Dear american football... | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

Some people use the term "flopping" in hoops for simply getting into good defensive position and drawing a foul. In doing so, it's good for the defensive player to know how to absorb impact without getting hurt. This can involve falling which both sells the defensive play and helps absorb the impact to avoid injuries. It does not involve writhing in fake pain pretending to be injured. Even the dramatically exaggerated falls do not involve the silly pretense of injury.

Nice try to spin it. Guess you have missed two seasons of SU basketball and the faking of head contact to draw technical fouls. And faking of injuries happens in other sports as well, just not as often. Soccer needs to fix this. All sports have players that bring out the warts in the sport. You have found my biggest disgust with soccer. That does not make it less of a major sport for me however.

Why you think you need to explain BB to anyone on this board is well... interesting at best. It did make me smile though. Remember what board you are on. We are quite probably all well versed in SU's three main sports.

I already cited the fact that sometimes players exaggerate the impact. You conveniently disregarded that. Yes, that's the part about selling the foul. Again, they don't wail like babies pounding their fists on the ground pretending to be hurt. The Wade clip was an example of the ref being fooled though the elbow was close to Wade's head and Wade didn't even hit the ground. But look what happened after... nothing. They just continued the game. SU2NASA is correct in his assessment.
can't simultaneously make messi a hero for not diving while saying that soccer's no different than other sports. flopping is bad in a basketball but not so bad where we make a point to credit someone for not flopping

Nice try to spin it. Guess you have missed two seasons of SU basketball and the faking of head contact to draw technical fouls. And faking of injuries happens in other sports as well, just not as often. Soccer needs to fix this. All sports have players that bring out the warts in the sport. You have found my biggest disgust with soccer. That does not make it less of a major sport for me however.

Why you think you need to explain BB to anyone on this board is well... interesting at best. It did make me smile though. Remember what board you are on. We are quite probably all well versed in SU's three main sports.
I have not missed anything nor do I feel a need to explain basketball to people on this board. You asked me questions, I answered them.

Could someone provide a Cliff's notes on relegation?

As I understand, there is basically an "A" League and a "B" League in terms of $$, prestige, etc. At the end of the season, the lowest however many A-teams play either each other or the top B-teams for the right to compete in the A-league during the following season (if the A-teams play each other, the loser is replaced by the top B-team, otherwise the winner of the A-B matchups play in the elite league). I'm sure I've missed several nuances (single game vs. series, multiple rounds, how many teams are involved, etc.), but am intrigued by the idea and would like to see it in other sports as well.

I think if the MLS could align with the next best league and create a relegation system, it might have a chance of capturing the publics attention. Even not knowing the teams, the fact that the stakes are high and they are truly playing for the livelyhoods would produce some ratings. It would also allow professional soccer to expand into more markets without diluting the upper echelon league.

American pro sports franchise owners will NEVER go for relegation.

Like, never, ever, ever.

Could someone provide a Cliff's notes on relegation?

To use EPL has example.

They have 20 teams. The season is 38 games. Play every team home-and-away. 3pts win 1pt tie 0pt loss. Most pts wins title. Bottom three teams get relegated to English second division.

English 2nd Division:
Same schedule/pts format. Top two teams get promoted. Teams 3-6 go into playoff to decide final promoted team. Semifinals are home-and-away, the finals is one match held at Wembley Stadium.

It works in soccer because they don't have a player draft. The worst team doesn't get chance for best prospect. It prevents "tanking." Also gives lower level teams a long-term goal to attain.

Not all countries follow this exact format. In Germany the third worst team in top league plays third best team from 2nd division home-and-away to decide that spot.

If you want to know how crazy promotion playoffs are, watch this video from 2013. This match got Watford into the promotion final. I love this sport!

I've played hockey with numerous guys that broke noses, separated shoulders, pulled muscles, etc. and didn't miss their next shift. Hell, I've broken an ankle during a game and finished it out.

Soccer is a game for bitches.
This is true in every sport ever played. You think hockey players are the only athletes to tough out games with injuries?

This is true in every sport ever played. You think hockey players are the only athletes to tough out games with injuries?

I think on average, by far yes.

Hockey.

Hit the puck in front of an area and hope it take a weird bounce. Dirt worst sport

Also, the "fighting". Great. Unathletic dudes that can balance on skates with bushy beards hanging onto each other until someone falls. Yeah, great stuff.

(This is a parody of the obvious trolls in this thread before anyone starts crying)

It's a problem if in order to watch the game at its highest level I have to go to a bar at seven am.

You mean college football on the west coast?

I think on average, by far yes.
That just about explains it all right there. Just to be clear. This isn't a compliment.

A complete and total lack of information and knowledge of other sports can be the only reason for that analysis. I'm trying to be kind here. I know the "sport" requires fighting when your opponent has more talent and getting teeth knocked out is some kind of standard of excellence. But I see that as stupid. How that has become such a part of a "sport" outside of boxing is intriguing. My big dumb guy can beat-up your big dumb guy. What skills, what talent, what a sport!

That just about explains it all right there. Just to be clear. This isn't a compliment.

A complete and total lack of information and knowledge of other sports can be the only reason for that analysis. I'm trying to be kind here. I know the "sport" requires fighting when your opponent has more talent and getting teeth knocked out is some kind of standard of excellence. But I see that as stupid. How that has become such a part of a "sport" outside of boxing is intriguing. My big dumb guy can beat-up your big dumb guy. What skills, what talent, what a sport!

Seriously, that's your comeback? Picking out fighting in hockey? Have you ever even watched a game? Do you have any comprehension of how much or little fighting happens at every level?

Just an absolutely terrible post on your part. Just awful.

I award you zero points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Seriously, that's your comeback? Picking out fighting in hockey? Have you ever even watched a game? Do you have any comprehension of how much or little fighting happens at every level?

Just an absolutely terrible post on your part. Just awful.

I award you zero points and may God have mercy on your soul.
Due to this whole thread having ramblings of the insane, I felt it was my duty to step up and join in. After all I knew I would fit right in! ;)

Until we have a thread title that says "Wow, did you see that Seattle-Portland MLS game" or "Huge trade in MLS today" soccer is not threat to anything but the fringe sports. The World Cup is a fantasy land nowhere near the daily grind of everyday soccer and the fans needed to support it. Soccer is gaining - I predicted this Cup would have huge ratings - but it's because of the World Cup being a spectacle. If you're so into soccer, head on out to your local MLS team and then talk.

Tired legs let goals in the net.

I disagree completely. When fatigue start setting in during a soccer game, the first thing that you notice is first touches going awry, players not completing their runs, poor weights on final passes, basically the skills that are needed to build up to goals are the first to go. Goals are even harder to come by because teams start playing not to lose and drop their midfielders deeper and fullbacks push up less on the flanks and play a more traditional role instead of supporting the attack. Tired legs destroy offensive soccer.

I'm not saying tired legs don't impact defenses, but I think fatigue has a much greater impact on offensive talent than defensive. If you have a tired offense vs. a tired defense, I think the defense would be heavily favored over the course of an extra time.

Until we have a thread title that says "Wow, did you see that Seattle-Portland MLS game" or "Huge trade in MLS today" soccer is not threat to anything but the fringe sports. The World Cup is a fantasy land nowhere near the daily grind of everyday soccer and the fans needed to support it. Soccer is gaining - I predicted this Cup would have huge ratings - but it's because of the World Cup being a spectacle. If you're so into soccer, head on out to your local MLS team and then talk.

Why does it have to be MLS? There's multiple threads on the other sports board at all times about EPL. Like all year round.

To use EPL has example.

They have 20 teams. The season is 38 games. Play every team home-and-away. 3pts win 1pt tie 0pt loss. Most pts wins title. Bottom three teams get relegated to English second division.

English 2nd Division:
Same schedule/pts format. Top two teams get promoted. Teams 3-6 go into playoff to decide final promoted team. Semifinals are home-and-away, the finals is one match held at Wembley Stadium.

It works in soccer because they don't have a player draft. The worst team doesn't get chance for best prospect. It prevents "tanking." Also gives lower level teams a long-term goal to attain.

Not all countries follow this exact format. In Germany the third worst team in top league plays third best team from 2nd division home-and-away to decide that spot.
i wish american sports used relegation in the draft. i'd like the worst team in the league to get no pick in the first round. then you can have a lottery or a simple next worst gets first pick and so on. getting relegated from the first round of the draft would give a lot of incentive to win without having to deal with teams coming and going

Why does it have to be MLS? There's multiple threads on the other sports board at all times about EPL. Like all year round.

It has to be MLS because the EPL is never going to replace any of the major sports leagues in the US imo. A league that is actually played here might have the chance to do that.

So to sum up this whole thread. We have 4 or 5 guys who love soccer, a whole bunch who simply don't care, and 4 or 5 of us trying to tell the other 4 or 5 why the others guys still don't care.
Here's a positive sign for the domestic league: the season just hit its mid-way point, so MLS Live's subscription price was cut in half (MLS Live is the live streaming and digital archive of all the games). Since the price cut/World Cup boost, subscriptions are up 300%.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mylestanzer/the-world-cup-bump-is-real-mls-streaming-subscriptions-are-u

A better indicator would be what the numbers look like for the next 3 non WC years. If they sustain their subscription rate then awesome job. If it falls back down next year then it was just a WC bump.

American pro sports franchise owners will NEVER go for relegation.

Like, never, ever, ever.
we dont need to try that excercise with the pros, we just did it with the colleges.

goodbye storz...