the time, it’d be absurd to think that. And if you read what rankings are based off it’s actually based on potential failure rate to some degree. A 1 star is less likely to make an impact in college, a 3 star has the potential to make an impact but may not and a 5 star has the highest % to make an impact.

my post said he should be rated much higher than an 80 because of his measurables. You responded no he shouldn’t. Any player with a P5 offer I think automatically gets an 80 rating. With knowing his Sr stats, watching his Sr tape and given his measurables any legitimate talent evaluator is giving him a higher rating than 80. I never said he should be a 4 star. The only person who really mentioned 4 star was anglerman who said he had a 4 star tape. Though I do think it’s possible he very well could be a 4 star talent but the services won’t give him that and maybe shouldn’t. They probably have not verified the measureables and have not worked him out in an in person camp. There are several other confirmation check boxes they run through including what other big offers does he have, he has none. Those offers would reinforce their evaluations. He only proved his talent for one season and not two because of injury. Hence I said they give him an 85 would be my guess. Some flyers are better than others. I think this one is a great flyer.

I think we’re actually on the same page.

From Mikey Breaks... who interviewed his HS Defensive Coordinator and coach:

While coach Wilson believes the biggest key for McDaniels to make an early impact at Syracuse is working on zone defense and overall zone awareness, he also believes McDaniels has the potential to be an NFL caliber player.

"You might think I'm crazy, but I believe he has what it takes to make it to the NFL someday," Wilson said. "My head coach (John Fiore) will say the same thing. He has the prototypical size for a CB and is still developing. So he has the potential to improve significantly and coach Brown does a great job with DBs."

From Mikey Breaks... who interviewed his HS Defensive Coordinator and coach:

Mikey

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

Absolutely and its ok to spend some time researching why Fran likes the kid despite his lack of P5 interest. You might see a kid with similar traits Alijah Clark had in HS who missed out on camp/showcase opportunities. There are no wasted scholarships now. You can always replace them with the transfer portal.
Over on 247 under Rutgers transfers in Dohn gave an all American transfer fro Monmouth who is 6-0-190 a 90 rating as a 4 star.
Coming from that level of competition, you need to prove yourself before you get that type of rating.

Tape reminds me of when I watched Bromley's tape. Has the physical attributes, makes plays, gets after it. You can't teach heart.
Thanks coach McGinty. :)

This is not a knock on Ibn at all. Glad we have him. It’s more a comment on rating services and recruiting.

But 24 7 has SU’s HS recruiting ranking as #8 in the ACC. We are the only school in the top 10 with a player/recruit who is unranked. (Cal also has one. The only other one in the ACC.)

First, your 2nd paragraph is implying something I didn’t say and I specifically stated I wasn’t saying. Especially since I knew someone would post what you did.

Beyond that. Whether you like it or not, colleges with the highest ranked classes tend to also finish at the end of the year with better seasons. Mentioning our backup QB’s as your analysis/proof recruit rankings don’t work, maybe is a little small of a sample size. Nobody says recruiting sites get it right all the time, it’d be absurd to think that. And if you read what rankings are based off it’s actually based on potential failure rate to some degree. A 1 star is less likely to make an impact in college, a 3 star has the potential to make an impact but may not and a 5 star has the highest % to make an impact.
For gods sake the guy has brought in the best class Syracuse has had in the modern era in less than two months. The kids measurables are off the chart and he comes basically from Frans backyard. Fran knows every coach in jersey and Fran offers this kid and you question it. Seriously i get the ratings thing to a point but this kid is a take and will most likely end up starting in two years.

For gods sake the guy has brought in the best class Syracuse has had in the modern era in less than two months. The kids measurables are off the chart and he comes basically from Frans backyard. Fran knows every coach in jersey and Fran offers this kid and you question it. Seriously i get the ratings thing to a point but this kid is a take and will most likely end up starting in two years.

Why are you replying to me? Your post has zero relevance to anything I said. I said the kid was a take and I trust any player Fran brings in. Weird post.

Boundary corner
I saw that too (he's tough in M2M - hard to get a release on), but mostly I saw free safety. Kid is big and runs really well. Not sure about the competition, but no one got separation on him and he was able to keep his eyes on the QB ... including leaving his man to run somebody down with good angles in the open field. Brings the wood on tackles. Easy to see why Fran offered him.

Last edited:
This is not a knock on Ibn at all. Glad we have him. It’s more a comment on rating services and recruiting.

But 24 7 has SU’s HS recruiting ranking as #8 in the ACC. We are the only school in the top 10 with a player/recruit who is unranked. (Cal also has one. The only other one in the ACC.)
If 247 revised Fatim Diggs and Jahide Lesaine's rankings from their 80, which is basically not ranked, and gave them both 85's, Syracuse average recruit ranking would go up from 87.37 to 87.68. That is pretty damn impressive. That would be the same average as UNC who is sitting just above us. In the overall rankings they are sitting at #30 in the class with just two more recruits than us. That average would essentially be tied for #6 in the ACC out of 17 teams.

Last edited:
I guess my question was really about unranked players. Since there are only two in all of the ACC recruiting classes, are P4 teams simply not taking a chance on unranked kids anymore? I know it was always a team taking a flier here and there. Have recruiting services completely flooded the market now? And virtually no kids are unseen? Or has the portal reduced teams’ willingness to take a chance on an unranked HS kid when they can get a transfer instead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom