Dear Dougie... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dear Dougie...

People who call Coach Marrone "Dougie" or "Doogie" remind me of the HS upperclassmen who used to get on my ass when I was 6'0" and 185 lbs as a sophomore.

When I came home from my sophomore year at SU, I was 6'4" and 235 lbs., and really well-built. I found it funny that they no longer had the stones to talk smack.

Methinks I smell Summer's Eve.
I was 6' 185-190 for about 20 years, well closer to 200 for the last 15 of that, until about 8 years ago when I became 6' 235. :)

Didn't know we at the combine, but anywho, doogie can't coach.

If you dont like my posts just block me. Complaining about other posters is for suckers. The ability to block folks makes this place work.

As for retro's response re: wanting to shoot me, while I would expect nothing less from a union biotch, i dont think its very classy to joke about firearms. I am assuming you will be banned for threatening another poster's life, but before you go please let me remind you that I was right about Dougie and you were wrong.

Go 'Cuse!

As Kenny Rogers would say (or sing), "he decorates the board"

It would be more fun if we had live video of him being waterboarded.

while I would expect nothing less from a union biotch

Go 'Cuse!

Your outsourcing your "skills" to Dubai, Qatar, Al-Jazeera, Al Qaeda - who knows but your bashing someone who works in America with other Americans. LOL, the irony.

People who call Coach Marrone "Dougie" or "Doogie" remind me of the HS upperclassmen who used to get on my ass when I was 6'0" and 185 lbs as a sophomore.

When I came home from my sophomore year at SU, I was 6'4" and 235 lbs., and really well-built. I found it funny that they no longer had the stones to talk smack.

Methinks I smell Summer's Eve.

It's an interesting phenomenon, that posting on a message board motivates grown men to act like annoying 16 year old punks. I'll never understand it, so count me as one person who agrees with you.

Tristy, why not absorb the fact that DM isn't going anywhere? No sense in babbling like a fool.

Tristy, why not absorb the fact that DM isn't going anywhere? No sense in babbling like a fool.

because there is no way SU is going to keep this chump if this record of suckiness continues. somehow this board has been brainwashed into thinking that an 0-9 streak isnt an embarrassing failure. But it is. Any other school would have fired this guy by now.

We deserve better. Maybe you dont, but the rest of us do. And to be sure, players do.

Dougie, resign.

If you dont like my posts just block me. Complaining about other posters is for suckers. The ability to block folks makes this place work.

As for retro's response re: wanting to shoot me, while I would expect nothing less from a union biotch, i dont think its very classy to joke about firearms. I am assuming you will be banned for threatening another poster's life, but before you go please let me remind you that I was right about Dougie and you were wrong.

Go 'Cuse!

why...are your fingers loaded

I don't believe that Tristy ever attended SU. He's never admitted to living or working anywhere near Central New York. To the best of my knowledge he's never been a season ticket holder or a booster.

Of all the Div 1 teams he could have adopted, how'd we get so lucky?

I don't believe that Tristy ever attended SU. He's never admitted to living or working anywhere near Central New York. To the best of my knowledge he's never been a season ticket holder or a booster.

Of all the Div 1 teams he could have adopted, how'd we get so lucky?
He's Doody from the newspaper board.

Mehhh. Swap out Hopkins for Marrone and welcome to 2016 or whenever. That's the big show. This is a practice troll.

because there is no way SU is going to keep this chump if this record of suckiness continues. somehow this board has been brainwashed into thinking that an 0-9 streak isnt an embarrassing failure. But it is. Any other school would have fired this guy by now.

We deserve better. Maybe you dont, but the rest of us do. And to be sure, players do.

Dougie, resign.

It isn't brainwashing. Marrone has a 5 year deal. He almost has a full roster of the kids he recruited. They will give him a shot next year regardless of how this year plays out. I am pretty damn sure of that.

Dougie, resign.

We should let the season play out. That being said I have little faith that Marrone will get things done this year. Should we lose to Pitt (which BTW hasn't happened yet), I really think the bottom will fall out. Mediocre HCs do not go 0-9 against Louisville, @UConn, USF, Cincy (without QB), @Pitt, NW, USC, @Minn (without QB), and Pitt. If Marrone wasn't an SU guy, everyone would be calling for his head.

Marrone's job is to

1. Stabilize the program (which he succeeded at)
2. Get us back to the 2002-04 level (which he has failed to do thus far and in year 4 is unacceptable)
3. Get us to the 1999-2001 level
4. Get us to the 1993-98 level
5. Get us to the 1987-92 level

I give him credit for doing #1. He did that very well. He stopped the bleeding for sure. But he has failed to move the program forward from that point. I think people get too hung up on "hey he's not GRob" or "hey he achieved #1" and are not looking forward. At some point you need to move on. Those 2002-04 teams were not very good yet the talent they had was better than this year's team. That is kinda scary. Especially RBs and the front 7 on D. It is almost laughable to compare those to what we have now.

IMO this Pitt game is huge for Marrone's tenure here. It will tell a lot. There really isn't a reason why he shouldn't go 3-1 in the upcoming games. We could win all four but that isn't fair to expect, especially coming off of 0-8. Without Pitt I can't see us pushing for a Bowl and I fear the team will have a loser's mentality the rest of the year. I think it will make for a long next 19 games as an SU fan.

I hope Marrone is able to rally the troops. He really would be a good long term solution as HC. For whatever reason he just can't get it done on the field. Maybe he just wasn't ready to be a HC right now. Lots of good HCs fail their first gig (even Belichick and Coughlin). Maybe we were better off getting a short term guy in 2009 and hiring Marrone in 2014 when he was more seasoned. We took a risk in hiring him when we did as he had no experience as a HC and had been out of the college game for 8 years. Even if he fails at SU, I could see him being successful as a HC later on in life.

But let's see how things go before asking him to resign. Honestly I think he needs to get to 4-8 to keep his job this year. If he is as safe as some here like to think, SU would have extended his contract by now. The fact that they haven't means that the firing option is still on the table. The question is what record brings down the hammer.

Since we are SU fans let's root for Marrone to be successful on Friday. A successful Marrone means a successful SU.

It isn't brainwashing. Marrone has a 5 year deal. He almost has a full roster of the kids he recruited. They will give him a shot next year regardless of how this year plays out. I am pretty damn sure of that.

Rarely do you see a team have a HC go into a year as a lame duck. When they have one year left it usually means either fire him or extend him. If we end up last place in the BE, Marrone is gone. There was a group at SU that wanted Addazio as HC. How can you justify keeping Marrone if he ends up behind Addazio and his less talented Temple team in the BE standings? It defies logic to do so. IMO Marrone needs at least 2 BE Ws to keep his job. Having 0 or 1 W will be it for him.

Lighten up...don't take yourself so seriously... Oh Lord

HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT STRIPES VIDEO? What's missing is the look on Harold Ramis's face "Priceless"

We should let the season play out. That being said I have little faith that Marrone will get things done this year. Should we lose to Pitt (which BTW hasn't happened yet), I really think the bottom will fall out. Mediocre HCs do not go 0-9 against Louisville, @UConn, USF, Cincy (without QB), @Pitt, NW, USC, @Minn (without QB), and Pitt. If Marrone wasn't an SU guy, everyone would be calling for his head.

Marrone's job is to

2. Get us back to the 2002-04 level (which he has failed to do thus far and in year 4 is unacceptable)

I give him credit for doing #1. He did that very well. He stopped the bleeding for sure. But he has failed to move the program forward from that point. I think people get too hung up on "hey he's not GRob" or "hey he achieved #1" and are not looking forward. At some point you need to move on. Those 2002-04 teams were not very good yet the talent they had was better than this year's team. That is kinda scary. Especially RBs and the front 7 on D. It is almost laughable to compare those to what we have now.

IMO this Pitt game is huge for Marrone's tenure here. It will tell a lot. There really isn't a reason why he shouldn't go 3-1 in the upcoming games. We could win all four but that isn't fair to expect, especially coming off of 0-8. Without Pitt I can't see us pushing for a Bowl and I fear the team will have a loser's mentality the rest of the year. I think it will make for a long next 19 games as an SU fan.

I hope Marrone is able to rally the troops. He really would be a good long term solution as HC. For whatever reason he just can't get it done on the field. Maybe he just wasn't ready to be a HC right now. Lots of good HCs fail their first gig (even Belichick and Coughlin). Maybe we were better off getting a short term guy in 2009 and hiring Marrone in 2014 when he was more seasoned. We took a risk in hiring him when we did as he had no experience as a HC and had been out of the college game for 8 years. Even if he fails at SU, I could see him being successful as a HC later on in life.

But let's see how things go before asking him to resign. Honestly I think he needs to get to 4-8 to keep his job this year. If he is as safe as some here like to think, SU would have extended his contract by now. The fact that they haven't means that the firing option is still on the table. The question is what record brings down the hammer.

Since we are SU fans let's root for Marrone to be successful on Friday. A successful Marrone means a successful SU.

Amen to that!

I give him credit for doing #1. He did that very well. He stopped the bleeding for sure. But he has failed to move the program forward from that point. I think people get too hung up on "hey he's not GRob" or "hey he achieved #1" and are not looking forward.

I just dont think its impressive that he is better than GROB. So we went from the most disproportionately bad program in the world to bottom 10%? Anyone who can hold a clipboard could have done that.

He struggles in the big east (both on the field and in recruiting; and notwithstanding OrangePA's silliness about how good the BE is, it sucks lemur balls). Whats going to happen to him in the ACC? Terminating him is a mercy killing for dougie and a saving grace for Syracuse.

We have a small window of opportunity right now. BC sucks. MD sucks. PSU is screwed for the next few years. Rutgers hasnt been invited to the dance. In these next few years we can deliver a knockout blow to every other program in the north east and midatlantic IF we hire a winner. PSU will never recover and we are set for years to come.

We deserve better.

IMO this Pitt game is huge for Marrone's tenure here. It will tell a lot. There really isn't a reason why he shouldn't go 3-1 in the upcoming games. We could win all four but that isn't fair to expect, especially coming off of 0-8. Without Pitt I can't see us pushing for a Bowl and I fear the team will have a loser's mentality the rest of the year. I think it will make for a long next 19 games as an SU fan...

Wonderful post and it's appreciated. The stakes on Friday for Marrone and SU are huge. Very few people's interests are served by a Marrone failure, with some notable exceptions. We need him to win.

We have a small window of opportunity right now. BC sucks. MD sucks. PSU is screwed for the next few years. Rutgers hasnt been invited to the dance. In these next few years we can deliver a knockout blow to every other program in the north east and midatlantic IF we hire a winner. PSU will never recover and we are set for years to come.

Your right on with this.

Marrone's job is to

Excellent post KO. That's a very good take on the situation.

44cuse

Marrone's job is to

I give him credit for doing #1. He did that very well. He stopped the bleeding for sure. But he has failed to move the program forward from that point. I think people get too hung up on "hey he's not GRob" or "hey he achieved #1" and are not looking forward. At some point you need to move on. Those 2002-04 teams were not very good yet the talent they had was better than this year's team. That is kinda scary. Especially RBs and the front 7 on D. It is almost laughable to compare those to what we have now...

I kind of like the steps you've listed (and agree about #1) but don't think #2 applies. First, I would argue that that's not a goal. From #1, I'd like to see us move to #3. 2002-2004 saw 4-8, 6-6, 6-6. It'd be nice to see a more pronounced improvement (in terms of wins and losses) than that. Heck, you could argue that stablizing the program entails getting us to the 2002-2004 level.

Second, it's not worth judging this until the season is through, but I don't see how you can claim he's failed at getting the program to that level. As of when? Last year's 5-7? As of this week?

2002-2004 stunk, for the most part. Mediocre records, too many Louisville/Rutgers/Temple losses, too many blowouts.

Right now we've got a year and a quarter of mediocre records. Let's see where it goes from here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom