Class of 2019 - DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Dwyer HS is the alma mater of, among others, Julian Whigham and Cam Jonas. Let's hope he keeps his word better than Malik Brown, another Dwyer HS kid. Brown switched to Tennessee late. He ended up at Bowling Green...

Given what we'll lose on the D-Line these next two seasons, it is important to load up. This kid needs to add size, but he's got a ton of athleticism.

Always good to see us add pass rush.

I'm guessing that this is the template we'll often follow for many of our DLine recruits -- get athletes, then "grow" them into their positions at either DT [example--Rondi] or DE [example -- Morton]. Guys like this will take 2-3 years to be ready, but with a redshirt and quality depth ahead of them, that also ensures that these guys won't be rushed onto the field to fill out the two-deep until they're ready to physically compete as third-year sophomores.
Key there is REDSHIRTING

Rush DE. Has a skinny frame but plays bigger than he looks. He has two years to add 35-50 pounds. I like his athleticism and motor. On paper, this looks like a MAC level class. It is what it is until we win. Dino is securing spots now so he's not scrambling in December.

Rush DE. Has a skinny frame but plays bigger than he looks. He has two years to add 35-50 pounds. I like his athleticism and motor. On paper, this looks like a MAC level class. It is what it is until we win. Dino is securing spots now so he's not scrambling in December.

Could not agree more. I trust Dino but we need wins!!

Could see him maybe playing OLB. Will wait for staff confirmation here though.

I do like Dwyer HS

Could see him maybe playing OLB. Will wait for staff confirmation here though.

I do like Dwyer HS
Yeah I have to see him playing in space. His film shows him with his hand in the dirt.

Dear Ishmael,

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682--steven-spielberg-movies-original-memes.jpg

Gonna have to have some diamonds in the dust in this class, and I'm sure we will ...but how many?

#11 in Palm Beach ain't nothing to sniff at though. We always excell with Florida kids

Yeah I have to see him playing in space. His film shows him with his hand in the dirt.

it does but it also shows him running around a lot, chasing QBs etc. He's long and lean for sure though. He's a clay guy. Did make 1st team All-District and All Conference. Will be watching him intently this year.

He was a camp offer, right?

I feel like every year we recruit a kid with the last name Goulbourne. Nice to finally land one. He's about the size Donnie Simmons was when he committed. Donnie i think ultimately contributed at about 240-250 lbs. Nice to keep the connection with Dwyer going.

Could be he thinks depth is enough that we can take guys who need 1-2 years of development before contributing. Maybe choosing to fight battles where he thinks we need help sooner. Or go juco there.

Just watched his tape. I'm gonna keep my own eval to myself, but I will say this ...I think Cuse got a good one here. Lots of things to like in his highlights

Going out on a limb (I know) and saying Chandler Jones 2. That's how much I think about this kid already

Lack of height sure held back Dwight Freeney. :cool:
We can't always live in the past. The game has changed so much since then. He was a first rounder but rarely do you see his size at DE anymore.

We can't always live in the past. The game has changed so much since then. He was a first rounder but rarely do you see his size at DE anymore.

It isn't living in the past - it is recognizing that effective players don't just fit one archetype. This might come as a newsflash, but we are probably never going to be an NFL factory. We aren't going to get 6-5 240 pound defensive ends coming out of HS -- because those guys go to places like Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Alabama.

So, what we can do is identify quality athletes who lack a measureable, and then "grow" them into guys who can compete at a high level. This guy -- like Morton two years ago -- has the frame but not the weight. If he had the weight, he'd be a target of one of the aforementioned schools instead. But he doesn't, so he isn't.

However, that doesn't change the fact that he was a productive player at a power program in Florida. If the coaches like the athleticism and think that he has the frame to add good weight, then he's a prospect worth bringing in. If not, then we wouldn't have offered.

And since when is 6-3 or 6-4 too small for DE at the collegiate level? This isn't the NFL combine -- if this guy ends up being a a quality college player, but not an NFL prospect because he's a hair short -- so what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom