Dear american football... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

^ thats a very interesting stat.
I will say, as an addendum, that's combining the ESPN and Univision numbers in the US. I have no idea if the World Series numbers are only Fox or also include Univision/Telemundo, but been taking Univision out, the number of ESPN viewers would beat all but 10 World Series games since 2005.

Well of course it's not as popular as the WC - duh. If you developed an affinity for some U-19 players who went on to play in MLS - there could be a small uptick in interest.
Fair enough. My point when I said it was not as big is basically, that people will go "its u-19 who cares"

It's nice to see a game that I can stay awake for. I love baseball but if I know it's going to end with me waking up to an infomercial on the couch, I don't bother watching any of it
I can honestly say I know zip about ball. I just don't pay attention or know how popular it is, so I stay away from the Baseball vs Soccer argument.

Clev04 said:
Comical that you don't think soccer will pass baseball in America. Kind of an ignorant comment just because you don't appreciate the game. Guarantee it will happen within 10-15 years. Soccer is still an extremely young sport in America. Just read this article from ESPN, the culture is changing. http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...hes-mlb-in-popularity-with-kidssays-espn-poll

Guarantee? In 10 years?

I am VERY familiar with the data in that link. Like VERY.

If by "pass" baseball you are considering the totality of each sport's fan base, total attendance, and total TV ratings (local and national)... then I will bet you a bajillion dollars that will not happen.

Scooch said:
I'd contend that it's not the number of athletes playing sports other than soccer that is an impediment. There are loads of world class athletes playing soccer in America. The challenge is the instruction. Europe and South America have a *decades* head start on training, coaching, etc. Hoops is a great comparison. Lithuania isn't a great basketball nation because they have millions of great athletes playing the sports. It's because the have first class instruction for the great athletes that do play.
I think it's the numbers. You can get by with bad habits if you're gifted because so many gifted athletes are doing other things. Kids in soccer countries learn that first touch because all the best athletes play and close space so fast

When/if soccer passes baseball depends in large part on whether Qatar's World Cup hosting duties fall through and the US picks up the hosting duties, which is certainly a possibility. Forward momentum coupled with another WC in the US would absolutely expedite the continued growth.

jekelish said:
I will say, as an addendum, that's combining the ESPN and Univision numbers in the US. I have no idea if the World Series numbers are only Fox or also include Univision/Telemundo, but been taking Univision out, the number of ESPN viewers would beat all but 10 World Series games since 2005.

And the US-Canada gold medal hockey game from the 2010 Olympics also posted a better rating than World Series games as well.

These games that stir national pride are awesome, but they're not an indicator of future performance of the league play that follows.

And to all in this thread who have the audacity to suggest that the MLS is out-drawing the NBA -- please f-ing stop. Holy cow. Average attendance for 34 games (vs 82) does not equal out-drawing, particularly when tix cost a fraction of nba tix. If you want to argue that the MLS draws well enough to warrant respect as a pro sports league, I'm fine with it. If you want to argue that the nba is awful and bland, fine. But arguing that they out-draw the nba is about as intellectually dishonest as it gets.

And the US-Canada gold medal hockey game from the 2010 Olympics also posted a better rating than World Series games as well.

These games that stir national pride are awesome, but they're not an indicator of future performance of the league play that follows.
:) :) I was at that game :) :)

When/if soccer passes baseball depends in large part on whether Qatar's World Cup hosting duties fall through and the US picks up the hosting duties, which is certainly a possibility. Forward momentum coupled with another WC in the US would absolutely expedite the continued growth.
Don't know which would be worse - those f-king horns in South Africa or Qatar's 175 degree weather.

Also, eventually some of our top athletes WILL become soccer players. They'll simply love the sport, for the same reason SU has a lax player who was the football defensive player of the year in Texas as a high school senior. Love of the game. And can you imagine that? Imagine someone like, say, Rajon Rondo in goal, with his height, length, agility, quickness, and absurdly large hands. He would be the best keeper in the world.

Millhouse said:
I think it's the numbers. You can get by with bad habits if you're gifted because so many gifted athletes are doing other things. Kids in soccer countries learn that first touch because all the best athletes play and close space so fast

We're a nation of 315 million. Belgium is at 11 million. Even if every great Belgian athlete plays soccer, America still has multiple X more playing.

Our development system is still in its infancy.

We're a nation of 315 million. Belgium is at 11 million. Even if every great Belgian athlete plays soccer, America still has multiple X more playing.

Our development system is still in its infancy.
And that, to me, is a massive thing. We have only just recently (relatively) begun a development system, with DeAndre Yedlin being the first of hopefully many products.

It doesn't depend on that at all, IMO. Soccer could pass MLB at some point, I'm not entirely opposed to that view. But for it to happen US soccer has to matter. Right now, realistically it doesn't. I mean, I guess I'd like to see the PawSox win the Governor's Cup in AAA baseball every year, but the rest of the country isn't going to care. If US soccer matters at some point, then we will talk about potentially passing baseball. Until that happens and as long as the MLS is no longer laughed at or completely ignored by European soccer fans, baseball can sleep easy at night.

This is a great post as several of yours have been in this thread. People seem to lose sight of the fact that the World Cup itself is an awesome event. I happen to have zero interest in it, but it's an awesome event that the whole world watches -- every four years! That's a huge key -- every four years is part of what makes it so special. What that means for the MLS and soccer fandome in america, however, is completely different question.

:) :) I was at that game :) :)

So, Canadian, can you explain why offsides exists? I've never understood this about soccer. If everyone was cherry picking and there was more scoring, wouldn't everyone win?

This is a great post as several of yours have been in this thread. People seem to lose sight of the fact that the World Cup itself is an awesome event. I happen to have zero interest in it, but it's an awesome event that the whole world watches -- every four years! That's a huge key -- every four years is part of what makes it so special. What that means for the MLS and soccer fandome in america, however, is completely different question.
If I lived in a city with an MLS franchise - I could get interested. Other than that - not so much. All-Star matches with other leagues would get my interest.

So, Canadian, can you explain why offsides exists? I've never understood this about soccer. If everyone was cherry picking and there was more scoring, wouldn't everyone win?
With a field that big, cherry picking would just be to easy. I have always, always wanted them (FIFA) to at least allow offside to happen in the box, thus creating more goals.

billsin01 said:

Americans love two things.

1. Big events
2. America

A good showing by a US team at a big event is the perfect storm.

Remember, prior to the USA-Portugal match the most-viewed soccer game in American TV history was...the 1999 Women's World Cup final.

How have those women's pro soccer leagues fared?

With a field that big, cherry picking would just be to easy. I have always, always wanted them (FIFA) to at least allow offside to happen in the box, thus creating more goals.

What about a lacrosse-type setup where three guys from each team have to stay one one side of the field thus generating more space?

I'd be a bit worried if I were you. This wasn't some "oh, how cute a soccer game is on" moment for the american sports fan. This was a "holy cow, this is freaking great" tournament.

Add this to the concussion issue and I think there's legit reason for concern.

Some 10 year old future Bo Jackson might choose soccer with a nudge from mom and dad.

Ha -- I see kids being pulled out of soccer and into lax and baseball because parents don't like watching their 7 year learning how to flop.

This was an event and excuse not to work.