Defense Question | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Defense Question

A touchdown they stole from us with that uncalled hands to the face.

It would at minimum been off setting.

If you watch Washington pulls the guy to the ground. They’re going to call that every single time

One things for sure - we are going to need to get penetration in their backfield to disrupt things and so that he doesn’t get up a head of steam. They did a great job of that at the goal line.

Against GT getting deep penetration might not work out best.

You have a dual threat qb and a solid RB

It would be wise to hold the line and not over pursue and keep contain on the QB

It was bad. Completely surprising actually. Ain't no way bad angles were tolerated at Georgia.

Hopefully Fran is on top of it. Hopefully it's just a symptom of weeding out Dinos players. But, concerned that multiple players did the same thing multiple times and that being evidence of the coaches somehow overlooking this finer point of the game.
Issue is it was 100% tolerated at A&M… picking up a Jimbo asst coach is like buying a used BMW. Could be a dream, or could be a maintenance nightmare.

It would be wise to hold the line and not over pursue and keep contain on the QB
Yep, maybe we need to do a little of both, agree. Mix it up.

Edit: I don’t have a ton of confidence yet in our ability to hold the line yet. Agree that is the best plan of attack if we can do a good job of it. But if we aren’t doing that very well, we will need to mix it up to try to keep them as off balance as possible.

Last edited:
Issue is it was 100% tolerated at A&M… picking up a Jimbo asst coach is like buying a used BMW. Could be a dream, or could be a maintenance nightmare.
Crazy if true. I didn't pay attention to TAMU, so don't know. We'll soon find out.

I think we'll see a lot of Heard just spying King to try and prevent the big scrambles and QB runs, and make them try to beat us over the top.

It would at minimum been off setting.

If you watch Washington pulls the guy to the ground. They’re going to call that every single time
I kinda sorta think that happened because he was losing his balance due to someone's hands being pushed up into his jaw for 10 seconds without a call.

I think we'll see a lot of Heard just spying King to try and prevent the big scrambles and QB runs, and make them try to beat us over the top.
I think that's exactly what we need to see.

I think when players try tackling bigger opponents like the OU back their mentallity is they feel like in order to bring him down they need to do it extra forcefully so they launch themselves. This also prevents them from looking weak if they collide with the player, wrap and are and not able to bring them down immediately. They then get drug a bit looking silly. So they hope the launch gets them down. But when you do this you leave your feet early giving them time to evade the tackle. Additionally when launching most players lower their head so they don't see what is going on. So if you miss its a big play for the offense. Players should still run through them and wrap. Yeah, sometimes you may still get drug for 3-5 yards until the rest of the gang tacklers arrives. It may make you look a bit weaker than the RB but they don't break free for massive runs this way.
That or they stop their feet and that is the hardest thing to teach any kid and all the coaches on here know it. Driving your feet thru tackles and throwing arms thru man sometimes gets forgotten eventhough its practiced a ton. The best tacklers drive right thru guys just like a rb tries to do.

Fundamental tackling is something the D needs to review. You can't hit hard without knowing how to position your body and the aiming points of the runner/wr you are going to tackle.

Get low. Proper tackling form involves getting low and keeping a roughly 45 degree angle with your back, which should be straight because your shoulders are back. Squat with your feet still shoulder width apart and bring your hands up into what is sometimes called the "Breakdown" position, your basic tackling form.

1. you are looking for the near foot and near shoulder of the person you are tackling

2. Approach the ball carrier, chop feet, aiming point is the inside hip and lower trunk. Engage ball carrier with shoulder pads (same foot, same shoulder), and head up. Tackle through the ball carrier, do not stop feet. Grab cloth and finish the tackle keeping your head up

3. Tackle/ explode through the body feet constantly moving which will lift the ball carrier of his feet and take him to the ground
thats very hard for some guys. toughest thing to teach a high schooler is keeping feet moving.

because that take was 100% fabricated
Consider the source...he's got a PHD in BS. It's one of those deals where every once in a while I click on show ignored content, am quickly reminded why I ignored the content, and go back to ignoring the content :D

Last edited:
Consider the source...he's got a PHD in BS. It's one of those deals where every once in a while I click on show ignored content, am quickly reminded why ignored the content, and go back to ignoring the content :D
Like a moth to a flame...

I don’t recall him getting any DT snaps

Almost certain he didn't play. Saw him on the sideline ready to go, but never in the game. It was Tank/Jobity and then Perry/Watson.

Hastings' name was mentioned once on a tackle, but it wasn't him.

Almost certain he didn't play. Saw him on the sideline ready to go, but never in the game. It was Tank/Jobity and then Perry/Watson.

Hastings' name was mentioned once on a tackle, but it wasn't him.
Yeah he had no stats. Starting to wonder if him and Nwokocha are redshirting...

Didn't realize that Haynes was a Texas A&M guy before he transferred to GT. I wonder if that gives an advantage to either team. He may be familiar with the 4-2-5 that we run and has probably practiced against it at A&M, but ERob may also have a pretty good understanding of Haynes strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah he had no stats. Starting to wonder if him and Nwokocha are redshirting...
Pretty sure I saw Hastings in the game on that big run at the end of the 1st half. He got pancaked pretty bad

we are going to need to get penetration in their backfield

giggety.gif

Pretty sure I saw Hastings in the game on that big run at the end of the 1st half. He got pancaked pretty bad
Yeah I was looking at film again of the game and couldn’t find him. Maybe he’s further down in the pecking order than we thought.

It was bad. Completely surprising actually. Ain't no way bad angles were tolerated at Georgia.

Hopefully Fran is on top of it. Hopefully it's just a symptom of weeding out Dinos players. But, concerned that multiple players did the same thing multiple times and that being evidence of the coaches somehow overlooking this finer point of the game.
Why would you have to weed out Dino’s players?

Didn't realize that Haynes was a Texas A&M guy before he transferred to GT. I wonder if that gives an advantage to either team. He may be familiar with the 4-2-5 that we run and has probably practiced against it at A&M, but ERob may also have a pretty good understanding of Haynes strengths and weaknesses.
Haynes was a 5 star and was a track star in HS as well. The kid has the chops he is one hell of a football player. Ive been posting that GT was going to be possibly our toughest test. Getting them at home really helps. We need to step on the gas and possibly throw it 50 times

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom