DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Well, we didn’t lose Sean Tucker and Mikel Jones to massive factory schools the previous year that had massive deals

So that tells you all you need to know.

However, if you think we have a massive problem, have you donated to 315 or to Fine Mess collective??

Both collectives are actively taking ANY donors they can get, large or small!
We really need a collective just for the revenue teams - hoops and football. There are some people, myself included, that want to see a little more discretion on which sports are targeted.

Well, we didn’t lose Sean Tucker and Mikel Jones to massive factory schools the previous year that had massive deals

So that tells you all you need to know.

However, if you think we have a massive problem, have you donated to 315 or to Fine Mess collective??

Both collectives are actively taking ANY donors they can get, large or small!

That was last year. This year we lost our two best players on D in football and probably our 1b most important player in basketball. I won’t count JG because I think he was leaving regardless of NIL. The gap is widening between the have and have-nots and I believe it’s only going to get worse.

I’ve given the collectives some thought recently and I have decided I won’t be donating. I have supported SU athletics my whole life by attending countless home and away games, ungodly amounts on Dome concession and apparel. In my mind that’s enough. If I’m going to donate money it’s going to be to make a wish, veterans, cancer research or some other charity. Not to a bunch of kids that already had a pretty sweet deal before NIL.

That was last year. This year we lost our two best players on D in football and probably our 1b most important player in basketball. I won’t count JG because I think he was leaving regardless of NIL. The gap is widening between the have and have-nots and I believe it’s only going to get worse.

I’ve given the collectives some thought recently and I have decided I won’t be donating. I have supported SU athletics my whole life by attending countless home and away games, ungodly amounts on Dome concession and apparel. In my mind that’s enough. If I’m going to donate money it’s going to be to make a wish, veterans, cancer research or some other charity. Not to a bunch of kids that already had a pretty sweet deal before NIL.
Understandable. I would just add that they did retain some guys this year as well. The product will be what the collectives produce. Every other P5 fanbase are facing the same choices.

Last edited:

Fair enough, however, I don’t think you can complain about NIL and Syracuse not having enough money to go around…

Way too much hand-wringing going on. SU has plenty of resources to play in this game.

Also, NIL will not be the wild west forever. I fully expect Charlie Baker, the new President of the NCAA, and our former governor much respected by Republicans and Democrats alike for his competence, too reign it in.

Based on his family's situation he opted for the most money. Im sure he was confident he would win the starting position at Ohio State and actually increase his draft status.
Of course that’s what he’s thinking. I’m just saying sometimes these cash grab decisions could sometimes be short sighted.

Exactly. It’s only going down hill. This is just the beginning. It’s only going to get worse.

Good lord. When my wife thinks I’m negative I’m just going to save your last 3-4 posts. A whole bunch of factory schools in FB and BB have lost important players this year b/c of NIL. Does Alabama and Michigan not have enough $ to compete with Kansas, should their fans be scared and depressed?

Good lord. When my wife thinks I’m negative I’m just going to save your last 3-4 posts. A whole bunch of factory schools in FB and BB have lost important players this year b/c of NIL. Does Alabama and Michigan not have enough $ to compete with Kansas, should their fans be scared and depressed?
Ok guy. Keep that head in the sand. We’re rolling in football, basketball and lacrosse. Everything is golden. Stay the course.

Those guys weren’t the two best returning defensive players, in particular Carter

Those guys weren’t the two best returning defensive players, in particular Carter
That is definitely debatable but I’d like to know who you think our top 2 are? Wax and Duce?

Guess you should probably turn in your Syracuse fan card
Here we go. Because I don’t like the direction of the programs and the decisions the admin has made I’m not a fan.

Here we go. Because I don’t like the direction of the programs and the decisions the admin has made I’m not a fan.

No, but it can’t be any fun thinking that everything is terrible

We had a soccer team just win a national championship

The women’s lax team has been ranked #1

Men’s basketball just got a new coach and brought in two stud transfers (they weren’t cheap)

Football just went to a bowl game and while lost Carter and Duce, brought in some really good transfers from Nebraska and Notre Dame with more years left to continue to solidify the defense. We didn’t lose Thompson or Wax

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m the first to be critical of Syracuse

But you complain about the NIL not doing enough, then you say you wouldn’t donate to them to help… okay well if everyone has that attitude it’s going to be really hard to get money.

Then you say we lost all our good players and nothing is going right

It just is overly negative

Does it make you feel good to be that negative? Is it a stress relief?

