Delany... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Delany...

It was very simple for the Big XII. The only teams another conference would want are Texas and Oklahoma. They got the SEC and B1G to go along with a rule change that allows them to put the two teams with the best records into their championship game because the Big XII’s implosion wouldn’t do anything for the SEC and the B1G. If the ACC imploded, however, ...

The B1G and PAC-12 May be more amenable to a rule change now.

I agree on the Big Ten, but the PAC with 12 teams and only one true King, which is a King that is not consistent, might keep divisions as they are. The changed rule is fine for the B12 and PAC as they are now. It's the Big Ten and the ACC that need the rule change the most.

Cheers,
Neil

Three divisions will not necessarily get the two best teams into the CCG, which is what is causing this rethink by the Big Ten. A 3-5-5 scheduling model does. Which is what is best for the ACC since we already have an 8-game schedule. Is the Big Ten contemplating going back to an 8-game conference schedule? Or will the Big Ten add a 15th school and go 3-6-6? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Neil

Duh, 3-6-6 won't work with 15 so it's either 8 conference games or expanding to 16 with a 3-6-6 schedule.

4-5-5 works with 15 teams.

I agree on the Big Ten, but the PAC with 12 teams and only one true King, which is a King that is not consistent, might keep divisions as they are. The changed rule is fine for the B12 and PAC as they are now. It's the Big Ten and the ACC that need the rule change the most.

Cheers,
Neil

P12 could do 7-2-2

You play 3 teams every year.
Then you play 5 of the other 10 teams in conference home/home in years 1 and 2.
Then you play the other 5 teams home/home in years 3 and 4.

Thus you play all 13 teams in 4 years home/home and your 3 rivalry games are protected each year.

Top 2 records play for the conference title.
Gonna need you to devise tiebreakers.

The Pac-12 is fine.
They do a 5-2-1-1 right now.
The California schools play every year.
Then they play 2 games against the 4 schools.

The Arizona and Mountain schools play each of the Oregon and Washington schools six times in the eight-year cycle.

I would use the CFB playoff rankings as the first tiebreaker.
Then record against the top ranked team like they use in basketball.

Divisions are arbitrary and stupid. Line up 1-14, play 8 games, and let the top 2 finishers play in the conference championship game.

I like the idea of having 3 permanent opponents and rotating the rest. That doesn’t necessitate divisions though.
The way the part of the NCAA rule about championship games that applies to everyone except the Big XII is structured at this moment, in order to have a championship game, you must have two divisions of equal size and only the division winners can play in the championship game. No conference can use 3-5-5 or just pick two teams to play without violating NCAA rules and getting sanctions put against at least one of the teams for playing too many games and a massive fine against the conference HQ. There probably are at least 24 votes against 3-5-5 if it comes up for a vote again (the SEC and Big XII), but now the B1G may be more favorably disposed to it because thatOSU got burned for not playing a tough opponent.

It is very difficult to find any fan who opposes going to 3-5-5 once it’s explained to them.

I would use the CFB playoff rankings as the first tiebreaker.
Then record against the top ranked team like they use in basketball.
The first tiebreaker always has to be head-to-head results. An obvious and objective measure based on what happened on the field can’t be ignored.

The first tiebreaker always has to be head-to-head results. An obvious and objective measure based on what happened on the field can’t be ignored.
I meant if the teams didn’t play.
Obviously if the teams played head to head would apply.

Cuse BC Pitt VaTech Virginia
Duke Wake UNC NC State Clemson
Ville GaTech Miami FSU ND

I love this idea of pods and 1 division and the only thing, well other than it being a pee contest, is who gets to play at a Florida school as frequently as possible for the northern schools.

I don't see being in a pod with all NE teams being a good thing for us. We need Va Tech, NC state or Miami or even a Florida St. Otherwise year after year, the narrative will be that we are in the weakest pod.

I don't see being in a pod with all NE teams being a good thing for us. We need Va Tech, NC state or Miami or even a Florida St. Otherwise year after year, the narrative will be that we are in the weakest pod.
Pods are just to protect rivalry games.
Teams need to just win and that will take care of any concerns. An undefeated P5 team is going to be top 4.

We are poised to be the Florida state of our pod

The most common pod structure involves ND’s joining the ACC and Navy as #16. You play everyone in your pod and your horizontal line + 1 other pod each year.

Clemson. FSU. Miami. ND
Ga Tech. Louisville. Va Tech. UVa
Duke. NC State. Wake. UNC
Pitt. BC. Syracuse. Navy

Of corse, the software eats all my work, but I hope you catch the drift. :(

Feinstein was killing Navy in the American, ACC is too big a bite.

