Class of 2024 - DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24)

Really good player. Still hope he is not expected to come in and start. We need solid transfers here. The step up from high school even at the higher levels to ACC football is huge. I see a lot of people saying we will be fine if we land Barnes. I am not so sure he will be physically ready. Certainly an all ACC caliber player once he gains experience and strength.

Really good player. Still hope he is not expected to come in and start. We need solid transfers here. The step up from high school even at the higher levels to ACC football is huge. I see a lot of people saying we will be fine if we land Barnes. I am not so sure he will be physically ready. Certainly an all ACC caliber player once he gains experience and strength.
That ship might have sailed (Harris, Chappel).

That ship might have sailed (Harris, Chappel).
As of right now it is looking that way. I am far less concerned with DBs than Oline though. Fran knows what he has, and I expect after the Spring he would target more portals if he thinks we are lacking.

Freshman corners can come in an make an impact.

Of course they can, relying on it as a recipe for success though is not ideal.

The same can be said about relying on portal kids who are sitting on some else’s bench to.

I don’t think we’re relying on Barnes to come in and start though. Bellamy 7, DeLaine 2 and Deuce 24 starts between them. Barnes will up the competition in the room.

The same can be said about relying on portal kids who are sitting on some else’s bench to.

I don’t think we’re relying on Barnes to come in and start though. Bellamy 7, DeLaine 2 and Deuce 24 starts between them. Barnes will up the competition in the room.
That's a big reason why I had my fingers crossed for both Barnes AND Harris.

Oh well.

Not disagreeing, but portal kids have a year or more practicing and lifting at a P5 level. They are used to high end college football physicality. Not saying Barnes will not be an instant stud, just saying that it is more likely he has the normal ebb and flow of a freshman.

“Barnes appears to be leaning towards Ole Miss or Syracuse heading into his decision. The Rebels weren't able to secure an official visit from Barnes but it might not matter because his relationship with new Syracuse head coach Fran Brown is so strong. The Orange have been picking up big time commitments from the high school ranks and from the transfer portal ever since Brown was named Syracuse's new head coach and Barnes could be the next one.”

Can everyone PLEASE remember that the transfer portal has just hit its first cycle.

There will be a second swell of players in the portal during the second open period (April 16-30).

I have no doubt we will find some traction with some who do not like their status on the depth chart after spring ball.

Can everyone PLEASE remember that the transfer portal has just hit its first cycle.

There will be a second swell of players in the portal during the second open period (April 16-30).

I have no doubt we will find some traction with some who do not like their status on the depth chart after spring ball.
True. But if we can get players that can enroll sooner and play their spring ball in Syracuse that is certainly a better option. They will get a better handle on the new Syracuse system and playbook as well as get better settled in on campus. If we are wanting players to compete for a starting roll this year, spring ball at SU makes it that much more likely.

I think it is very important for Fran to hit it big this cycle which I feel he has done. As he mentioned he needs to change the culture of the program both on the field and off. It is important that some of these veteran portal players get to school quickly and set the tone for the new era of Syracuse football especially in the weight room.

True. But if we can get players that can enroll sooner and play their spring ball in Syracuse that is certainly a better option. They will get a better handle on the new Syracuse system and playbook as well as get better settled in on campus. If we are wanting players to compete for a starting roll this year, spring ball at SU makes it that much more likely.
I don't disagree. But there are still going to be opportunities to upgrade the roster past this period. With good players, I might add.

I think it is very important for Fran to hit it big this cycle which I feel he has done. As he mentioned he needs to change the culture of the program both on the field and off. It is important that some of these veteran portal players get to school quickly and set the tone for the new era of Syracuse football especially in the weight room.
I get it. But that doesn't mean we will be done adding players who will help in the fall.