Defending the read option | Syracusefan.com

Defending the read option

florange44

Scout Team
Watching the northwestern highlights in the Eskridge thread, reminded me of one of my pet peeves. Why do our DEs bite on the fake handoff every time and leave the QB free on the edge? Is this by design? If so, it's not working and we should change. Seems to me you'd be better to have the DE play the qb and leave the rb to the linebackers and safety. Can one of the coaches on the board explain the intricacies to us wanna-bes?

Thanks
Florange44

Any option play has man responsibility. DE, OLB, and Safety need to know them, and not peek into the backfield. If you think your team mate needs help in their assignment you're going to cheat towards his guy and look foolish when you miss your own.

The easy way to defense it is to hit every option every play but the refs won't let you. If you blow up the qb when he doesn't have the ball you're going to get flagged. I'm a defense guy so I hate that. If a guy has the ball or at all pretends to have the ball he should be fair game. That goes for play action passes as well as when qbs hand off and fake like they're dropping to pass but if you're reading the OL properly you know who has the ball.

DE in most defenses are taught to read the block of the OT or whatever OL they are shaded outside. If the OT blocks down or onto a LB the DE is taught to close down the line of scrimmage. If the QB makes the correct read he should keep the ball every single time. There are variations (blitzes, twists, etc...) in every defense, but in the base defense the DE should be closing down the LOS and therefore showing the QB the "keep" read.

I have coached against option teams in the past (both spread and the more traditional triple) to varying degrees of success. When breaking down the film of the opponent, my coaching staff and I would determine which player was the biggest threat and we didn't want carrying the ball, whether it was the QB, FB, or HB. For only that week we would change our defensive keys to ensure the weakest (or who we thought was the weakest) player would be carrying the ball more frequently.

This strategy worked on multiple occasions, however in some games the other coaches would see what we were doing and adjust their play calling. For example if our DE was coming straight up-field because we wanted the QB to give the DE is very susceptible to a trap or kick-out block.

The bottom line is that the read option is fairly easy to understand, but the good teams have other plays in their playbook that they can easily go to if/when a team sells out to stop the option.