Dear Dougie... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dear Dougie...

I kind of like the steps you've listed (and agree about #1) but don't think #2 applies. First, I would argue that that's not a goal. From #1, I'd like to see us move to #3. 2002-2004 saw 4-8, 6-6, 6-6. It'd be nice to see a more pronounced improvement (in terms of wins and losses) than that. Heck, you could argue that stablizing the program entails getting us to the 2002-2004 level.

Second, it's not worth judging this until the season is through, but I don't see how you can claim he's failed at getting the program to that level. As of when? Last year's 5-7? As of this week?

2002-2004 stunk, for the most part. Mediocre records, too many Louisville/Rutgers/Temple losses, too many blowouts.

Right now we've got a year and a quarter of mediocre records. Let's see where it goes from here.
you convienently want to skip #2 because now Syracuse has to.

SU should have been AT LEAST 6-6 LAST year and AT LEAST 6-6 THIS year and he wouldve completed step 2.

but doogie failed at that.

all i got to say is he better Fn beat pitt, and then find a way to at least 3 more wins to keep his job. and a total of 5Ws, shouldnt do the trick IMO.

:noidea:

]

SU should have been ... AT LEAST 6-6 THIS year ...

but doogie failed at that.

:noidea:

Do tell.

It's October and his team has played four games.

This is a McPherson moment. If he resurrects this season he can be a hero. If not...

2002 -- 2004 we went 16-20. I'd say 4-8, 8-5, 5-7 is basically the same thing so #2 has been accomplished. We are a mediocre team like those late "P" teams. The question is not can Doug reach goeals #1 and 2 -- I'd say he has -- but can he really get us over the hump? Early returns aren't promising.

Second, it's not worth judging this until the season is through, but I don't see how you can claim he's failed at getting the program to that level. As of when? Last year's 5-7? As of this week?

I am basing it on expectations and talent.

2002-04 we expected to make a Bowl. Under Marrone we have hoped to make a Bowl. IMO that is a step below.

Talent I think is lacking. Look at those 2002-04 rosters and tell me those teams aren't more talented.

QB- Patterson, RJ Anderson, Nunes
RB- Reyes, Rhodes
WR- Jared Jones, Morant, Riddle, Tyree
OL- Franklin, Greene, Ojinnaka, Tarullo, Terry, Romeo, Sampson
DE- Lacasse, Wyche, Josh Thomas
DT- Jenkins, Ferrara, Gachelin
LB- Mackey, McClain, Kelvin Smith, Scanlon, Clifton Smith
CB- Gregory, TJax
S-Diamond Ferri, Anthony Smith, Keon Walker

Are we really at that level? I don't think so. Especially at RB, DE, and LB.

2002 -- 2004 we went 16-20. I'd say 4-8, 8-5, 5-7 is basically the same thing so #2 has been accomplished. We are a mediocre team like those late "P" teams. The question is not can Doug reach goeals #1 and 2 -- I'd say he has -- but can he really get us over the hump? Early returns aren't promising.

Those years we expected to make a Bowl. Under Marrone we have only hoped to make a Bowl. Not to mention that we had Miami, VT, and BC in the BE vs what we have today. Comparing just on record isn't apples to apples. Back then we expected to win at home even against good teams. Now, we wonder if we can beat mediocre teams like Pitt at home.

I am basing it on expectations and talent.

2002-04 we expected to make a Bowl. Under Marrone we have hoped to make a Bowl. IMO that is a step below.

Talent I think is lacking. Look at those 2002-04 rosters and tell me those teams aren't more talented.

QB- Patterson, RJ Anderson, Nunes
RB- Reyes, Rhodes
WR- Jared Jones, Morant, Riddle, Tyree
OL- Franklin, Greene, Ojinnaka, Tarullo, Terry, Romeo, Sampson
DE- Lacasse, Wyche, Josh Thomas
DT- Jenkins, Ferrara, Gachelin
LB- Mackey, McClain, Kelvin Smith, Scanlon, Clifton Smith
CB- Gregory, TJax
S-Diamond Ferri, Anthony Smith, Keon Walker

Are we really at that level? I don't think so. Especially at RB, DE, and LB.

Regarding expectations, I think we expected to make a bowl back then because we were coming off something like 14 bowl bids in 16 years or something great like that. Most of us had a sense of entitlement and overrated our prospects accordingly.

Regarding talent, I'd say the current era wins at quarterback and receiver. Offensive line, I don't know - I'd like to see our five intended starters play together for a few games before making a judgment. All others, as you say, we're worse. Especially linebacker. Holy cow, imagine what a difference even a middle-of-the-road talent like Rich Scanlon would make this year.

Not sure what point that makes, though. How many full recruiting classes are on this year's team? Three? We weren't going to replenish our talent in fewer than four years. Not an excuse, just a fact.

Regardless, I'd hope and expect that 2012 is closer to 1999-2001 than to the following three years. Flushing away games against the two Big Ten teams has hurt. But I'll feel better addressing this on the 24th of November.

I'd give the first four lines a wholehearted "like," but the last bit is discouraging. No, the result of the first quarter of the season has not been a good one. But there's promise there.

put your right arm up in the air and to your side elbow bent to 90 degrees. Extend your thumb toward yourself and index finger pointed straight up. Now swing and bring your arm around in front of you with your elbow against your chest. Look directly into your hand.

Now you've got a firm feel on what others think of you and your posts. Thank you very much.
Where are you this weekend Mr. L.

BTW is it gonna be Canada or Dubai...an anxious nation waits to know.

I can't be the only one who enjoys Tristan, can i?

And for the record, I wholeheartedly disagree with his position on this issue.
Anyone ever seen Tristan and Kenny from "Kenny's 2 Pennies" at the same time? Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom