Class of 2024 - DB Ibn McDaniels (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/13/24) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Ibn McDaniels (NJ) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/13/24)

Yes, you did.

"He could be good but seems like a bit of stretch for Fran to be wasting a scholarship. He should probably be offered a PWO spot."
Nothing about that says I know more than him. I just disagree, you don’t need to know more to think a kid like this probably doesn’t need a scholarship to come here.

Fran certainly knows more, but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend like this kid is going to be a major contributor to the team.

Nothing about that says I know more than him. I just disagree. He certainly knows more, but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend like he’s going to be a contributor to the team.
If you can't see that saying HCFB wasted a scholarship on this kid isn't saying you know more than him, I don't know what to tell you.

Done here. You just don't get it.

What I didn’t say I know more than him, I’m just surprised that a guy who goes out and grabs top talent isn’t saving that spot that for a proven transfer or a higher quality player. Sorry I’m not a huge fan of getting more unrated players with injury concerns. That worked so well the last 8 years. But hey, it’s SUPER impressive that you watched a highlight tape and it’s full of highlights. All I see is a player who couldn’t get scouted in NJ and seemingly only holds 1 P5 offer.

We don’t have to love every single player that gets brought in just because they get a scholarship. Believe it or not, most unrated kids don’t go on to do anything in college, especially at the P5 level.
Here are facts.

Fran was an all-conference DB in college.
Fran has coached some of the best DBs in college and has coached multiple DBs that are in the NFL.
Fran doesn't want wasted scholarship players on the team.
Fran offered the kid a scholarship.

What facts do you have that leads you to believe that the Head Coach shouldn't have offered him a scholarship?

I didn’t say I know more than him, I’m just surprised that a guy who goes out and grabs top talent isn’t saving that spot that for a proven transfer or a higher quality player. Sorry I’m not a huge fan of getting more unrated players with injury concerns. That worked so well the last 8 years. But hey, it’s SUPER impressive that you watched a highlight tape and it’s full of highlights. All I see is a player who couldn’t get scouted in NJ and seemingly only holds 1 P5 offer.

We don’t have to love every single player that gets brought in just because they get a scholarship. Believe it or not, most unrated kids don’t go on to do anything in college, especially at the P5 level.
Your implying you can evaluate DB talent better than Fran Brown who is an elite DB coach. Just because others didn’t know about him doesn’t mean he isn’t any good. I question your ability to evaluate his “highlights”. Sure highlights don’t show mistakes but they do display his athletic abilities which are fantastic. Do you know how rare 6’-3” guys are with legitimate cover skills? And a broken collar bone has no bearing on injury concerns. That heals and it’s over with.

I’m betting PSU and Rutgers were wishing they were involved with this kid sooner or will at least be thinking that in a year or two.

Last edited:
I didn’t say I know more than him, I’m just surprised that a guy who goes out and grabs top talent isn’t saving that spot that for a proven transfer or a higher quality player. Sorry I’m not a huge fan of getting more unrated players with injury concerns. That worked so well the last 8 years. But hey, it’s SUPER impressive that you watched a highlight tape and it’s full of highlights. All I see is a player who couldn’t get scouted in NJ and seemingly only holds 1 P5 offer.

And there is a big difference between unrated kids and low rated kids.

Pfizer?
I chose to stay near where I lived (in Danbury) rather than move to Groton. I took a position with a privately held top-20 German pharma called Boehringer Ingelheim, headquartered in the US in Ridgefield CT.

I have the same facts everyone else has: none that support he’s going to definitely be a super star none saying he’s going to definitely be bad. I see an unrated player with no offers whose highlight tape looks like a highlight tape. It’s has some good tackles, a couple good PBUs and some picks.

Seems like a perfect PWO option. Low risk, high reward. Idk why people are getting so upset, he’s committed so who cares? You dont have to agree with me. We don’t need to bow down on every single offer, sometimes kids aren’t good enough, and more times than not, those kids didn’t see any offers
One reason that kids don't get rated is because they don't attend camps sponsored by recruiting paysites.

You really need to read what you write before hitting Post.

Read your post again. You know what it says?

It says, "I know more than Fran Brown even though I never met the kid or did much research on him."

It also says, "Hey, look! Another Uber-negative post from me!"

Thank you.^^^
Some of the definitive takes in this thread are idiotic. Suddenly we have crootin' experts on the forum who know more about DBs than our new HC who used to (checks notes) coach DBs at back-to-back NC Georgia.
The hubris and lack of self-awareness is fascinating to witness. JMHO

Last edited:
He wasn’t a Syracuse commit 2 weeks ago so it would seem more likely he just didn’t turn enough heads to justify a rating. He could be good but seems like a bit of stretch for Fran to be wasting a scholarship. He should probably be offered a PWO spot. Played on a bad team, injured, has decent stats but I don’t know NJ divisions well, could be like playing on ESM.
The #1 DB coach in the country vs the board know it all. This should age well.

