Deliverance and WVU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Deliverance and WVU

If there's a next time they could fiddle to Country Eyed Joe instead.

People really need to learn the definition of "racist"/"racism". It's definitely not being used properly with regard to this issue.

If there's a next time they could fiddle to Country Eyed Joe instead.

People really need to learn the definition of "racist"/"racism". It's definitely not being used properly with regard to this issue.
the West Virginia folk think we being racist. I think they are being whiney, inbred,backwoods, banjo playing, white lightning drinking,sister marrying, toothless crybabies.

I obviously know that. It was sarcasm and a shot at the fact that between 86-90% of applicants are admitted.

Geez, what kind of an idiot do you have to be to get rejected from there?

the West Virginia folk think we being racist. I think they are being whiney, inbred,backwoods, banjo playing, white lightning drinking,sister marrying, toothless crybabies.

Racist? Since when did 'redneck' become a race?

It's a shame we gave their fans something to complain about, so some can focus on this instead of the humiliating ass-kicking on the field. Plus, it was lame.

I couldn't hear it over the buzz of the crowd, for all I knew it was an Iron Maiden tribute.

There's an issue of in-group/out-group bias that makes this different. My perception is that everyone in the academies at some level identifies with each other (in-group), which means the videos you showed are clearly in a different context. I don't think of WVU as having anything in common with us, and what little there might have been no long exists with us moving to the ACC.

In-group/out-group bias - it's why you can call your sister names, but when some other dude at school says the exact same thing you either kick his ass or want to. And why we should have had more class than to play to stereotype with the dueling banjos skit.

But we are all in the happy dysfunctional family called "The Big East" :D

Some in a thread on their board considers it racist.

I'm interested to know how exactly that can even remotely be tied to racism. Being a redneck isn't a race.

Larry the cable guy loves being a redneck.Really don't know how/why its racist.You would have to ask the inbreds to the south.

Larry the cable guy loves being a redneck.Really don't know how/why its racist.You would have to ask the inbreds to the south.

You ever take a ride out in the stix of NY? Go down to Tioga County, NY. I can introduce you to some actual real-life inbreds. It is certainly not limited to just WV or the south. I think every native upstater from outside of a metro area will agree.

Plus, have you seen some of those southern girls? Can you really blame them?

You ever take a ride out in the stix of NY? Go down to Tioga County, NY. I can introduce you to some actual real-life inbreds. It is certainly not limited to just WV or the south. I think every native upstater from outside of a metro area will agree.

Plus, have you seen some of those southern girls? Can you really blame them?
last part was a joke. i was born and raised in cny and i think we are some of the biggest redneckes around.

I'm interested to know how exactly that can even remotely be tied to racism. Being a redneck isn't a race.

Exactly- and to suggest it even comes close to what racism has meant throughout history is ridiculous.
All thats left is the incessant yapping...-sigh-

racist.jpg

It was probably a bad idea to do it, since (1) you just know that people are going to complain, and (2) it's not really all that clever or funny, and thus not really worth the aggravation.

So theoretically I'm sympathetic to the WVU folks... but... like others have said... their mascot is a backwoods mountain man wearing a coonskin cap! Short of using Cleetus the Slack-Jawed Yokel as a mascot, aren't they kind of inviting this kind of fun-poking from opponents?

And piling on to Mark's academy stuff, the stereotypical, institutionally-sanctioned insults thrown back and forth between rivals like Texas and Texas A&M make our Orange playing a cardboard banjo look like a Sesame Street sketch.

Wow, immensely stupid. Having a coonskin hat clad rifle bearing mountaineer as a mascot or bearing the name West Virginia Mountaineers does not equate to West Virginia embracing being referred to as hillbillies who sleep with their sisters. The mountaineer was chosen as a symbol for two reasons:
1. The spirit of the frontier survivor living off the land -- think Davy Crockett.
2. The West Virginia Civil War troops were referred to as the Mountaineers and typically fought more of a guerilla-style on even land with rifles rather than the traditional level-field lined up style of warfare common to other areas of the country. They were freedom fighters, literally fighting with the North for the freedom of slaves and for that, they were rewarded with the creation of the State of West Virginia.

