Class of 2015 - DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook

Gotta be the ‘cuse.
Then again, he really doesn’t have any connection here except for the brief period of time he lived here. All the coaches are gone.
Yeah, not seeing it. Pitt maybe?

Exit Tyrone Wheatley Jr. | mgoblog

We got an insider report a few days ago that this was likely because Wheatley arrived at fall camp OT-sized and didn't want to move to a spot—OL or DT—where a 300-pound person generally goes on the football field. When Wheatley was around the right weight he looked like a potential star, but maintaining was never in the cards for whatever reason.

I went to high school with TJ at FM for a short period of time. Great kid, always worked with and coached his little brothers Terius and Ty especially in pop warner I remember. Not sure if I still have his number but maybe I can persuade him to come back to his old stomping grounds

Exit Tyrone Wheatley Jr. | mgoblog

We got an insider report a few days ago that this was likely because Wheatley arrived at fall camp OT-sized and didn't want to move to a spot—OL or DT—where a 300-pound person generally goes on the football field. When Wheatley was around the right weight he looked like a potential star, but maintaining was never in the cards for whatever reason.

He missed all of Spring Ball with a broken foot.

I went to high school with TJ at FM for a short period of time. Great kid, always worked with and coached his little brothers Terius and Ty especially in pop warner I remember. Not sure if I still have his number but maybe I can persuade him to come back to his old stomping grounds
He played under Rhodes, not Muench, right?

I dont think SU will be where he lands

One of the things i like about this staff and it's recruiting tactics and putting their money where their mouth is (hello, Cordy!) is their willingness to let the kid decide where he wants to play. And if and when the coaches AND player decide a position change is in order, the final decision is seemingly (perception is reality) made by the player. ie; Ken Ruff and Allen Stritzinger. And so if other schools are telling TJ that he can't play where he wants, we may have a shot. That, and if he's injured, a transfer year requires sitting out anyway so I'm guessing he's still looking at FBS-level and (i'm assuming) will be blocked from the rest of the Big 10 and Michigan future opponents.

One of the things i like about this staff and it's recruiting tactics and putting their money where their mouth is (hello, Cordy!) is their willingness to let the kid decide where he wants to play. And if and when the coaches AND player decide a position change is in order, the final decision is seemingly (perception is reality) made by the player. ie; Ken Ruff and Allen Stritzinger. And so if other schools are telling TJ that he can't play where he wants, we may have a shot. That, and if he's injured, a transfer year requires sitting out anyway so I'm guessing he's still looking at FBS-level and (i'm assuming) will be blocked from the rest of the Big 10 and Michigan future opponents.

Do we want a >280 lb TE or DE? We have Depth at TE currently and hungry players on the edge. I think TJ would need to prove he’s still the impact player he was recruited as. Seems like he may have let go of a nice opportunity at Michigan, and we may be better off using scholarships building depth for years to come. That’s just my opinion right now though, open for debate

Do we want a >280 lb TE or DE? We have Depth at TE currently and hungry players on the edge. I think TJ would need to prove he’s still the impact player he was recruited as. Seems like he may have let go of a nice opportunity at Michigan, and we may be better off using scholarships building depth for years to come. That’s just my opinion right now though, open for debate

No, probably not. If he slims down to 250-260, then yea. And if he doesn't and continues to fill out and maintains his athletic ability, maybe he'll be agreeable to a position change to DT like a Ken Ruff or Josh Black (I think he was recruited as a DE?)

I still think that a kid like Andres During (sp?) ought to seriously consider becoming a run stopper in the Chris Elmore mold.

No, probably not. If he slims down to 250-260, then yea. And if he doesn't and continues to fill out and maintains his athletic ability, maybe he'll be agreeable to a position change to DT like a Ken Ruff or Josh Black (I think he was recruited as a DE?)

I still think that a kid like Andres During (sp?) ought to seriously consider becoming a run stopper in the Chris Elmore mold.
Andreas Duerig.

Looking back at this thread takes me back - Rocco, DCCuse, CaliCuse (RIP) - all awesome posters who I haven’t seen in a while. Anyway, best of luck to Ty jr at his next school!

But I’m sure Rutgers was expecting him to land On The Banks. How sad. Now they can blame it on being blocked.

I'd rather bring in that freshman DT who just left Virginia Tech.

Don't think that a kid with his dimensions fits our scheme.

If he gets back into shape, maybe a different story. Weren't you the one who indicated that he was pushing 350 now? Yikes.

I like his idea if Wheatly proves that he is willing to put in the time and hard work. Also the staff would need to asses with him the possibilities of what position he is going to play. Look at what we lost out on with not taking Latavius Murray his senior season. I may be comparing oranges to apples, but I think it is worth the risk if all of the factors I mentioned above are worked out early in the process.

I like his idea if Wheatly proves that he is willing to put in the time and hard work. Also the staff would need to asses with him the possibilities of what position he is going to play. Look at what we lost out on with not taking Latavius Murray his senior season. I may be comparing oranges to apples, but I think it is worth the risk if all of the factors I mentioned above are worked out early in the process.

I understand what you’re saying but Murray was entering his senior season looking like an nfl prospect. Not overweight and disgruntled

Murray was coming off of a knee injury if I remember correctly. Some weren’t sure he would be able to hold up. I’m not disagreeing with you, just think some kids deserve another chance with the right attitude.

Last edited:
Somewhat of a question or maybe more of a thought but I feel like the reality of going to a big name school is always be ready for that school recruit over you (which I know happens at all schools) but it's easier for a UM to get that talent. If you were to go to a let's say Syracuse or program in P5 not a blue chip you are less likely to be recruited over and thus the staff may keep you more accountable to some degree. I know it's always the next man up but the aren't the coaches more invested to some extent because they can't afford to let talent get wasted unless the kid just is not buying in.

Thoughts?