Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

Sounds likely... What a nerlens/Davis this kids going ti be.
I hope not, but the early signs are there. Parental involvement is obviously not always a bad thing, and quite often is essential in the process, but when the father is the one doing interviews, it is usually a bad sign.

I hope not, but the early signs are there. Parental involvement is obviously not always a bad thing, and quite often is essential in the process, but when the father is the one doing interviews, it is usually a bad sign.
Im angry... Im turning green.

As much as I hate being looked at as like a second option or plan B for a lot of these kids to UK, in all honesty I can't blame them. I mean they're 15-17 year old impressionable kids who see the non-stop media hype, drake LeBron jay-z hanging around the program, their commits almost always go in the first round (even tho theyd all probably be first rounders if they went elsewhere), WWW hooks them all up, and their facilities are insane. Also they know they can join up with a bunch of the best kids in their class and have their own little dream team with their buddies. It's just the nature of the beast right now as long as the NCAA lets UK run wild. ESPN, Nike, and probably a few other moving parts are making too much money off the UK machine right now for anybody to do anything about it. I mean Lance Armstrong didn't get busted until Nike was done with him even tho everybody said he'd been cheating for years.

Now if kids were saying I'm waiting on UNC, Duke, Kansas, or Indiana then I'd be a little annoyed because the last few years we've been just as strong a program or better than those guys. Will be fun when we have the chance to knock off UNC and Duke every year to prove to the country that we belong in that category when it comes to modern top tier programs. Indiana wont be nearly as good as they were this year for awhile.

These parents look at their kids as their get rich quick scheme; or their version of the "powerball." It is hard to compete when all these families see is Kentucky hype all over ESPN. I don't blame the kids or the parents. I just get tired of listening to the slobbering noises from all the so called announcers when they talk Kentucky. I have heard less slobbering at a kerihani(sp?), a turkish brothel.

Derrick: "I really love Syracuse, dad."
Father: "Son, don't ruin this for me."

I am just kidding, mostly. I am just sick of the parents using the kid's talent to get a paycheck. It may not be the case for Derrick, but it has that feel.

That really sounds like the dad letting Cal know that Derrick really likes Syracuse, so if he wants his son, he better pony up soon.
Pops is like "yo Cal send WWW to the crib and we'll talk business" lol.
piles-of-cash.jpg

Roll out them bank rolls baby.

Pops is like "yo Cal send WWW to the crib and we'll talk business" lol.
View attachment 3284
Roll out them bank rolls baby.
Dean, you mean "Uncle Wes". They met at the place down near the thing years ago, and have been tight ever since. He is going to be stopping by later with some late Christmas gifts.

As much as I hate being looked at as like a second option or plan B for a lot of these kids to UK, in all honesty I can't blame them. I mean they're 15-17 year old impressionable kids who see the non-stop media hype, drake LeBron jay-z hanging around the program, their commits almost always go in the first round (even tho theyd all probably be first rounders if they went elsewhere), WWW hooks them all up, and their facilities are insane. Also they know they can join up with a bunch of the best kids in their class and have their own little dream team with their buddies. It's just the nature of the beast right now as long as the NCAA lets UK run wild. ESPN, Nike, and probably a few other moving parts are making too much money off the UK machine right now for anybody to do anything about it. I mean Lance Armstrong didn't get busted until Nike was done with him even tho everybody said he'd been cheating for years.

Now if kids were saying I'm waiting on UNC, Duke, Kansas, or Indiana then I'd be a little annoyed because the last few years we've been just as strong a program or better than those guys. Will be fun when we have the chance to knock off UNC and Duke every year to prove to the country that we belong in that category when it comes to modern top tier programs. Indiana wont be nearly as good as they were this year for awhile.
I hear you on that. Just sucks that a program can work hard on recruiting a kid for the longest, only to see UK and WWW swoop in the last minute and all of a sudden close the deal. Cal never has to worry about identifying prospects early because he knows he has the resources to get whoever he wants at any time no matter the cost

I think it is inappropriate and counter-productive to have posts on this forum saying or implying that a given recruit's parents are looking for a payday. Save the sour grapes until the kid actually goes elsewhere.

What. The whole thing with UK is just sick. The odds are Jones will blow up this summer and get the UK offer. I full on believe we won't end up with Jones's after that. I've never wanted to see a program die more then I do with UK. I've never had hate towards a program before, dislike...yes, but never hated.

It looks like SU is starting to carve out a niche for two and dones. The Fab, Dion, MCW thing. I think a lot of kids can see themselves as that stand out player among the good program kids.

If we are going to start having that niche we are going to be looking at kids whose goal is the NBA. There will be the problem of many of these recruits preferring the lure of the one and done to the two and done. The staff is going to have to be very active because of the easy poaching of this talent by Cal.

So while we will be exposed to the danger of losing this top talent the flip side is this model should provide a more stable operation. Because if something unexpected happens you would have real talent in the wings to step up. And in the last few years this has seemed to be the case (UK has shown wild swings whereas SU has been steady).

http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2013/05/we-r1-delaware-vs-city-new-york-2013.html
Full game of Derrick Jones. He's #24 in white. Had him charted with 14pts, 4rbs, 3stls, 1-3 FT, 1-3 3PT. He only played about 18-20 minutes because his team pulled away late. Here goes some quick positive n negative thoughts.

Positives
Long and athletic in the typical SU wing build.
Pretty much automatic inside when he gets good position and has good hands.
Has good anticipation for steals and deflections due to his length. So just imagine him in the zone.
Gets good elevation and has a nice release on his shot, but it's looks a little inconsistent at this point.

Negatives
Needs to get stronger, as he gets moved around easily when a body gets put on him.
Didn't attack the boards as much as I expected. Seemed more willing to watch his teammates grab the boards than him getting after it.
Not really a negative but I didn't get to see him off the bounce much, as his guards did most of the ball handling.

Overall
With still two more years to go in HS. Jones presents plenty of upside to become an elite player in his class once his body fills out and he improves his overall game. Right now his game is a mixture between SF/PF, with the PF portion currently standing out. He looks to be making the transition to developing his SF skills. Once he does that and becomes a true inside/out threat, then skies the limit as far as his full b-ball potential is concerned.

Athletic freak Wes Johnson? Even though Wes was already an athletic freak?
God, I love this kid's game.

I think it is inappropriate and counter-productive to have posts on this forum saying or implying that a given recruit's parents are looking for a payday. Save the sour grapes until the kid actually goes elsewhere.
Apparently you weren't around for the Julius Hodge recruitment then.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/derrick-jones-going-from-team-usa-to-mary-kline-classic/
D. Jones update.

Derrick is a little more guarded on his passion for Syracuse, even though he says Orange assistant Gerry McNamara is recruiting him the hardest among all his suitors.
“I mean, I like the school [Syracuse] but I’m so young I don’t know what school I’m going to go to right now,” he said. “I’m still a sophomore so I still have three years to decide.”

Good to see that GMac is putting in some recruiting work on high level talent, because we can't always rely on Hop n Red to do the heavy pulling.

On a side note, it's incredible the manner in which the mix tapes for these kids have evolved over the past 5 years or so. I remember when they were primitive, poorly edited, and didn't really do a whole lot to showcase a players talent. Now, they are well produced slick, polished components of a sophisticated marketing program to transform these young naive kids into commodities which generate big bucks for all who can latch on to their wagon as they try to make their way to the big show of the NBA.

I suppose it is what it is and it was once difficult to get any information on the up and coming underclassmen in High School. You'd have to buy a magazine and hope that some of the kids had some type of connection to your program. I guess one of the advantages is that there is so much exposure for these kids that you end up being familiar with kids who end up playing for other programs and that just enriches the viewing experience of the college game.

It's also nice being a Syracuse fan since you know that the team that is going to be put out on the floor is going to be very competitive and especially recently, is going to have kids with big time talent who are fun to watch. I think this year is going to be one of the most exciting to watch ever since we will be new to the ACC and have so many new talented players who will be lacing them up for the Orange. The following year is going to be one to really fasten your seat belt because I think we are going to march to a NC!

It looks like SU is starting to carve out a niche for two and dones. The Fab, Dion, MCW thing. I think a lot of kids can see themselves as that stand out player among the good program kids.

If we are going to start having that niche we are going to be looking at kids whose goal is the NBA. There will be the problem of many of these recruits preferring the lure of the one and done to the two and done. The staff is going to have to be very active because of the easy poaching of this talent by Cal.

So while we will be exposed to the danger of losing this top talent the flip side is this model should provide a more stable operation. Because if something unexpected happens you would have real talent in the wings to step up. And in the last few years this has seemed to be the case (UK has shown wild swings whereas SU has been steady).
That's a good point. First of all, we aren't going to bankroll kids -- so we're never going to "compete" in the WWW sweepstakes. Second, if a kid has no interest whatsoever in attending class and is simply looking for a pass-through to showcase their skilz, then I'd suggest the UK/UCLA route.

For the recruits that have talent and don't mind waiting a couple years for their payday (while they learn something), there are some great programs out there ... SU's one of the best of those. There may not be a bag of cash waiting on the doorstep ... but the kid will have 2-3 years to go to a real college and develop as person and player. And the program will benefit because of the continuity.