Class of 2015 - DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook

My thoughts are SUfNC...if a coach isn't trying to get better players than he currently has, he soon becomes an ex coach.

Seems like a weird choice?
Evidently can play immediately without sitting out a year. Or was he a graduate transfer and could do that wherever he went?

Football is relentlessly demanding. It doesn't matter if you have the name, the pedigree or the raw tools; you've got to be in shape and display that talent. Otherwise next man up.
Just hope the young man realizes life is more than football, which is a true statement for everyone except for us maniacs on this board.

My thoughts are SUfNC...if a coach isn't trying to get better players than he currently has, he soon becomes an ex coach.

Totally agree. My point is at a school like UM that is easier to do than SU. So for a school like us we have a little more invested I feel. We swing and miss it is a bigger deal than UM

Somewhat of a question or maybe more of a thought but I feel like the reality of going to a big name school is always be ready for that school recruit over you (which I know happens at all schools) but it's easier for a UM to get that talent. If you were to go to a let's say Syracuse or program in P5 not a blue chip you are less likely to be recruited over and thus the staff may keep you more accountable to some degree. I know it's always the next man up but the aren't the coaches more invested to some extent because they can't afford to let talent get wasted unless the kid just is not buying in.

Thoughts?

Think he went to stonybrook for 1 single reason. Not sitting this year. Thats the ONLY explanation. Also, these kids know they can get drafted from anywhere and that, in the end, if you are a player, competition doesn't matter.

I mean, it's a 6'6, 300+ lb. TE looking for a home the week Fall camp opens. Ty Wheatley Jr. or not, he wouldn't consider a position switch and is presumed to be significantly out of shape. I really wouldn't expect him to have a ton of options.

That being said, he can do well at SB if he jumps into it, and I hope he does. Best of luck TJ.

Gotta believe he went to SB to play immediately (FCS). If he went FBS, he'd have to sit out this year and only have 1 year left. Going to FCS, he can play 2 years. Not a hard decision.

I mean, it's a 6'6, 300+ lb. TE looking for a home the week Fall camp opens. Ty Wheatley Jr. or not, he wouldn't consider a position switch and is presumed to be significantly out of shape. I really wouldn't expect him to have a ton of options.

That being said, he can do well at SB if he jumps into it, and I hope he does. Best of luck TJ.

Stony Brook has a decent team but man it's still a weird choice. Isn't his family in Florida? (i have zero knowledge of the situation but if I'm going 1AA I can think of a lot of other places. Like James Madison.)

Stony Brook has a decent team but man it's still a weird choice. Isn't his family in Florida? (i have zero knowledge of the situation but if I'm going 1AA I can think of a lot of other places. Like James Madison.)
We can't make the assumption he has those options though, ya know. Maybe he does, I don't know.

Insert Dolly Madison joke here.

We can't make the assumption he has those options though, ya know. Maybe he does, I don't know.

Like I said I have zero knowledge but Stony Brook out on the Island still seems a weird choice to me.

No reason to think they would succeed at Syracuse when they didn't elsewhere.

This.

The "he'll get recruited over at Duke come to Syracuse posts" drive me insane. If a kid can't succeed at Duke then I don't want him at Syracuse either. But that's me.

This.

The "he'll get recruited over at Duke come to Syracuse posts" drive me insane. If a kid can't succeed at Duke then I don't want him at Syracuse either. But that's me.
Sorry but this is a false dichotomy. The fact that JG3 would get recruited over instantly at Duh-k doesn't mean we don't want him or that he can't help us. Duh-k's stockpiling 5-stars at every spot these days. We still recruit program kids who have potential but aren't necessarily immediately ready to light up the ACC. So he may not be capable of getting minutes at Duh-k but after a couple years at SU could be a really nice complimentary player for us.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is a false dichotomy. The fact that JG3 will get recruited over instantly at Duh-k doesn't mean we don't want him or that he can't help us. Duh-k's caravaning 5-stars at every spot these days. We still recruit program kids who have potential but aren't necessarily immediately ready to light up the ACC. So he may not be capable of getting minutes at Duh-k but after a couple years at SU could be a really nice complimentary player for us.
That’s my thought process.