I chose to stay near where I lived (in Danbury) rather than move to Groton. I took a position with a privately held top-20 German pharma called Boehringer Ingelheim, headquartered in the US in Ridgefield CT.
I know it and have been on that campus. Just idol curiosity. I work with all the pharmaceutical companies as an architect and developer

Nothing about that says I know more than him. I just disagree, you don’t need to know more to think a kid like this probably doesn’t need a scholarship to come here.

Fran certainly knows more, but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend like this kid is going to be a major contributor to the team.
Have you actually watched his video??? I’m very certain you haven’t. The kid looks like a complete stud worthy of a 4 star ranking

He wasn’t a Syracuse commit 2 weeks ago so it would seem more likely he just didn’t turn enough heads to justify a rating. He could be good but seems like a bit of stretch for Fran to be wasting a scholarship. He should probably be offered a PWO spot. Played on a bad team, injured, has decent stats but I don’t know NJ divisions well, could be like playing on ESM.
You sound seriously misinformed. You say you don't know the NJ divisions well yet you somehow make foolish declarations like "wasting a scholarship" on a player you know NOTHING about and as if you know more about this recruit than Fran Brown AND Dino Babers Staffs - both of whom positively evaluated then decided to recruit this late bloomer of a prospect. If Fran Brown - the #1 recruiter in the nation - has decided to offer this young man a life-altering college scholarship to play Corner for him, who the hell are you to call it a "waste"? The only "waste" was the time I spent responding to your uninformed ignorance.

Congratulations young Mr. McDaniels, you've made a fine choice. Ignore the haters. Go Ibn, Go Orange!

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason that kids don't get rated is because they don't attend camps sponsored by recruiting paysites.
This is absolutely true. My kid is a very good HS baseball player and there are kids on his HS team ranked in the state. My son is not and (although inherently biased) my son plays better in games and has better stats. However, we haven’t done the circuit and all these 500 pay to play auditions locally or nationally. It makes a massive difference. As far as my son and those things, can only lead a horse to water and there is only so much water in my tank :)

Here are facts.

Fran was an all-conference DB in college - who briefly made it to the NFL.
Fran has coached some of the best DBs in college and has coached multiple DBs that are in the NFL.
Fran doesn't want wasted scholarship players on the team.
Fran offered the kid a scholarship.

What facts do you have that leads you to believe that the Head Coach shouldn't have offered him a scholarship?
Not a single one - talking straight out his arse.

I know it and have been on that campus. Just idol curiosity. I work with all the pharmaceutical companies as an architect and developer
As with IBM, I designed and implemented their compensation, incentive and performance management strategy. Being privately held, they had no stock so it made attraction and retention of top talent challenging. But back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Have you actually watched his video??? I’m very certain you haven’t. The kid looks like a complete stud worthy of a 4 star ranking
To be fair, Ibn was most likely offered based on his measurables (height, 40, vertical) and, more importantly, as a product of the staff's multiple connections in NJ. I don't think much can gleaned from his tape given the level of competition. The OP's "wasted" scholarship declaration is ridiculous without knowledge of what the staff has heard about the kid, let alone taking into account their years of experience identifying and coaching high level DB talent.

Around the time Fran Brown was hired, I read some articles where Kirby Smart discussed Brown's eye for talent. Smart indicated that obviously, Georgia primarily recruits blue chip players given the success they've had recently -- but that Brown was so good that Smart gave him degrees of freedom to identify stud athletes who were darkhorses. That's why Georgia recruited a couple of lower rated players, because Brown flagged them as high-potential studs.

This kid has NFL height for a corner, is track timed at 4.4, and is reportedly a hard worker. Those things don't guarantee that he'll pan out, of course, but it isn't difficult to see why Brown targeted McDaniels.

To be fair, Ibn was most likely offered based on his measurables (height, 40, vertical) and, more importantly, as a product of the staff's multiple connections in NJ. I don't think much can gleaned from his tape given the level of competition. The OP's "wasted" scholarship declaration is ridiculous without knowledge of what the staff has heard about the kid, let alone taking into account their years of experience identifying and coaching high level DB talent.
He has elite measurables, not debateable, but what can be gleaned from his tape is that he’s fully recovered from an injury suffered his junior year. You can also see on his tape that he never gives up on plays and even if the comp isn’t great (I’m not sure personally) you can still see his body movement, anticipation and positioning for cover skills. Now the schools Elizabeth played this year, many are schools that put out P4 talent so I don’t think the comp is horrible.

He was the best player on a fairly bad team (3-8 this year). So you factor in junior year injury (couldn’t camp), senior year on a pretty bad team and that he was a late qualifier, it’s reasonable to think that he could have been overlooked even with elite measurables.

Nothing is a given, but the diamonds in the rough you want to see are kids like this, in the Jay Bromley mold, not JUCO’s in the summer after signing day with no other offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom