Derrick Coleman was much skinnier than McCullough | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman was much skinnier than McCullough

Dcuse

All Conference
as a freshman. DC tore the rim to shreds his first year. Chris's problem is not as much physical strength as mental strength. Can that change? I have no idea

Chris does have physical and mental strength problems. He doesn't finish strong and he gets knocked around a lot. He is not even in the same solar system as freshman DC as a player or rebounder.

Freshman Chris needs to ask his fellow big man how Freshman Rak transformed himself into Senior Rak.

stuckinbig11 said:
Freshman Chris needs to ask his fellow big man how Freshman Rak transformed himself into Senior Rak.

Hard work.

Rak told everyone he was done after his freshman year. There was no doubt.

Then he found out he wasn't as good as he thought.

Four years later...

Derrick Coleman was a bad ass MOFO...and THAT is the secret of his domination as a freshman. The mean streets of Detroit. He never took crap and dished it out like no one else. He oozed confidence and backed it up. GMac had those same balls of brass.

Derrick Coleman was a bad ass MOFO...and THAT is the secret of his domination as a freshman. The mean streets of Detroit. He never took crap and dished it out like no one else. He oozed confidence and backed it up. GMac had those same balls of brass.

I remember when he blocked a Brian Shorter DUNK(2 handed if I recall) at the end of the game which was a 1 point lead if I recall correctly. Syracuse used to have studs who made heroic plays like that more often than in a long time. I'm not sure if I see that in McCullough in 3 years or quite possibly ever. Nothing against the kid or his future, but a DC comparison is unfair to him even if he has a better NBA career for various reasons.

plus DC had natural strength. I don't know CMcC at all but I was in Yash's when DC beat the living tar out of Fred DeRiggi (who I had seen (and kinda helped sometimes) in more than a couple of bar fights prior.) I don't think Chris could literally palm Fred's head and put him down like that. Hell, until I saw DC do it the only other person on the hill I could even remotely see doing something like that to Fred was Mark Kerr.

after that night, wherever DC went, the crowds parted like Moses at the Red Sea.

plus DC had natural strength. I don't know CMcC at all but I was in Yash's when DC beat the living tar out of Fred DeRiggi (who I had seen (and kinda helped sometimes) in more than a couple of bar fights prior.) I don't think Chris could literally palm Fred's head and put him down like that. Hell, until I saw DC do it the only other person on the hill I could even remotely see doing something like that to Fred was Mark Kerr.

after that night, wherever DC went, the crowds parted like Moses at the Red Sea.

Anyone that was stupid enough to mess with a 6-10 PF from Detroit is someone I might not have wanted to be hanging out with. ;)

Anyone that was stupid enough to mess with a 6-10 PF from Detroit is someone I might not have wanted to be hanging out with. ;)

Fred was a funny dude, started on the D line and had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

DC wasn't a freshman when it happened, not that it matters, I don't think CMcC would be able to take down a Fred type in 2-3 years either. Fred had a neck the size of my waist. I don't have a small waist.

as a freshman. DC tore the rim to shreds his first year. Chris's problem is not as much physical strength as mental strength. Can that change? I have no idea

CMac is from NYC and is probably pretty tough. I think he needs just a little more time in the weight room. He looks like an NBA talent to me. I would be very surprised if he were not one and done.

Even though I am sometimes against violence, I had to give this a like because it mentioned Bernie Fine, one of the handful of things I generally automatically give likes for. Brower had a decent body blow in there too. If Coleman was skinny, it was likley because Brower was taking the food off of his tray when he wasn't looking.

The game has changed. In the 80's 6'10'' guys were expected to be mauler and control the paint downlow. Now with the three point line, everyone plays on the perimter. CMAC's skills are closer to a 2/3 than they are a 4/5 on offense.

For a guy with really long arms Coleman was able to keep a tighter action on his punch than what we often see from bball players. He avoided the big long sweeping roundhouse punch and opted for a very nice kind of overhand downward motion which looks like it would really hurt if landed. For a bball player I give him very high marks in technique.

I remember when he blocked a Brian Shorter DUNK(2 handed if I recall) at the end of the game which was a 1 point lead if I recall correctly. Syracuse used to have studs who made heroic plays like that more often than in a long time. I'm not sure if I see that in McCullough in 3 years or quite possibly ever. Nothing against the kid or his future, but a DC comparison is unfair to him even if he has a better NBA career for various reasons.

That has revisionist history written all over it, no offense. And is flat out wrong.

i don't know where you can find it but The Smashing Machine was a crazy documentary about Kerr

DC is a top 3 player all time at SU and maybe the toughest kid we ever had. Very few, if any incoming recruits, will measure up to his greatness.

In the words of Dick Vitale DC as a freshman was a 'diaper dandy' and throughout his entire career he was a 'PTPr' (prime time performer baby!)

81South said:
DC is a top 3 player all time at SU and maybe the toughest kid we ever had. Very few, if any incoming recruits, will measure up to his greatness. In the words of Dick Vitale DC as a freshman was a 'diaper dandy' and throughout his entire career he was a 'PTPr' (prime time performer baby!)

Coleman averaged 12 points and 9 rebounds as a freshman.

on a team that was 10x better than this current squad. DC on this squad is 20-10 guy easy. Comparing DC to Chris is like comparing Melo to Donte Green an insult to comparisons.

Yep Coleman in todays NCAA's even as a freshman would dominate. The funny thing about Greene is that ever since he left he has looked better and better the more forwards we brought in. He would kill it on this team as the 4 next to G. Imagine the space Rak would have with Cooney, Mike and Donte out there not to mention Kaleb being able to drive whenever he wanted.

Jonny and Donte were two highly touted recruits that lived up to the billing IMO.

DC did not have a polished offensive game as a freshman by any stretch of the imagination. He was a rebounding machine though - best weak side rebounder ever imo, and scored a ton off put backs and taps.

on a team that was 10x better than this current squad. DC on this squad is 20-10 guy easy. Comparing DC to Chris is like comparing Melo to Donte Green an insult to comparisons.

Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom