Defense Question | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Defense Question

You can be sure they know what the problems are, including poor tackling.

It was bad angles in pursuit. It was not holding the edge by either LBs, DEs or CBs. SOMEBODY'S gotta do it. And lots and lots of missed tackles.

Yeah that was the biggest negative change I saw, I was used to our defenders in years past running through tackles. Duce was known for sticking tackles like that. And collectively it looked like vs Ohio in the first half in particular, most of our team forgot how to consistently do that. Really unusual. I'm hoping they just came out flat and had some stage fright or something along those lines.

'Running through tackles'. Great phrase. That's it, right there.

It was bad angles in pursuit. It was not holding the edge by either LBs, DEs or CBs. SOMEBODY'S gotta do it. And lots and lots of missed tackles.
Yeah the more I’ve read the board and rewatched the film, I’m convinced we were playing the back 7 further back than we traditionally have to prevent long pass plays over the top, which combined with the front 4 not containing as expected led to a lot of the lunging we saw. Plus to compound it I think at time guys were out of position due to this being a new defense in a live game for the first time etc.

I expect improved defense, and better execution from the OL, after all that was a first game with new everything. The question is how much, and who wins turnovers. The home advantage is ours. I think it is a close game that we win by a field goal to a touch.
I think the one thing we need to be careful about is not over-correcting the defense. It seemed like we had the back 7 back to prevent going over the top in the first game, we definitely need to compress that, but if we compress it too much, GT's QB is perfectly capable of lighting us up deep. So what we don't want to do is fix a problem (long runs) only to create another problem (long passes).

I think the one thing we need to be careful about is not over-correcting the defense. It seemed like we had the back 7 back to prevent going over the top in the first game, we definitely need to compress that, but if we compress it too much, GT's QB is perfectly capable of lighting us up deep. So what we don't want to do is fix a problem (long runs) only to create another problem (long passes).

Their QB is ok, not great, as a passer. Their run game is the far bigger threat.

GT is not a juggernaut.

GT has to stop us more so than we need to stop them.

We’ll be fine. They don’t have a poor man’s Derrick Henry like Ohio.

FSU is a team imploding. GSU is terrible.

We’ll be fine.

GT is not a juggernaut.

GT has to stop us more so than we need to stop them.

We’ll be fine. They don’t have a poor man’s Derrick Henry like Ohio.

FSU is a team imploding. GSU is terrible.

We’ll be fine.

Fair points; they have to stop us.
But Ohio showed the blueprint. They used up the entire quarter with 2 drives, while we had a 3 and out. If you want to take that away, you have to get ahead by a score or two.

It is, but I wouldn't underestimate their QB. He led the ACC in TD passes last year.

Unless I'm mixing up my guys, I thought he had about 16 interceptions last year. Kind of like a Dungy guy - decent, not great passer.

This has been a fun thread to read with a ton of great insights. This whole forum has been a blast since Fran came on board.

No need to rehash much and as a fan and never someone whose played the sport ( played different sports) a few things that stand out amidst just looking at GT alone from a defensive lens.

If we improve defensively I think we win. The arguments for why we should at least be a little better make sense even if it’s not a large margin.

Statistically GT has 1 sack and 1 turnover created over two games against a flailing conference foe and a middle of the road Sun Belt school.

GT didn’t do a good job getting to the QB so far this year which is on par with how they were last year with this staff similar situation on turnovers too.

Anyways conclusion to me is that GT hasn’t shown they have improved all that much defensively over two games against QBs much weaker than McCord. Slowing them down enough with an improved effort on D paired with an offense that has a game under their belt, plus playing in a packed Dome and I like our chances.

Fair points; they have to stop us.
But Ohio showed the blueprint. They used up the entire quarter with 2 drives, while we had a 3 and out. If you want to take that away, you have to get ahead by a score or two.

I’m not sure Ohio did. Ohio showed us more in terms of getting better than that tape shows GT how to beat us. The GT coach mentioned 1 game a lot in his PC and I think that is an important point.

Yeah the more I’ve read the board and rewatched the film, I’m convinced we were playing the back 7 further back than we traditionally have to prevent long pass plays over the top, which combined with the front 4 not containing as expected led to a lot of the lunging we saw. Plus to compound it I think at time guys were out of position due to this being a new defense in a live game for the first time etc.
I agree with you. When our LBs and WRs were in pressed up goal line coverage we did MUCH better. Given that’s a whole different situation, but still we were able to disrupt their offense much better.

Just tackle the ever living crap out of the opponent. Drive through them and wrap. It's not rocketship science.

Against GT getting deep penetration might not work out best.

You have a dual threat qb and a solid RB

It would be wise to hold the line and not over pursue and keep contain on the QB
On quick thought that sounds good but then you are sacrificing pressure on qb which makes us more 1 demensional on D unless we can disguise blitzes well.
Make him pass is what that does and maybe that is wise.
Im pumped to watch this game play out!

*After rewatching the game it was very clear what CFB said by taking another step...when we had a player clean making a play on the dude with the ball they lunged and dove...if they took one more step theyd be in position to hit, wrap up and take down.
one . more . step. . .
That simple
Thats why its not a myth to see most improvement from week 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Other than that Mrs Lincoln…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom