Class of 2019 - DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Oh yes, and DWs come along all the time;)

Clearly not. But it is a good thing the coaching staff that recruited him didn't just dismiss him out of hand because he was short.

This kid's game feel demonstrates that he's fast and has terrific lateral mobility. That's a good starting point for an edge rusher. Clearly he needs to add strength / weight. But at 6-4 without having entered his senior year of HS as of today, who's to say he's done growing?

Given what we'll lose on the D-Line these next two seasons, it is important to load up. This kid needs to add size, but he's got a ton of athleticism.

Always good to see us add pass rush.

I'm guessing that this is the template we'll often follow for many of our DLine recruits -- get athletes, then "grow" them into their positions at either DT [example--Rondi] or DE [example -- Morton]. Guys like this will take 2-3 years to be ready, but with a redshirt and quality depth ahead of them, that also ensures that these guys won't be rushed onto the field to fill out the two-deep until they're ready to physically compete as third-year sophomores.

It isn't easy adding 40-50# to a 6'3" frame. Not sure this kid ever plays DE. Maybe the staff like him as a backer where 20# would be the goal. This is a small 2* DE that comes outta nowhere with no p5 offers. I know, i know...if the staff likes him...

It isn't easy adding 40-50# to a 6'3" frame. Not sure this kid ever plays DE. Maybe the staff like him as a backer where 20# would be the goal. This is a small 2* DE that comes outta nowhere with no p5 offers. I know, i know...if the staff likes him...

You're right -- time will tell. Maybe he ends up as an edge OLB instead of a DE, or some kind of hybrid.

But he doesn't have to end up at 250 to play DE. And he doesn't have to add all that weight in one year, or even two.

Id like to see him come in at 208-215, red shirt and beef to 235-240.

A bit undersized but this kid plays big.
That's exactly right. He needs to put on some good weight between now and when he shows up to Camp, red shirt and use that year to immerse himself in the collegiate s & c program, and then we'll see where he is. My guess is that when this guy is a third-year sophomore after a red shirt, he'll be closer to that 235 to 240 range, which should be adequate with three years of eligibility left to get bulkier.

Does anyone know when this kid started playing football? He has size and athleticism that could put him in multiple positions by the time he gets to su

This kid looks like a 3-4 DE/OLB prospect.
Height means nothing in college ball.
Just need speed. Our defense needs as much speed as it can get.
Hope he develops in S&C.
In Dino I trust welcome aboard.
Thats what I’m thinking, rewatching his highlights. He’s great reacting to plays and finding the ball. His length and speed yells edge rusher, but his play shows a run stuffing ballhawk

I do not mean run stuff like a huge brickhouse tackle. For him, I mean don’t run it his way on the outside because hes getting an arm on you

This kid looks like a 3-4 DE/OLB prospect.
Height means nothing in college ball.
Just need speed. Our defense needs as much speed as it can get.
Hope he develops in S&C.
In Dino I trust welcome aboard.

Well, it's not TOTALLY irrelevant. But we're not talking about a 6-0 guy, we're talking about a guy listed between 6-3 and 6-5. Even if he's on the low end, it isn't a significant impediment.

He's got wheels, is strong in pursuit from sideline-to-sideline, and shows above average athleticism. That's more important than him being 6-4 but slow / non-quick twitch.

Rush DE. Has a skinny frame but plays bigger than he looks. He has two years to add 35-50 pounds. I like his athleticism and motor. On paper, this looks like a MAC level class. It is what it is until we win. Dino is securing spots now so he's not scrambling in December.
3 years if he redshirts. Which he will most likely.

Kinda reminds me of Brian burns at FSU. He came in as a freshman at about 210 and was a freshman AA. Not saying this is gonna be the case with gouldbourne, but after a year of S&C, hopefully he gains some needed weight without losing his athleticism. Burns shows you that you don’t necessarily have to be 250 to be successful.

Well, it's not TOTALLY irrelevant. But we're not talking about a 6-0 guy, we're talking about a guy listed between 6-3 and 6-5. Even if he's on the low end, it isn't a significant impediment.

He's got wheels, is strong in pursuit from sideline-to-sideline, and shows above average athleticism. That's more important than him being 6-4 but slow / non-quick twitch.

Yup, on D esp, height is a difference maker unless you are 6'0", 300# playing both A gaps. DEs need to deflect balls when not getting to the qb, backers need ht in coverage, and our safeties need ht, we are trending there! Saw too many plays the last few years with our 5'11, 6'0" lbs giving up completions over their shoulder.

Give me an athletic 6'3 to 5 guy and there are a lot of nice options for the creative coach to use and mold. Welcome to the Hill Ishmael!

I love this kids tape and always like converted basketball players who bring that quickness to the gridiron.

If he's only been playing 1 year his potential is off the charts. Reminds me of Adisa Isaac with 2 years less experience playing football. I bet Ishmael's stars and offers spike during the season.

Look this kid has great ball skills. Super quick at the snap doesn’t quit stay low enough but has great speed. Needs to use hands better but they will teach that here. Kid should be 215 by time he gets here. Love this pickup. Nice athlete. We need these guys to chase people down. Once he gets his dip and rip down he could be a nightmare for big tackles to block

Cornell Brown VA Tech circa 1995 6-0 220 defensive end All American. Best college rush end in the country. Speed kills!

And VA Tech had a guy that made life hard for McNabb. He was only 5-11 and 220 lbs Corey Moore at DE. We countered with 2 DEs under 6-2 Pettyjohn and Freeney, both umder 240lbs making life tough for Vick.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom