Class of 2015 - DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook

docsu said:
Ahhhh...the recruiting double standard. Good thing Diagne couldn't see past the glitz amirite

I've never posted anything like this on the Basketball side. I'd also bet that they still commit based largely on the relationships they develop with their recruiter, rather than the name on their jersey. Most of the basketball recruits can pick from a group of name schools, amirite?

"Everyone loves coach Hop"

"Acosta keeps it real. He's like a father figure."

I've never posted anything like this on the Basketball side. I'd also bet that they still commit based largely on the relationships they develop with their recruiter, rather than the name on their jersey. Most of the basketball recruits can pick from a group of name schools, amirite?

"Everyone loves coach Hop"

"Acosta keeps it real. He's like a father figure."

So when a football recruit commits to a "factory" is it all because of the glitz? Do relationships only develop at smaller schools?

I don't know these kids and I don't pretend to know their motives, but it's weird when posters rip a basketball recruit for not wanting to play in front of 30k, on national tv, for a national contender, and then turn around and expect a four star football recruit to come here and forgo the exact same thing on the football side. And I'm not saying you said anything like this, I'm just speaking in general. I want to get top recruits in football like everyone else, but we absolutely face an uphill battle.

And I disagree with the idea that a P5 school is the same as any other. If anything, the gap between the haves and have nots is bigger in football, even within the five conferences.

docsu said:
So when a football recruit commits to a "factory" is it all because of the glitz? Do relationships only develop at smaller schools? I don't know these kids and I don't pretend to know their motives, but it's weird when posters rip a basketball recruit for not wanting to play in front of 30k, on national tv, for a national contender, and then turn around and expect a four star football recruit to come here and forgo the exact same thing on the football side. And I'm not saying you said anything like this, I'm just speaking in general. I want to get top recruits in football like everyone else, but we absolutely face an uphill battle. And I disagree with the idea that a P5 school is the same as any other. If anything, the gap between the haves and have nots is bigger in football, even within the five conferences.

I hear you. My original point was that I know at 17 I'd be enticed by what the name schools provide and that I'd hope that there would be wise people around me to sort it out.

There is a difference between p5 schools - but when it comes to the NFL and getting drafted, I'm not sure it means that much. You're playing roughly the same level of opponent and NFL scouts are good at their jobs.

I hear you. My original point was that I know at 17 I'd be enticed by what the name schools provide and that I'd hope that there would be wise people around me to sort it out.

There is a difference between p5 schools - but when it comes to the NFL and getting drafted, I'm not sure it means that much. You're playing roughly the same level of opponent and NFL scouts are good at their jobs.
you speak as if going to a "name school" is some kind of moral failure, where you'd hope some wise people around you would correct. I mean, is it all that bad to want to go to a place where there is a passionate fan base that loves football? To play in front of 100k fans in a place where people live and breathe football? I love Syracuse and always will, but we struggle to get 30k in the Dome most weeks and there is no broad community support for football like at other schools.

Now being in that environment isn't for everyone, and to each kid their own. But to deride kids who are attracted to the high intensity football cultures of the factories is just myopic and looking through extreme orange colored glasses. The fact that Syracuse recruits at an elite level in basketball and an average, at best, level in football only serves to bring the orange colored glasses into sharper vision, as docsu is trying to point out.

leftytg said:
you speak as if going to a "name school" is some kind of moral failure, where you'd hope some wise people around you would correct. I mean, is it all that bad to want to go to a place where there is a passionate fan base that loves football? To play in front of 100k fans in a place where people live and breathe football? I love Syracuse and always will, but we struggle to get 30k in the Dome most weeks and there is no broad community support for football like at other schools. Now being in that environment isn't for everyone, and to each kid their own. But to deride kids who are attracted to the high intensity football cultures of the factories is just myopic and looking through extreme orange colored glasses. The fact that Syracuse recruits at an elite level in basketball and an average, at best, level in football only serves to bring the orange colored glasses into sharper vision, as docsu is trying to point out.

You should have read what I actually wrote. I said "help me sort it out" - ie. weigh the pros and cons without going just for a name or glitz.

If I was a basketball player I'd want someone to be straight with me if Syracuse was just a big name, while a better opportunity was somewhere else (maybe I'm a second option or a they don't have my major or I have a better relationship with a great coach at a different school?)...

You guys are imagining some great hypocrisy. I've actually been pretty consistent.

You should have read what I actually wrote. I said "help me sort it out" - ie. weigh the pros and cons without going just for a name or glitz.

If I was a basketball player I'd want someone to be straight with me if Syracuse was just a big name, while a better opportunity was somewhere else (maybe I'm a second option or a they don't have my major or I have a better relationship with a great coach at a different school?)...

You guys are imagining some great hypocrisy. I've actually been pretty consistent.

That's ridiculous. There is no better opportunity.

Bottom line, we turned down a committ because we told him he was too late and that position was filled with another committ. It was well documented, by multiple news stories, and by the HS coach as well as the player. Then we have a mystery committ at the same time. Either this mystery committ doesn't exist and we said it to back out of an offer to a kid, or we actually have a committ for the position. I for one do not think we would make something up, not this staff. I think they have an actual committ at this position. Only time will tell, and if we don't, that is not the way to make friends out there in the recruiting community.

Michigan: better school, better football, better tradition

Michigan: Buffalo Bills running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley will interview at Michigan on Tuesday, according to Scowt Wheatley is a former U-M running back.

Michigan: Buffalo Bills running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley will interview at Michigan on Tuesday, according to Scowt Wheatley is a former U-M running back.

very not shocking news.

His son doesn't even have Michigan in his final four. It sounds like USC or UCLA. I wonder if that changes when dad gets the job at Michigan?

His son doesn't even have Michigan in his final four. It sounds like USC or UCLA. I wonder if that changes when dad gets the job at Michigan?
MGOBLOG has a quote from Tyrone where he says he has never talked to Harbaugh and they haven't reached out to him.

@dennisfithian: Tyrone Wheatley signs on tonight and will be Michigan's running backs coach. #Michigan

Happy for him and his proud dad. All the best.
Yes, both are good people. It is great he will be able to share the college experience with his son at his alma mater. Hope they both do great there.

HELLO SYRACUSE?!!
Western Michigan, Middle Tennessee State and Syracuse would all seem to be logical choices.

Florida and Florida State were finalists the first time around and would be close to Dad, who is back with HCDM at Jacksonville.

Gotta be the ‘cuse.
Then again, he really doesn’t have any connection here except for the brief period of time he lived here. All the coaches are gone.