I mean that’s a weird flex but whatever makes you happy I guess

No, but it can’t be any fun thinking that everything is terrible

We had a soccer team just win a national championship

The women’s lax team has been ranked #1

Men’s basketball just got a new coach and brought in two stud transfers (they weren’t cheap)

Football just went to a bowl game and while lost Carter and Duce, brought in some really good transfers from Nebraska and Notre Dame with more years left to continue to solidify the defense. We didn’t lose Thompson or Wax

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m the first to be critical of Syracuse

But you complain about the NIL not doing enough, then you say you wouldn’t donate to them to help… okay well if everyone has that attitude it’s going to be really hard to get money.

Then you say we lost all our good players and nothing is going right

It just is overly negative

Does it make you feel good to be that negative? Is it a stress relief?

I mean that’s a weird flex but whatever makes you happy I guess

It’s not just overly negative but it lacks all the context you mentioned. It’s looking at everything in vacuum.

Ok guy. Keep that head in the sand. We’re rolling in football, basketball and lacrosse. Everything is golden. Stay the course.

Head in the sand….. I feel like there’s a “kettle” joke in there somewhere but just can’t pinpoint it……

Way too much hand-wringing going on. SU has plenty of resources to play in this game.

Also, NIL will not be the wild west forever. I fully expect Charlie Baker, the new President of the NCAA, and our former governor much respected by Republicans and Democrats alike for his competence, too reign it in.
Baker got hired to lobby Congress on behalf of the NCAA. They know they can't put toothpaste back in the tube, and so they're going to try to get Congress to do it for them.

Baker got hired to lobby Congress on behalf of the NCAA. They know they can't put toothpaste back in the tube, and so they're going to try to get Congress to do it for them.
Yep and they are fooling themselves, Congress won’t save them. Players will end up with a union to represent them and collectively bargain some kind of guard rails

%

wax, Thompson , Caleb to start. I’d put Clark and Barron ahead of Carter at Safety.
Here are some objective measures that can be used to measure the contributions of different football players.

I like Duce and Ja'Had. Both good players. But they were not anywhere near as impactful as many others on the field last season. Heck, Garrett Williams made more plays in 6 and a half games than Duce did playing 12.

Looked to me as though Duce was hurt again most of last season and was not able to run well. He got picked on a lot. 1 pass breakup for a whole season is...not great. His run support was still good but he got beat too often.

Ja'Had has never put up the numbers you would like from a safety, and I think struggled learning his responsibilities but to his credit, I think he was finally getting things together the second half of the season.

Syracuse Defensive Statistics 2022​

Individual Defensive Statistics
#PLAYERGPSOLOASSTTOTTFL-YDSSACKS-YDSINTBUQBHFRFFKICKSAF
2Wax, Marlowe13533891.010.5-484.5-310272210
3Jones, Mikel11414384.07.0-404.0-270051100
23Barron, Justin13402565.05.0-131.0-70121000
5Clark, Alijah12312455.02.5-30-00200000
45Darton, Kevon13282654.04.0-120-00030000
20Johnson, Isaiah13361753.00-00-01100000
93Okechukwu, Caleb13272148.010.0-467.0-401050200
15McDonald, Derek9222143.02.0-101.0-61230100
0Chestnut, Duce12271340.01.5-20-01100000
12Sparrow, Anwar11251540.05.5-181.5-90211200
14Simmons Jr., Jason12221638.01.5-30-01710000
1Carter, Ja'Had12201636.00.5-10-03301000
8Williams, Garrett7251136.01.5-41.0-2230

Here are some objective measures that can be used to measure the contributions of different football players.

I like Duce and Ja'Had. Both good players. But they were not anywhere near as impactful as many others on the field last season. Heck, Garrett Williams made more plays in 6 and a half games than Duce did playing 12.

Looked to me as though Duce was hurt again most of last season and was not able to run well. He got picked on a lot. 1 pass breakup for a whole season is...not great. His run support was still good but he got beat too often.

Ja'Had has never put up the numbers you would like from a safety, and I think struggled learning his responsibilities but to his credit, I think he was finally getting things together the second half of the season.

Syracuse Defensive Statistics 2022​

Individual Defensive Statistics
#PLAYERGPSOLOASSTTOTTFL-YDSSACKS-YDSINTBUQBHFRFFKICKSAF
2Wax, Marlowe13533891.010.5-484.5-310272210
3Jones, Mikel11414384.07.0-404.0-270051100
23Barron, Justin13402565.05.0-131.0-70121000
5Clark, Alijah12312455.02.5-30-00200000
45Darton, Kevon13282654.04.0-120-00030000
20Johnson, Isaiah13361753.00-00-01100000
93Okechukwu, Caleb13272148.010.0-467.0-401050200
15McDonald, Derek9222143.02.0-101.0-61230100
0Chestnut, Duce12271340.01.5-20-01100000