Feinstein was killing Navy in the American, ACC is too big a bite.
I know. The main reason Navy keeps getting mentioned is that they would play ND every year as they do now, but it becomes a conference game and ND doesn't have to juggle its OOC/in-conference schedule. Everyone always says, "The 16th team will be whoever ND wants." Maybe they wouldn't have a preference. What then?

The way the part of the NCAA rule about championship games that applies to everyone except the Big XII is structured at this moment, in order to have a championship game, you must have two divisions of equal size and only the division winners can play in the championship game. No conference can use 3-5-5 or just pick two teams to play without violating NCAA rules and getting sanctions put against at least one of the teams for playing too many games and a massive fine against the conference HQ. There probably are at least 24 votes against 3-5-5 if it comes up for a vote again (the SEC and Big XII), but now the B1G may be more favorably disposed to it because thatOSU got burned for not playing a tough opponent.

It is very difficult to find any fan who opposes going to 3-5-5 once it’s explained to them.

So what is the consensus as to why the NCAA granted an exception to the Big 12? What makes that conference so special? In reality it should not even exist anymore. Bevo is wanting it both ways. They are entitled brats ala ND but they know going it alone is a scary proposition in this landscape. The Longhorn network is a colossal failure. ESPN is taking a beating on that deal.

So what is the consensus as to why the NCAA granted an exception to the Big 12? What makes that conference so special? In reality it should not even exist anymore. Bevo is wanting it both ways. They are entitled brats ala ND but they know going it alone is a scary proposition in this landscape. The Longhorn network is a colossal failure. ESPN is taking a beating on that deal.
NCAA Hq in India-noplace didn't give the Big XII an exemption, the P5 conferences voted to change the rule on championship games within the P5 to allow the Big XII to have a championship game. The B1G, Big XII, and SEC schools then unamimously voted down the proposal which would have allowed 3-5-5 scheduling with a championship game between the two best teams.

The whole sequence is built on the idea that the ACC would implode at any second and those three would get to pick over what they wanted from the remains. Well, it's finally starting to sink in that the ACC isn't going to implode. The B1G got burned this year by the division rule, so they may start coming around to accepting 3-5-5. Penn State would love to have 3-5-5 because it would probably mean only having to play one of thatOSU and Meeshigan each year instead of both of them. (I think PSU would have Meeshigan State (for the Land Grant Trophy!), Maryland, and Rutgers for its 3 permanents.)

Mentioning about just picking the top two a Big Teams for the conference championship game.

Hmmm...no divisional champs? Would that open the door for ACC to go to 3 divisions?

I would have no problem with going to one large division with the two top teams playing for the ACC Championship.

NCAA Hq in India-noplace didn't give the Big XII an exemption, the P5 conferences voted to change the rule on championship games within the P5 to allow the Big XII to have a championship game. The B1G, Big XII, and SEC schools then unamimously voted down the proposal which would have allowed 3-5-5 scheduling with a championship game between the two best teams.

The whole sequence is built on the idea that the ACC would implode at any second and those three would get to pick over what they wanted from the remains. Well, it's finally starting to sink in that the ACC isn't going to implode. The B1G got burned this year by the division rule, so they may start coming around to accepting 3-5-5. Penn State would love to have 3-5-5 because it would probably mean only having to play one of thatOSU and Meeshigan each year instead of both of them. (I think PSU would have Meeshigan State (for the Land Grant Trophy!), Maryland, and Rutgers for its 3 permanents.)

Ya know, the longer I hang around you Hoo’s the more I like you. You are an intelligent fan base with only occasional lapses into irrational behavior. Much like our own! :p

4-5-5 works with 15 teams.

If the ACC were to agree to go to a 9 game conference schedule, which is doubtful considering the SEC-ACC rivalry games, your concept of three divisions still wouldn't guarantee the two best teams would make the championship game because of the fact that the two best teams could be in the same division. But with 15 teams one could develop a 4-5-5 or a 2-6-6 scheduling model (if the league were to remain at 8 conference games) in which the two highest ranked teams at the end of the regular season were placed into the CCG.

There simply is no need for divisions, but it would remain an option for a league like the PAC, since a 12-team league with divisions is probably best. Once beyond 12 no divisions in the way to go.

Cheers,
Neil

Aren't there already tie-breakers in place for divisions? No divisions doesn't create a new need for them.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom