Derrick coleman | Syracusefan.com

Derrick coleman

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Just wondering how he pays his way to syracuse games around the country when he filed for bankrupcy a few years ago and owed people so much money?

Four responses. 1) He made $93 million or something; don't think he is really penniless. 2) He does radio shows all the time.... at Big East, NCAA, etc; there may be some renumeration there; 3) It is great to see him at all these games; he is always so cheerful and positive; does pix with anyone who wants them; 4) Glad to see him at all these games; he is one of us (and maybe the biggest one of us).

Antoine Walker made and lost a similar amount and he's making 20K a year in Boise.

I would think that DC gets a pretty solid pension though.

He is a close friend of Dave Bing. I think we know Dave understands how to handle finances.

Did he declare personal bankruptcy or did he have corporations that went bankrupt?

Did he declare personal bankruptcy or did he have corporations that went bankrupt?

As I recall he had money in real estate back in Detroit as part of a downtown renewal project. The thing went south when the bubble burst.

Four responses. 1) He made $93 million or something; don't think he is really penniless. 2) He does radio shows all the time.... at Big East, NCAA, etc; there may be some renumeration there; 3) It is great to see him at all these games; he is always so cheerful and positive; does pix with anyone who wants them; 4) Glad to see him at all these games; he is one of us (and maybe the biggest one of us).

He is a great guy. If SU isn't already paying him, they should pay him to be the team's biggest cheerleader that he is. He is a fan favorite and certainly one of the most recognizable amongst Orange fans. Had a great talk with him in Pitt.

He also has congestive heart failure, although he is not IN congestive heart failure. This has nothing to do with bankruptcy - although I know people bankrupted by medical bills - but speaks to the irony that his heart is sick while year after year he shows the biggest heart in all the land for our program. Considering where he came from, I believe Boeheim might have literally saved his life. And he has uplifted ours. Who doesn't love to see him on the sidelines? (Do you remember the game in 2010 when he became so excited he ran out on the court during a TO to "coach" the big men?)

Thank you, Derrick!

His radio gig pays for a lot of the travel and hotels.

He is the ultimate cuse promoter. I am more than glad to see him at every game. i got to shake his hand before the wiscy game. He was willing to take any pics and shake everybodys hands, all with a huge smile on his face.

He is a great guy. If SU isn't already paying him, they should pay him to be the team's biggest cheerleader that he is. He is a fan favorite and certainly one of the most recognizable amongst Orange fans. Had a great talk with him in Pitt.

If SU is creating a job to pay someone to go to the games and cheer for the team, I would like to submit my resume.

I know he has a local commercial... I would imagine he still has popularity in Detroit as well.

Im all for creating a job just to get him on our sidelines. I saw him at the Wisconsin game and he literally talked with fans and took pictures for as long as it took for everyone to meet him. Great guy.

He even travelled to RU when we clinched a bowl berth. He is SU's "dude".

Im all for creating a job just to get him on our sidelines. I saw him at the Wisconsin game and he literally talked with fans and took pictures for as long as it took for everyone to meet him. Great guy.

He sat about two rows ahead of us, on the opposite side of the aisle [my father and I were seated at the end of the row, across from DC]. He got bombarded by people before, during, and after the Wisconsin game for photos, people just wanting to shake his hand, etc.

My father said something to him about it during a TV timeout, how it must be tough for him to have to sign autographs, pose for pictures, etc. the whole game. DC said with a smile, "it's part of the job."

Great to see him at games--he is so enthusiastic--guy bleeds orange.

DC cheerfully posed for a pic with my ten-year-old daughter before the Kansas State game.

He's also been doing some local commercials in Syracuse.

He's one of the few athletes who had financial problems because he tried to revitalize his hometown of Detroit by investing in the community there. He was one of the first NBA athletes to have donated money to Katrina and sent down truckloads of materials etc right after that disaster. He helped start the NBA coalition to aid Katrina victims. As we all know it was shortly after that, the real estate bubble burst. He's got a very big heart and doesn't advertise it. At a Hardwood Club dinner the year Watkins, Roberts etc were playing, Derrick was honored and brought his family. He gave the best speech ever, it was a very emotional tribute to JB, the program, the university and its fans that I ever heard (or heard since). He literally thanked JB and was extremely emotional saying that looking at his friends from his youth in Detroit and what he learned at SU - he knows that the only reason he's alive is because he came here and that it literally saved his life. It was amazing to listen to this "tough guy" break down speaking of his devotion and loyalty to JB and SU.

What was just as heart warming was after the dinner as I was walking out I saw Jean Daugherty, the playlady, all by herself sitting in the atrium outside the ballroom as everyone was leaving. She was alone with her crazy orange hat on and big smile as the crowd passed by. I asked her if she needed a ride and she said she was waiting for her ride home. So I sat and talked with her while she waited and the place emptied out. Later, the guest of honor walked by- Derrick Coleman with his family where a limo waited outside the doors. I said hello as he headed for the exit doors. He then took the time to turn around, stop and chat with myself and Ms Daugherty while I knew his family sat outside in the vehicle (like my poor husband but not in a limo -lol). No one was around - it wasn't done for accolades, we were the only ones there besides employees and a few people rummaging around back in the ballroom. I only became an even bigger DC fan after that - before it was for his talent and play on the court while at SU - after that it was for much more important reasons.

Just wondering how he pays his way to syracuse games around the country when he filed for bankrupcy a few years ago and owed people so much money?

Don't confuse "bankrupt" with having "no money".

44cuse

He's one of the few athletes who had financial problems because he tried to revitalize his hometown of Detroit by investing in the community there. He was the first NBA athletes to have donated money to Katrina and sent down truckloads of materials etc right after that disaster. He helped start the NBA coalition to aid Katrina victims. As we all know it was shortly after that, the real estate bubble burst. He's got a very big heart and doesn't advertise it. At a Hardwood Club dinner the year Watkins, Roberts etc were playing, Derrick was honored and brought his family. He gave the best speech ever, it was a very emotional tribute to JB, the program, the university and its fans that I ever heard (or heard since). He literally thanked JB and was extremely emotional saying that looking at his friends from his youth in Detroit and what he learned at SU - he knows that the only reason he's alive is because he came here and that it literally saved his life. It was amazing to listen to this "tough guy" break down speaking of his devotion and loyalty to JB and SU.

What was just as heart warming was after the dinner as I was walking out I saw Jean Daugherty, the playlady, all by herself sitting in the atrium outside the ballroom as everyone was leaving. She was alone with her crazy orange hat on and big smile as the crowd passed by. I asked her if she needed a ride and she said she was waiting for her ride home. So I sat and talked with her while she waited and the place emptied out. Later, the guest of honor walked by- Derrick Coleman with his family where a limo waited outside the doors. I said hello as he headed for the exit doors. He then took the time to turn around, stop and chat with myself and Ms Daugherty while I knew his family sat outside in the vehicle (like my poor husband but not in a limo -lol). No one was around - it wasn't done for accolades, we were the only ones there besides employees and a few people rummaging around back in the ballroom. I only became an even bigger DC fan after that - before it was for his talent and play on the court while at SU - after that it was for much more important reasons.

That's an incredible story and beautifully told. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...an-is-almost-5-million-in-debt?urn=nba,233379

he also has an nba pension which according to my amateur math will pay him $51,408 a year once he turns 50, in about 5 years. ($304 for every month played in the nba. i based it on 14 years, although he played 5 games in his 15th year so it may be slightly higher.)

he could also take the money starting this year (age 45) but would only get $34,273 per year (2/3 of full pension).

I would assume that he still has other means of income outside of his radio show as well. I wouldnt be too surprised if he is somehow on SU's payroll.

He literally thanked JB and was extremely emotional saying that looking at his friends from his youth in Detroit and what he learned at SU - he knows that the only reason he's alive is because he came here and that it literally saved his life. It was amazing to listen to this "tough guy" break down speaking of his devotion and loyalty to JB and SU.

Thank you so much for this post, Cheriehoop! So, what I surmised (JB saved his life) is actually what Derrick thinks! When one's heart is full of gratitude, good things always happen.

Every time I see DC on tv at a Syracuse game, it truly brings a smile to my face.

He literally thanked JB and was extremely emotional saying that looking at his friends from his youth in Detroit and what he learned at SU - he knows that the only reason he's alive is because he came here and that it literally saved his life. It was amazing to listen to this "tough guy" break down speaking of his devotion and loyalty to JB and SU.

Thank you so much for this post, Cheriehoop! So, what I surmised (JB saved his life) is actually what Derrick thinks! When one's heart is full of gratitude, good things always happen.

You are right. He actually said it. He knew he was heading for real trouble and was a handful while he was here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom