Defense real problem | Syracusefan.com

Defense real problem

GoSU96

Living Legend
40 yd + busts. 4 runs, 6 passes for 350 yds. 25% of yds allowed on 3% of plays.

SU is 124th out of 134 teams. You are going to give up some, this is way too many, tighten that up and then this can be a good defense.

189 of NCSts 411 yds was on 3 plays.

It wasn’t the reason for the Stanford loss, but it’s a reason UNLV and GT were close games.

40 yd + busts. 4 runs, 6 passes for 350 yds. 25% of yds allowed on 3% of plays.

SU is 124th out of 134 teams. You are going to give up some, this is way too many, tighten that up and then this can be a good defense.

189 of NCSts 411 yds was on 3 plays.

It wasn’t the reason for the Stanford loss, but it’s a reason UNLV and GT were close games.

Almost 100 of their yards were BS.

This defense is going to give up big plays. I've accepted this. Runners getting to the second level and past too often, defenders out of position and taking terrible angles, failure to wrap up and tackle, way too much time for the QB. I remain on the sidelines relative to our DC. We're going to have to rely upon the offense this year.

Lack of speed.
Some was lack of tackling. That one right up the middle we had one of our best tacklers (Cinco) miss a gimme. The other long play the guy took 3 steps out of bounds.

The good thing is we aren't close to our ceiling. I think we are there offensively, but defensively there are things we can tighten up and getting someone like Wax back will certainly help. We are graded as some of the worst ST's in the country. I don't see those improving. We need a total reset there.

3 Rush, zone ect is because our DC knows that we are flawed. Simply put, we can't run an aggressive D . We need to play the long game, hope for penalties, mistakes, and the occasional play.
Our DC gets it, is smart, and knows his role is to let Kyle and the O win.
Keep the other team under 30.

3 Rush, zone ect is because our DC knows that we are flawed. Simply put, we can't run an aggressive D . We need to play the long game, hope for penalties, mistakes, and the occasional play.
Agree, Conception’s long catch was on all out blitz, same with Holy Cross’ first TD. The other six I’d have to look at.

I think a problem, maybe not the real problem, is they'd rather hit than tackle. Nobody is
as bad as Xavier Worthy on that INT Monday when he tried shouldering the DLs arm,
granted he's like half the dude's size, but stop trying to show off a great hit and stop the
ballcarrier.

Kev

Who said anything about SU relying on penalties? NCSt is the team that relied on bogus calls. Fact.
what made them BS then? The plays happened. The illegal touching wasn’t some fluke play, the CB blew the assignment and let his man run right by him

The out of bounds obviously was a bad call. But the coverage was still blown really bad. We should have been bailed out but still.

I still see the secondary as the weak point.

106th in opponents ypp

56th last year

102nd in 19-20

Just horrendous stuff. Offense is going to have to be perfect the 2nd half of the season or it could be another collapse.

Both calls were BS and benefitted NCSt almost 100 yards and 11 pts. Fact.
But they weren’t the reason why the play happened. There was no reason for him to be so wide open. Cover him and you don’t need the refs to bail you out

We lack elite speed on the back end and don't have a consistent pass rush to mask it. That said hats off to DC Elijah for fixing our run defense after the Ohio game. Presume every concession we're making now has been done to assure we don't just steam rolled on the ground every game

106th in opponents ypp

56th last year

102nd in 19-20

Just horrendous stuff. Offense is going to have to be perfect the 2nd half of the season or it could be another collapse.

Teams we've played offensive ypp rank:

Ohio 38
GT 25
Stanford 131 (out of 134)
UNLV 27
NC St 77

Teams we are still to face rank:

Pitt 24
VT 57
BC 104
Cal 82
UConn 63
Miami 2

Based on this super scientific method I'd say losses to Pitt and Miami and wins over BC and Cal with VT and UConn as coin flips.

But they weren’t the reason why the play happened. There was no reason for him to be so wide open. Cover him and you don’t need the refs to bail you out

But it was ok for the refs to bail out NCSt. Got it.

106th in opponents ypp

56th last year

102nd in 19-20

I explained why that is, take out those ten plays, which isn’t realistic, and the defense is excellent If they were cut in half this would be a top 40 defense. 10 plays are skewing the numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom