Class of 2021 - DE Hayden Nelson (WI) Decommitted (12/15/20) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Hayden Nelson (WI) Decommitted (12/15/20)

I wonder if Hayden just lost his spot. I’m counting 4 DE commits for UCLA now. Recruiting is a business, I honestly hope it works out for him.

Personally, if it came to it, I’d welcome him back with open arms. IMO, people get too caught up in this “giving your word” BS. I’m all for it in other aspects of life, especially as you get further into adulthood, but these kids are making one of their most important life decisions & must weigh all options, no matter how late in the game they come. They’re just trying to find the best situation for themselves & aren’t intentionally trying to disappoint or hurt any school’s efforts.

Again, nobody ever questions the integrity or “word” of the recruits we flip near or on signing day. I personally don’t fully consider any recruit a part of the program until they arrive on campus. Until then, may they make the best decision they deem fit.

Last edited:
It’s a nice note. But doing it the day before NLI signing day is not the best way to handle it.
Considering when coaches do that to players they might not even communicate it to the players, they just don't answer calls or texts, I can be alright with the player making a tough life decision at 17 or 18 with some grace an acceptable outcome. Recruiting can be ugly for all parties.

Considering when coaches do that to players they might not even communicate it to the players, they just don't answer calls or texts, I can be alright with the player making a tough life decision at 17 or 18 with some grace an acceptable outcome. Recruiting can be ugly for all parties.
Okay, except is that what happened here? Did the coaches cut him loose at the 23rd hour? Or did the player bail? I can only judge based on the way it is reported. I have no reason to believe the coaches dismissed this kid. So I’m critical of a kid who made a commitment and backed out at the last minute. If he does it in September, no problem.

Okay, except is that what happened here? Did the coaches cut him loose at the 23rd hour? Or did the player bail? I can only judge based on the way it is reported. I have no reason to believe the coaches dismissed this kid. So I’m critical of a kid who made a commitment and backed out at the last minute. If he does it in September, no problem.
I think he's making the point players do 10x worse and don't blink an eye.. if this is what's best for him at 18 so be it I wish him the best

Even if UCLA reneged on him he had offers from Iowa St and Indiana, not sure if they're still options but those are pretty solid backup options

Even if UCLA reneged on him he had offers from Iowa St and Indiana, not sure if they're still options but those are pretty solid backup options
Yep. Hopefully, one of them works out.

Best of luck to him.

I think he's making the point players do 10x worse and don't blink an eye.. if this is what's best for him at 18 so be it I wish him the best
I think he was saying COACHES do worse. Except THESE coaches did not, as far as I know, so I am choosing to be critical of the player. I’m okay if we disagree on this.

There is always the possibility that he made the decision and let the coaches know, but only made it public today. Probably be hard to keep it a secret these days, but who knows?

Last edited:
I think he was saying COACHES do worse. Except THESE coaches did not, as far as I know, so I am choosing to be critical of the player. I’m okay if we disagree on this.
Certainly no evidence SU coaches did anything wrong, personally I think the industry as a whole is dirty and won't blame kids for putting themselves first as coaches will almost always put themselves first. Not that SU coaches did anything but in this in business recruits gotta priortize themselves

I’ll make sure to post it when it’s complete.
Jack, I can't wait. This was a kid that I really wanted. And on Saturday he posted about how he was looking forward to signing. UCLA, I get it, But now that looks out for him. I would not be upset in the least if we got him back.

Jack, I can't wait. This was a kid that I really wanted. And on Saturday he posted about how he was looking forward to signing. UCLA, I get it, But now that looks out for him. I would not be upset in the least if we got him back.

i’ll make sure to cover this exactly. It’s an interesting situation, one that is unfortunate for Syracuse, but I can never fault a kid for following his heart.

So UCLA wanted the Michigan-commit kid more, but he wouldn't flip, so they tried to turn Nelson? And then just as Nelson flips, the Michigan kid also flips and UCLA had to tell Nelson "Uh, so we have a little egg on our face now, but 'no thanks' anymore. Sorry about messing up your life, kid."?

So UCLA wanted the Michigan-commit kid more, but he wouldn't flip, so they tried to turn Nelson? And then just as Nelson flips, the Michigan kid also flips and UCLA had to tell Nelson "Uh, so we have a little egg on our face now, but 'no thanks' anymore. Sorry about messing up your life, kid."?
No and no.

If so, it stands to reason that he would have contacted our staff, and you can infer what they told him. Pure hypothetical, no idea what actually happened.

He committed to UCLA but as a preferred walk-on.