Defending the fans | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Defending the fans

I live in GA ... when I was there I had seasons ... at least I showed up during the Robinson era ... which is more than I can say for most ... but hell next time I'll pass up job opportunities so I can stay there and make you happy and provide myself the right to say what I wish about a fan base I witnessed live and in person for 15 years ...
really...have you ever been to a fine lot and tailgated with some serious hardcore fans from this board?

they even came for the robinson era games. now do you want to be the board martyr on attendance?

No, you're talking about the South where Fball is religion. They have nothing else to do but go catch catfish with their bare hands.

What exactly is there to do in Syracuse???... Oh that right... either go to the mall for the 50th consecutive Saturday or stare at the perpetual cloud over Syracuse.

What exactly is there to do in Syracuse???... Oh that right... either go to the mall for the 50th consecutive Saturday or stare at the perpetual cloud over Syracuse.
Winter: Cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snowshoeing, SU basketball, ice fishing, going to the mall
Summer: Wine tours, enjoying the many lakes, 1000 Islands , Adirondacks, running/hiking on trails (e.g. Green Lakes, canal trail, Highland Forest), fishing in the lakes, fishing for salmon in the rivers

Fall: SU football, apple picking, leaf peeping, wineries (again), festivals

Yep because driving 15+ hours one way is a fair expectation, you must not have a job right? ... difference between me and you is I don't have to tell people to ... I can state my case without it ... must be difficult to be so angry ... I haven't had to resort to it ... I have stated my case without calling anyone something explicit or stating anything explicit ... you on the other hand well LOL ... this isn't the first time you offered up the gem LOL ... so you graduated from not getting hugs to not getting attention at home ... I'm sure must work wonders for you everywhere you go :)

If you actually drove the 15+ hours to the games, then I think you have a right to speak at the very least to every fan that doesn't show from inside 15 hours.

But you don't...and how can you speak to the "atmosphere" of the game from watching it on TV. Could you see or tell how much fun we were having...or were you high fiving people on your couch?

If you actually drove the 15+ hours to the games, then I think you have a right to speak at the very least to every fan that doesn't show from inside 15 hours.

But you don't...and how can you speak to the "atmosphere" of the game from watching it on TV. Could you see or tell how much fun we were having...or were you high fiving people on your couch?

All you have to do is read this board ... and again like I said
really...have you ever been to a fine lot and tailgated with some serious hardcore fans from this board?

they even came for the robinson era games. now do you want to be the board martyr on attendance?

I was at the Robinson debacles but you would know that if you read this whole thread ... I didn't join this board till after I moved here because syracuse.com coverage sucks ... didn't realize that one must go to a fine lot tailgate to be a "hardcore fan" ... funny I can't speak about fans inside a 15 hour radius but you guys can call me a non hard core fan because I never tailgated with you in the fine lot .. LOL ... ok sure ... I can buy that logic.

Last edited:

Based on that comment your obviously not local. There are literally half a dozen different types of festivals/events going on every weekend during the fall probably all the way through at least Halloween.

All you have to do is read this board ... and again like I said

I was at the Robinson debacles but you would know that if you read this whole thread ... I didn't join this board till after I moved here because syracuse.com coverage sucks ... didn't realize that one must go to a fine lot tailgate to be a "hardcore fan" ... funny I can't speak about fans inside a 15 hour radius but you guys can call me a non hard core fan because I never tailgated with you in the fine lot .. LOL ... ok sure ... I can buy that logic.

I read this board daily and all I hear about are the disappointing number of people at the games. I can't force people to the games but I can do my best to help create an atmosphere where it is fun...at least in my section.

I had fun and watched my team play, that's all I can ask. I also give tickets away to people or friends that will actually show up. Beyond that, why even complain, change won't happen until the Athletics Dept. of the university decides to change it with pricing structure, promos, giveaways, advertising and other out of the box creative ways to pack the Dome. Control the Controllables, I am in the camp that it is firmly within their control to get people to the dome.

There has to be a way to make every gameday an "event", other schools do.

It seems the University will have to try and rebuild the fanbase from scratch. Starting by getting younger kids involved, the future fanbase. Do a promo where for 5 years they "rollback the prices" to the 80's or something, get people interested then over time gradually raise the prices. If they typically bring in a $500K for a game and get an announced crowd of 36K. Take that $500K of expected revenue and adjust prices so that we can get an announced crowd of 45K. Would rather have a packed dome with the same revenue of future fans and young people than 36K.

Just rambling...sorry.

Last edited:
I read this board daily and all I hear about are the disappointing number of people at the games. I can't force people to the games but I can do my best to help create an atmosphere where it is fun...at least in my section.

I had fun and watched my team play, that's all I can ask. I also give tickets away to people or friends that will actually show up. Beyond that, why even complain, change won't happen until the Athletics Dept. of the university decides to change it with pricing structure, promos, giveaways, advertising and other out of the box creative ways to pack the Dome. Control the Controllables, I am in the camp that it is firmly within their control to get people to the dome.

There has to be a way to make every gameday an "event", other schools do.

It seems the University will have to try and rebuild the fanbase from scratch. Starting by getting younger kids involved, the future fanbase. Do a promo where for 5 years they "rollback the prices" to the 80's or something, get people interested then over time gradually raise the prices. If they typically bring in a $500K for a game and get an announced crowd of 36K. Take that $500K of expected revenue and adjust prices so that we can get an announced crowd of 45K. Would rather have a packed dome with the same revenue of future fans and young people than 36K.

Just rambling...sorry.

Its all good .. I will be there for the GT game and have already made plans to be in the Dome for Pitt this year ... next year I will be at Clemson for sure as well. If time affords a trip to Raleigh would also be on the horizon. If my schedule falls right I will also be in Tallahassee ...

Based on that comment your obviously not local. There are literally half a dozen different types of festivals/events going on every weekend during the fall probably all the way through at least Halloween.

Not from the area (wife is)... I make the trek for every home game... Of which, depending upon game time, I am either gone all day or have to stay-over... Its a shame that the local folks can't tear themselves away from their festivals for a few hours and attend/support their local product

BTW, I've been to Destiny enough to realize this... it's highly doubtful that all the festivals combined reach the attendance mark of a weekend @ Destiny... The mecca of Syracuse

Not from the area (wife is)... I make the trek for every home game... Of which, depending upon game time, I am either gone all day or have to stay-over... Its a shame that the local folks can't tear themselves away from their festivals for a few hours and attend/support their local product

BTW, I've been to Destiny enough to realize this... it's highly doubtful that all the festivals combined reach the attendance mark of a weekend @ Destiny... The mecca of Syracuse
Sounds like you are just a bit resentful over your wife's hometown. I have actually seen it before. Not sure why that happens.

ignorfreakingramus...go ahead and Google the top 10 lake retreat areas in the world. Guess what come up #1?

http://www.zifflaw.com/NYInjuryLawBlog/finger-lakes-named-top-lakeside-retreat

yeah this area really sucks. Just back from 2 weeks in Italy, traveled, lived around the world/country so have some perspective on things. We count on your attitude to keep this place the hidden gem it is.

Sounds like you are just a bit resentful over your wife's hometown. I have actually seen it before. Not sure why that happens.

Ok, Sigmund Freud... BTW, if I was a "bit resentful of my wife's hometown", would I have season tickets to both football & basketball that's played in that hometown?

Also, I know plenty of people who were born and raised in Syracuse... They share in my assessment of the area and their support for the program

ignorfreakingramus...go ahead and Google the top 10 lake retreat areas in the world. Guess what come up #1?

http://www.zifflaw.com/NYInjuryLawBlog/finger-lakes-named-top-lakeside-retreat

yeah this area really sucks. Just back from 2 weeks in Italy, traveled, lived around the world/country so have some perspective on things. We count on your attitude to keep this place the hidden gem it is.

HeyGoogleMaster... I did what you requested and guess what... Didn't get your law firm ad/blog

Got this... http://www.sunset.com/travel/outdoor-adventure/best-lake-vacations-00418000077951/

Guess what... No mention of the Finger Lakes... I guess your secret is safe

BTW, go back through the thread to review the context of my original comment that you replied too

HeyGoogleMaster... I did what you requested and guess what... Didn't get your law firm ad/blog

Got this... http://www.sunset.com/travel/outdoor-adventure/best-lake-vacations-00418000077951/

Guess what... No mention of the Finger Lakes... I guess your secret is safe

BTW, go back through the thread to review the context of my original comment that you replied too
Well Google this, "worlds best lakeside retreats". Number one that comes up and ranked #1 is this area is the original MSN.com weather channel article link that the other link refers to. Things haven't changed...

But keep telling yourself and others how much this area sucks. Keeps the rif raf out...

Well Google this, "worlds best lakeside retreats". Number one that comes up and ranked #1 is this area is the original MSN.com weather channel article link that the other link refers to. Things haven't changed...

But keep telling yourself and others how much this area sucks. Keeps the rif raf out...

Does it keep the "rif raf" out or does it keep them in????

Ok, Sigmund Freud... BTW, if I was a "bit resentful of my wife's hometown", would I have season tickets to both football & basketball that's played in that hometown?

Also, I know plenty of people who were born and raised in Syracuse... They share in my assessment of the area and their support for the program

While I don't agree with your assessment that there is nothing to do in Syracuse, I do agree that it is nothing that should give people the excuse that our attendance is worse here because there is more to do then other towns. I always cringe when people say "Well what else you going to do in name your SEC hometown." That just doesn't fly. Typically the people that are going to be skipping Syracuse home games to go to the Polish Fest downtown or wine tasting down in the Finger Lakes aren't usually college football consumers to begin with. All goes back to other then a small core of hard core fans, the rest of our fan base just sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

While I don't agree with your assessment that there is nothing to do in Syracuse, I do agree that it is nothing that should give people the excuse that our attendance is worse here because there is more to do then other towns. I always cringe when people say "Well what else you going to do in name your SEC hometown." That just doesn't fly. Typically the people that are going to be skipping Syracuse home games to go to the Polish Fest downtown or wine tasting down in the Finger Lakes aren't usually college football consumers to begin with. All goes back to other then a small core of hard core fans, the rest of our fan base just sucks.

-
That's exactly what my original post was referencing... "what else is there to do in SEC country"... It doesn't hold merit... They have the exact same or more local recreational/entertainment options and still find the time to support their programs for a few hours on the weekend

If you think we are drawing fans from other parts of the state in any significant numbers, then you're not going to get anything.

Btw, I asked this before already, where did SU go wrong between the 90's and now?

I think we draw pretty well from UTICA. Need to do better all around. Start winning. Then push hard to cultivate the fan base.

I think we draw pretty well from UTICA. Need to do better all around. Start winning. Then push hard to cultivate the fan base.

I think there's a hundred reasons why attendance has faltered, each unique to segments of individuals. But, since 1990 census reports show metro Syracuse as down nearly 19,000 in population. That's almost 15% of the city. We've lost huge segments of industry, Chrysler, Carrier, NVG, the list goes on. I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of our fan base was cultivated from from those industries.

The point is this, winning will help, unique marketing tactics to continue and try to draw from a 100-mile radius (Rochester, Utica, Watertown) will help. The University being more accommodating to tailgaters and donors will help. We will never sellout an entire home slate. I'd be willing to bet if we were #1 in the country we'd be hard pressed to bring in 38K for an FCS opponent.

Even in Pasqualoni's down years we hovered around 41-42K. By the end of GROB we submarined to 33K and that was inflated.

IMO winning is the biggest factor to get people back. That and marquee no conference games in-house.

She makes you go. She's a great fan.

I think there's a hundred reasons why attendance has faltered, each unique to segments of individuals. But, since 1990 census reports show metro Syracuse as down nearly 19,000 in population. That's almost 15% of the city. We've lost huge segments of industry, Chrysler, Carrier, NVG, the list goes on. I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of our fan base was cultivated from from those industries.

The point is this, winning will help, unique marketing tactics to continue and try to draw from a 100-mile radius (Rochester, Utica, Watertown) will help. The University being more accommodating to tailgaters and donors will help. We will never sellout an entire home slate. I'd be willing to bet if we were #1 in the country we'd be hard pressed to bring in 38K for an FCS opponent.

Even in Pasqualoni's down years we hovered around 41-42K. By the end of GROB we submarined to 33K and that was inflated.

IMO winning is the biggest factor to get people back. That and marquee no conference games in-house.

I would be happy with high 30's low 40's for avg attendance. I'm concerned that the university isn't making any marketing strategies to get fans here. Winning will help but I would like to see what they are going to do about the fan experience. I posted ideas I think would help along with others. I feel like the people are there and with Syracuse being in a new conference, now is the time to make these efforts. We have a new lease on the season at this point and if (when) we win against Clemson we will have some momentum. I understand we may not pull from all over the state but we have a major d 1 program. If you want to go to a big time game and tailgate and do what college football is about than we are it at this point and SU needs to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
I would be happy with high 30's low 40's for avg attendance. I'm concerned that the university isn't making any marketing strategies to get fans here. Winning will help but I would like to see what they are going to do about the fan experience. I posted ideas I think would help along with others. I feel like they people are there and with Syracuse being in a new conference, now is the time to make these efforts. We have a new lease on the season at this point and if (when) we win against Clemson we will have some momentum. I understand we may not pull from all over the state but we have a major d 1 program. If you want to go to a big time game and tailgate and do what college football is about than we are it at this point and SU needs to take advantage of it.

I agree, ride the momentum. I thought I heard a promo this morning for a Steiner collectible for the first 10K against Clemson. I'd rather see this type of promo for a game with less cache as I think Clemson sells itself. But that's one of the first efforts I've heard.

The free student ticket is great, but I don't think tickets are the problem for students. The tickets are pretty much readily available for them. Pep rallies and parties will get students involved. Is there a football house up there? No, bc they were all moved to South Campus correct? I'd like a current students perspective on how the University is pushing the games internally. And I apologize if I've missed it bc I admittedly have not read this entire thread.

Never going to sell out every game. But the goal of 44,000 average is attainable. Yes, I know it is more than we have ever averaged. I still say that should be the goal, and that it can be done.

Never going to sell out every game. But the goal of 44,000 average is attainable. Yes, I know it is more than we have ever averaged. I still say that should be the goal, and that it can be done.
Well, it is not more that we ever averaged. Hmm... just what was it about the 90s?

1987 44,490
1988 46,081
1989 48,885
1990 47,022
1991 43,444
1992 49,318
1993 48,092
1994 47,746
1995 43,276
1996 48,177
1997 45,865
1998 47,898
1999 46,741
2000 43,062
2001 41,103
2002 42,259
2003 41,167
2004 43,647
2005 40,252

Well, it is not more that we ever averaged. Hmm... just what was it about the 90s?

1987 44,490
1988 46,081
1989 48,885
1990 47,022
1991 43,444
1992 49,318
1993 48,092
1994 47,746
1995 43,276
1996 48,177
1997 45,865
1998 47,898
1999 46,741
2000 43,062
2001 41,103
2002 42,259
2003 41,167
2004 43,647
2005 40,252

McPherson, Graves, and McNabb. Good QBs that could win the game for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom