Dear american football... | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

I have nothing but respect for the World Cup, but I really need some American football back in my life. Can we just fast forward to Labor Day weekend? Would anyone be opposed to that?
I wouldn't be opposed...now. When I am on my death bed I probably want these 2 months back though. ;)

Opus said:
I have a problem with a team making the final on a 'penalty shootout'. (I think that is the term.) I would be okay with that if it was a regular season game but when it is 1 and done, just seems kind of cheap. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Granted I am not a huge soccer fan so I don't know the history. Maybe that is part of it. With that being said... 'Deutschland über alles' (Well when the USA isn't invloved) ;)
Soccer shootouts are the worst thing in any sport

I have a problem with a team making the final on a 'penalty shootout'. (I think that is the term.) I would be okay with that if it was a regular season game but when it is 1 and done, just seems kind of cheap. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Granted I am not a huge soccer fan so I don't know the history. Maybe that is part of it. With that being said... 'Deutschland über alles' (Well when the USA isn't invloved) ;)

I don't like it either. Supposedly there is a rule being looked at that would allow more subs during extra time. Hopefully fresh legs will stop this from happening. I couldn't see extra time going much more than 30 minutes though -- tired legs in soccer makes for a very sloppy game.

I don't like it either. Supposedly there is a rule being looked at that would allow more subs during extra time. Hopefully fresh legs will stop this from happening. I couldn't see extra time going much more than 30 minutes though -- tired legs in soccer makes for a very sloppy game.
I would rather see them go the US Open route and play again the next day. You'd be at a big disadvantage if you advance but that's a feature not a bug - settling for tie becomes a lot less attractive

It is insane that it's not sudden death. you go to extra time, someone scores, and you still leave the door open for a shootout? makes no sense even though it's rare.

If you're going to do a shootout, make it a direct kick shootout from just outside the box, let the other team form a wall. it's more like regular play and when a goal does go in, it won't just be because the goalie guessed wrong

Millhouse said:
I would rather see them go the US Open route and play again the next day. You'd be at a big disadvantage if you advance but that's a feature not a bug - settling for tie becomes a lot less attractive It is insane that it's not sudden death. you go to extra time, someone scores, and you still leave the door open for a shootout? makes no sense even though it's rare. If you're going to do a shootout, make it a direct kick shootout from just outside the box, let the other team form a wall. it's more like regular play and when a goal does go in, it won't just be because the goalie guessed wrong

Agree. Problem would be largely mitigated by subs in extra time and sudden death. After that - I like the direct kick - or just move the penalty kick back 15 feet or more.

I would rather see them go the US Open route and play again the next day. You'd be at a big disadvantage if you advance but that's a feature not a bug - settling for tie becomes a lot less attractive

It is insane that it's not sudden death. you go to extra time, someone scores, and you still leave the door open for a shootout? makes no sense even though it's rare.

If you're going to do a shootout, make it a direct kick shootout from just outside the box, let the other team form a wall. it's more like regular play and when a goal does go in, it won't just be because the goalie guessed wrong

The best argument for the current format is the France vs Germany '82 semifinal. Greatest game I ever saw. 1-1 after regulation. France scores 2 in the 1st 15-minute OT period. 3-1, game over? Not quite. Germany answers with 2. 3-3, penalties. After 3 penalties: 3-2 France. But French miss one of the remaining 2, so it's 4-4 after 5 and it goes to sudden death penalties. French miss the 6th and Germans don't. With the "golden" goal that masterpiece never happens.

Also, as a goalie, let me tell you, penalties are faaar from a given. Unless the keeper is jumpy, if the ball isn't hit not just in the corner, but into the side netting - and with decent pace, there is ALWAYS a chance for a save. More times than not, even the best players have trouble executing properly - especially under such immense pressure. Loved how Krull was messing with Costa Ricans. It's a psychological, physical, and skill test. After all, isn't it the ultimate "goal" to test the base ability of soccer players to score against the other team's last line of defense, i.e. the goalie?

The best argument for the current format is the France vs Germany '82 semifinal. Greatest game I ever saw. 1-1 after regulation. France scores 2 in the 1st 15-minute OT period. 3-1, game over? Not quite. Germany answers with 2. 3-3, penalties. After 3 penalties: 3-2 France. But French miss one of the remaining 2, so it's 4-4 after 5 and it goes to sudden death penalties. French miss the 6th and Germans don't. With the "golden" goal that masterpiece never happens.

Also, as a goalie, let me tell you, penalties are faaar from a given. Unless the keeper is jumpy, if the ball isn't hit not just in the corner, but into the side netting - and with decent pace, there is ALWAYS a chance for a save. More times than not, even the best players have trouble executing properly - especially under such immense pressure. Loved how Krull was messing with Costa Ricans. It's a psychological, physical, and skill test. After all, isn't it the ultimate "goal" to test the base ability of soccer players to score against the other team's last line of defense, i.e. the goalie?
i never said it was a given.

last time i played goal was JV (here's where i brag about a shutout against Albion or some like al bundy). it felt stupid then too. i guessed right and made a save, does that make me special? i think if your best option is to guess and dive the wrong way 2/3 of the time, it's not really a great test of base ability. i think direct free kicks from outside the box are a better test of base ability. no one goes on youtube to look up pks

listening to soccer guys defend the shootout makes me root against the sport a little bit

Tired legs let goals in the net.

i never said it was a given.

last time i played goal was JV (here's where i brag about a shutout against Albion or some like al bundy). it felt stupid then too. i guessed right and made a save, does that make me special? i think if your best option is to guess and dive the wrong way 2/3 of the time, it's not really a great test of base ability. i think direct free kicks from outside the box are a better test of base ability. no one goes on youtube to look up pks

listening to soccer guys defend the shootout makes me root against the sport a little bit

That's just the point. Guessing is NOT the best option - exactly b/c you guess wrong or get faked out 2/3 of the time. You're essentially contradicting yourself, because it would then actually BE almost a given if guessing WERE the best option. ;)

Most penalties are saved not b/c of a lucky guess, but b/c of skill or lack thereof by either the shooter or a goalie. Anyway, being a goalie all my life, I'm obviously biased.

As for PK vs , to each his own. But I think PK's are more "pure". Also shootouts would go much longer than PKs. Not everyone is Messi ... or even David Luiz ;) It'd go on forever until someone hit one.

I'd make a radical change - corner kicks instead of penalty kicks. After a brief sudden death overtime, run either a 10-, 30-, or 60-second clock after the kick to allow a set play and/or 2nd chance to develop. Depending on how much time is put up, it might even be possible for the defending team to score (and prevent the offense from sending everyone into the box). Teams alternate corner kicks until one has an advantage - similiar to the college OTs.

It's not ideal, but since so many goals are scored off of corner kicks already, it would decide the game in a relatively short manner in a more soccer-like way.

I understand that the penalty kick scoring rate is 89% for World Cup play... Might as well settle basketball games with a free throw shooting contest from 5 feet away.

That's just the point. Guessing is NOT the best option - exactly b/c you guess wrong or get faked out 2/3 of the time. You're essentially contradicting yourself, because it would then actually BE almost a given if guessing WERE the best option. ;)

Most penalties are saved not b/c of a lucky guess, but b/c of skill or lack thereof by either the shooter or a goalie. Anyway, being a goalie all my life, I'm obviously biased.

As for PK vs , to each his own. But I think PK's are more "pure". Also shootouts would go much longer than PKs. Not everyone is Messi ... or even David Luiz ;) It'd go on forever until someone hit one.
just because guessing is the best option doesn't mean shooters can't miss on their own or that despite guessing right not making the save

aye yi yi

rock paper scissors is a stupid way to end a game

I'd make a radical change - corner kicks instead of penalty kicks. After a brief sudden death overtime, run either a 10-, 30-, or 60-second clock after the kick to allow a set play and/or 2nd chance to develop. Depending on how much time is put up, it might even be possible for the defending team to score (and prevent the offense from sending everyone into the box). Teams alternate corner kicks until one has an advantage - similiar to the college OTs.

It's not ideal, but since so many goals are scored off of corner kicks already, it would decide the game in a relatively short manner in a more soccer-like way.
corner kick goals are not that common as a % of corners. would take forever to end a game that way

if teams had a good percentage, you wouldn't see so many short corners

Why can't you be a part of baseball with your kid by playing catch, pitching to them or hitting them grounders? I don't see the "hick" element. Much more fun than teaching your kid how to flop if someone brushes past you.
Then don't let them watch Duke basketball. Heck don't let them watch the NBA either.

I understand that the penalty kick scoring rate is 89% for World Cup play... Might as well settle basketball games with a free throw shooting contest from 5 feet away.
Yes, but in regulation, make them them use those baskets used in carnival hoops games.

Then don't let them watch Duke basketball. Heck don't let them watch the NBA either.
Some people use the term "flopping" in hoops for simply getting into good defensive position and drawing a foul. In doing so, it's good for the defensive player to know how to absorb impact without getting hurt. This can involve falling which both sells the defensive play and helps absorb the impact to avoid injuries. It does not involve writhing in fake pain pretending to be injured. Even the dramatically exaggerated falls do not involve the silly pretense of injury.

Some people use the term "flopping" in hoops for simply getting into good defensive position and drawing a foul. In doing so, it's good for the defensive player to know how to absorb impact without getting hurt. This can involve falling which both sells the defensive play and helps absorb the impact to avoid injuries. It does not involve writhing in fake pain pretending to be injured. Even the dramatically exaggerated falls do not involve the silly pretense of injury.

Flopping is flopping regardless of the sport. Some people just sell it a little bit differently. The trying to avoid injury explanation is a complete farce. Lebron James is 6'8" 250 and flops all over the floor on offense, how is he trying to avoid injury? There are examples all over youtube of the ball getting hit out of his hands and he grabs his head (against the pacers comes to mind). How about this, was wade diminishing his chance of injury or trying to draw a bull*** call?

I've played hockey with numerous guys that broke noses, separated shoulders, pulled muscles, etc. and didn't miss their next shift. Hell, I've broken an ankle during a game and finished it out.

Soccer is a game for bitches.

Flopping is flopping regardless of the sport. Some people just sell it a little bit differently. The trying to avoid injury explanation is a complete farce.
Not true. When I played basketball in high school, we spend a lot of time learning how to correctly draw a charge without getting killed. Again, in basketball, it does not involve the silly hysteria of pretending to be injured for a few minutes.

stats i find interesting

4 of the last 6 world cup finals have been won by a team scoring 1 goal or less. 1 of those goals came in extra time. So half the time since 1990, the winning team has no goals in 90 minutes.

there has been 1 goal scored by the losing side in the last 6 world cups. One since freaking Maradona's world cup

median game has been 1-0

the only time the losing side got a goal, we were treated to a stupid shootout.

soccer's big showcase in the US ended in a 0-0 shootout (baggio kicking over the net)

BOOOORING

Not true. When I played basketball in high school, we spend a lot of time learning how to correctly draw a charge without getting killed. Again, in basketball, it does not involve the silly hysteria of pretending to be injured for a few minutes.

Hmm, you conveniently disregarded the wade video or Lebron example where they had nothing to do with injury and were trying to get a competitive advantage. Or in football when you see an offensive lineman fly to the ground after a play when a small cb gives them a little shove trying to draw a personal foul. It happens in every sport is what I'm getting at.

Hmm, you conveniently disregarded the wade video or Lebron example where they had nothing to do with injury and were trying to get a competitive advantage. Or in football when you see an offensive lineman fly to the ground after a play when a small cb gives them a little shove trying to draw a personal foul. It happens in every sport is what I'm getting at.
I already cited the fact that sometimes players exaggerate the impact. You conveniently disregarded that. Yes, that's the part about selling the foul. Again, they don't wail like babies pounding their fists on the ground pretending to be hurt. The Wade clip was an example of the ref being fooled though the elbow was close to Wade's head and Wade didn't even hit the ground. But look what happened after... nothing. They just continued the game. SU2NASA is correct in his assessment.

This is a thread killer. Soccer zealots are loopy

For clarification, where do you think the term "fan" comes from? As a long time member of this site don't you realize it is occupied entirely by loopy goofy zealots? Hell, some on here go to war over whether football or basketball is the only true sport to follow. They pound their sadly lacking chests and proclaim "my sport is the only one anyone should ever follow".

I say let them beat themselves into their private little mindless stupors and the rest of us will enjoy whatever sports we want to enjoy. We can take great pleasure in their railings though. Gives a retired old fart something to laugh about in the middle of their work day. :rolleyes: