Class of 2024 - DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24)

Hope he does, but skeptical that at an event with that prestige a player would pick Syracuse.
All the other players will be going to places like Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State. Southern Califonia, Clemson.
This is a new world….

and that’s precisely why we should be excited to have him do so. Change the perception of the program little by little

Hope he does, but skeptical that at an event with that prestige a player would pick Syracuse.
All the other players will be going to places like Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State. Southern Califonia, Clemson.
I think that would be the biggest shocker and potentially the biggest story. Choosing Syracuse over perennial powerhouse would stir up so much more buzz than him selecting Bama.

Hopefully he is after as much buzz as possible. Max buzz like me after a couple Bartles and Jaymes.

Barnes will be a trailblazer for us Bob. Syracuse will be a hat more frequently on the tables moving forward.

Reading all these commits or possible commits...
comedy central blake henderson GIF by Workaholics

After getting McCord we’re still a laughing stock to people who only follow their school and the top 5 school. Still getting clowned all over social media. Perception wise, when guys like Barnes picks Cuse’s hat over those of Georgia, Bama, etc, and Diggs picks us over Bama it will start to change our perception and will attract more and more kids from other places in the country.

After getting McCord we’re still a laughing stock to people who only follow their school and the top 5 school. Still getting clowned all over social media. Perception wise, when guys like Barnes picks Cuse’s hat over those of Georgia, Bama, etc, and Diggs picks us over Bama it will start to change our perception and will attract more and more kids from other places in the country.
That’s not going to change just because a few recruits pick us in a regime change. We need to win on the field to convince people things have changed

That’s not going to change just because a few recruits pick us in a regime change. We need to win on the field to convince people things have changed
That’s true but the first step to winning on the field is having the jimmy’s and the joe’s and not the diamonds in the rough. If they can coach half as well as they can recruit then i have confidence we will be just fine. More importantly we will look more like the upper echelon of the conference and better than the bottom where we have been.

Barnes will be a trailblazer for us Bob. Syracuse will be a hat more frequently on the tables moving forward.
I agree, but when you spend the week practicing with all these other players, will their influence change his mind.

That’s true but the first step to winning on the field is having the jimmy’s and the joe’s and not the diamonds in the rough. If they can coach half as well as they can recruit then i have confidence we will be just fine. More importantly we will look more like the upper echelon of the conference and better than the bottom where we have been.
Oh don’t get me wrong, the first step to real change is to increase the talent level in the program. as a coach, I can say that no matter how good you are, the kids on the field have to be talented for your program to show out. But once you have talent, you have to put it in position to be successful.

brown seems pretty likely to lock in on step one, get the Jimmie’s and joes. In a few months we will see just how good he is at step two, creating winning game plans to start working on step two.

I’m not sure really how hard Georgia and Ole Miss are currently on him so that’s partly why we’ve gained a lot of steam here. Ofcourse he was close with Fran from being recruited at Georgia but I think he was one of the B listers which was a perfect opportunity for Fran to jump on him when he got our job. Georgia has been losing a couple db’s to the portal so that could come into play here if they want to push hard but hopefully Fran staying true to him is our advantage. Ole Miss seems all in on transfer portal pounding so that helps us here too.

I agree, but when you spend the week practicing with all these other players, will their influence change his mind.
Yeah I hear ya Bob and the exciting part of this will be fighting off the competition and winning the battle. Sure others will be in his ear but the way I view it is Barnes will be in their ears. "Join me at Cuse and be part of putting Cuse back on the map with kick ass coaches, newer facilities, etc.. HCFB, Elijah and Nick are the best young guns out there. You know you want to...come on and join me on a visit". That's all it takes Bob...just a bit of confidence my man!

I think that would be the biggest shocker and potentially the biggest story. Choosing Syracuse over perennial powerhouse would stir up so much more buzz than him selecting Bama.

Hopefully he is after as much buzz as possible. Max buzz like me after a couple Bartles and Jaymes.

Wiltfong updated SU to 75% and GA @ 25% for Barnes last night in his crystal ball projection...

barnes.png

Most teams are laughing stocks to guys like that. They’re called a holes for a reason.

Last edited:

If you go to r/cfp, we aren't getting clowned. Lot of respect for what we're doing, our coaching staff, etc.

Don't look at Twitter for anything.

We're good.

Cuse has a solid brand. Heck, look at where our gear used to show up in pop culture.

That’s not Wiltfong doing that. There’s an old prediction from November for Georgia. There’s 3 predictions for Cuse (including Wiltfong) and 1 for Georgia (from a VT insider).

Yes - confidence is high.