As such, the Mountaineer is felt by West Virginians to be a frontiersman and fighter for freedom. Somehow, the Mountaineer is seen on this board as a symbol of ignorance.

It makes one wonder why West Virginia, which chose to fight for the freedom of slaves as part of the industrial and equality-embracing North, then deemed the civilized part of the commonwealth of Virginia, ended up being seen as the backward, non-progressive former part of the old commonwealth, while Virginia is not viewed that way.

Wow, immensely stupid.
No. Different opinion than you, not stupid. Oh Lord

I had no idea that since West Virginians fought in the Civil War that you couldn't poke fun at them. Good thing no other state fought in the Civil War, otherwise we would have no one to poke fun at. Oh, wait...

Wow, immensely stupid. Having a coonskin hat clad rifle bearing mountaineer as a mascot or bearing the name West Virginia Mountaineers does not equate to West Virginia embracing being referred to as hillbillies who sleep with their sisters. The mountaineer was chosen as a symbol for two reasons:
1. The spirit of the frontier survivor living off the land -- think Davy Crockett.
2. The West Virginia Civil War troops were referred to as the Mountaineers and typically fought more of a guerilla-style on even land with rifles rather than the traditional level-field lined up style of warfare common to other areas of the country. They were freedom fighters, literally fighting with the North for the freedom of slaves and for that, they were rewarded with the creation of the State of West Virginia.

As such, the Mountaineer is felt by West Virginians to be a frontiersman and fighter for freedom. Somehow, the Mountaineer is seen on this board as a symbol of ignorance.

It makes one wonder why West Virginia, which chose to fight for the freedom of slaves as part of the industrial and equality-embracing North, then deemed the civilized part of the commonwealth of Virginia, ended up being seen as the backward, non-progressive former part of the old commonwealth, while Virginia is not viewed that way.

I hate to break it to you, but fans who go around burning couches set themselves up for being seen as a symbol of ignorance. ;)

In other words they mostly bring it upon themselves. If they don't want to own up to the stereotype their own mascot brings to the table and their own fans actions back up, then they should do everything in their power at least not to add to it.

They don't. It's as simple as that. Any true critical thinking on this topic would lead to the same conclusion.

It's their image problem. They need to right the ship and not count on others to do it for them while so many of them continue to embrace said image. Once they show they are serious about fighting said image, others will join them. But it is up to them to LEAD it, not others.

And I'm as PC as they come. But, imho, you have been totally over the top in this thread.

Cheers,
Neil

This is much ado about nothing. Hell, we had our public address announcer fired at one point over this stuff. Here is an excerpt from an article originally on msnsports regarding the Backyard Brawl...

"Things began to get weird even before the game started when Pitt’s witty public address announcer Don Ireland tossed out a few barbs to the West Virginia fans in between his scheduled reads.

After one message he added, “The owner of a tractor with West Virginia license plate number E-I-E-I-O please report to the parking lot – your lights are on.”

Later he expanded on Pitt Stadium’s smoking policy by ad-libbing, “Fans are not permitted to smoke inside Pitt Stadium – that includes cigarettes, cigars and corncob pipes.”

Many West Virginians thought his spiel was hilarious, except of course those that owned tractors and actually used corncob pipes."

Also, "Dualing Banjos" was released 17 years prior to the movie "Deliverance", so any usage of that particular song does not necessarily have anything to do with West Virginia, White Water Rafting, or Ned Beatty squeeling...

If you played "Ride of the Valkyries" over the loud speaker, are you making fun of Napalming the Vietnamese? Because that song was in "Apocalypse Now"...

If you played "Danger Zone" over the loud speaker, are you making fun of gays? Cause it's prevalent in "Top Gun"...