Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

Going to UCONN. They're going to have a nice class too when all is said and done.

Thomas "Highlander" Bryant (as in there can only be one).
Now, you do realize what his initials stand for, yeah? Although we might have used this for Roberson, TB spells
The
Beast

Boom!

Now, you do realize what his initials stand for, yeah? Although we might have used this for Roberson, TB spells
The
Beast

Boom!
Like your post , but there is only one beast, the original DC filled that bill nicely, the 4 years he was here.

His dad is pretty positive about UCONN. BTW - this was not a UCONN reporter, but a national one

“Right now with everybody so far, it’s the ‘2’ and the ‘3’. Some want him to play some ‘1’, ‘2’, and ‘3’,” Jones Sr. said. “With UConn, it could be anywhere, ‘cause that’s how they like to play; they like to be able to shift you in and out. So Derrick could go from, depending on where he’s playing, from the small forward to running the point.

“He definitely gets out in transition and he definitely plays well in transition, but he also has been getting real strong in the halfcourt set as well,” he continued. “I think he can adapt to any one of the systems. It’s really up to him where he wants to go, but I think he can adapt to any environment that you put him in.”

While he can fit in almost anywhere basketball-wise, there are other factors that will influence Jones’ eventual decision. Primarily, the allure of big-time college basketball is something that appeals to him.

“He definitely likes the big crowd and the big stage. He’d definitely like to be televised of course,” Jones Sr. said. “The systems that they run, he likes UConn ‘cause of the way they get out and play; they’ll run that fast break or they’ll get in the half court set and play if they have to. Really, at the end of the day, I’m looking at is as ‘Who’s gonna fit him the best?’ He likes the national stage, he likes the attention, he likes those things.”

Now that he has cut his list, Jones is still not looking to make a decision anytime soon.

He has yet to visit most of the schools on his list. UConn will be conducting an in-home visit on September 11, and Jones Sr. is hoping more schools reach out to do the same. However, Jones will wait until after the high school season to take his official visits and ultimately make his decision.

sdhusky said:
His dad is pretty positive about UCONN. BTW - this was not a UCONN reporter, but a national one

“Right now with everybody so far, it’s the ‘2’ and the ‘3’. Some want him to play some ‘1’, ‘2’, and ‘3’,” Jones Sr. said. “With UConn, it could be anywhere, ‘cause that’s how they like to play; they like to be able to shift you in and out. So Derrick could go from, depending on where he’s playing, from the small forward to running the point.

“He definitely gets out in transition and he definitely plays well in transition, but he also has been getting real strong in the halfcourt set as well,” he continued. “I think he can adapt to any one of the systems. It’s really up to him where he wants to go, but I think he can adapt to any environment that you put him in.”

While he can fit in almost anywhere basketball-wise, there are other factors that will influence Jones’ eventual decision. Primarily, the allure of big-time college basketball is something that appeals to him.

“He definitely likes the big crowd and the big stage. He’d definitely like to be televised of course,” Jones Sr. said. “The systems that they run, he likes UConn ‘cause of the way they get out and play; they’ll run that fast break or they’ll get in the half court set and play if they have to. Really, at the end of the day, I’m looking at is as ‘Who’s gonna fit him the best?’ He likes the national stage, he likes the attention, he likes those things.”

Now that he has cut his list, Jones is still not looking to make a decision anytime soon.

He has yet to visit most of the schools on his list. UConn will be conducting an in-home visit on September 11, and Jones Sr. is hoping more schools reach out to do the same. However, Jones will wait until after the high school season to take his official visits and ultimately make his decision.

OMG, I hope he plays point guard for you guys.

sdhusky said:
His dad is pretty positive about UCONN. BTW - this was not a UCONN reporter, but a national one “Right now with everybody so far, it’s the ‘2’ and the ‘3’. Some want him to play some ‘1’, ‘2’, and ‘3’,” Jones Sr. said. “With UConn, it could be anywhere, ‘cause that’s how they like to play; they like to be able to shift you in and out. So Derrick could go from, depending on where he’s playing, from the small forward to running the point. “He definitely gets out in transition and he definitely plays well in transition, but he also has been getting real strong in the halfcourt set as well,” he continued. “I think he can adapt to any one of the systems. It’s really up to him where he wants to go, but I think he can adapt to any environment that you put him in.” While he can fit in almost anywhere basketball-wise, there are other factors that will influence Jones’ eventual decision. Primarily, the allure of big-time college basketball is something that appeals to him. “He definitely likes the big crowd and the big stage. He’d definitely like to be televised of course,” Jones Sr. said. “The systems that they run, he likes UConn ‘cause of the way they get out and play; they’ll run that fast break or they’ll get in the half court set and play if they have to. Really, at the end of the day, I’m looking at is as ‘Who’s gonna fit him the best?’ He likes the national stage, he likes the attention, he likes those things.” Now that he has cut his list, Jones is still not looking to make a decision anytime soon. He has yet to visit most of the schools on his list. UConn will be conducting an in-home visit on September 11, and Jones Sr. is hoping more schools reach out to do the same. However, Jones will wait until after the high school season to take his official visits and ultimately make his decision.

He's not coming to SU so we could care less.

I think Jalen Adams is coming in with more talent than Kemba or Shabazz. We'll see if he develops as well.
I don't like UConn, but I kind of don't mind Ollie. However, if he is telling Jones that he can play some point guard, he is nuts. The kid can jump out of the gym, but he isn't even a 2.

sdhusky said:
Sorry. The 14 page pages of comments threw me off. I get it now.

That was before he announced his final 8 clown. Get lost.

our probation helped build UConn's program i think I remember it sending Donyell Marshall their way. I will be interested to see how Ollie does with his own players if he sticks around that long?

So, sometimes we don't get a kid that we think would be great to have. So it goes. As far as highly talented prospects... the trees are full of them. Some you get some you don't. At the end of the day, equally important is the dynamic of the team that you do assemble from those kids you can convince to come play for your program. With what seems like a tweaking of emphasis by JB and the staff, we have some kids coming who will fill in the missing element we've had recently... SCORERS. If we can field a team that can play defensively on par with some of the recent teams but have the ability to put points up on the board, that is what is going to propel us to another national championship. Perhaps not this coming year, and they could surprise us, but the following year we will certainly be in the mix IMHO. So, along the line of not giving a flying alley oop about Jones going elsewhere, I offer up one of my Cuse Basketball Limericks:

There's many top prospects, only a few that you land
Some you think "done deal" who slip through your hand
With JB and Gmac, Red Autry and Hop
we all know the next class will be near the top!
Jones may go elsewhere and we all can profess
that now he has spoken we couldn't care less!
If he plays us at some point he'll sweat real profuse
Cuz we'll have Malachi rainin' treys for the Cuse!
So stop by the board here and hear a big THUD!
That's the sound of us landing another big STUD!
We've lined up some ballers who soon will be here
with a Dome full of Orange fans with reason to cheer!
So don't fret when we lose one from some future class
The team that we field then will big time kick a$$!

So, sometimes we don't get a kid that we think would be great to have. So it goes. As far as highly talented prospects... the trees are full of them. Some you get some you don't. At the end of the day, equally important is the dynamic of the team that you do assemble from those kids you can convince to come play for your program. With what seems like a tweaking of emphasis by JB and the staff, we have some kids coming who will fill in the missing element we've had recently... SCORERS. If we can field a team that can play defensively on par with some of the recent teams but have the ability to put points up on the board, that is what is going to propel us to another national championship. Perhaps not this coming year, and they could surprise us, but the following year we will certainly be in the mix IMHO. So, along the line of not giving a flying alley oop about Jones going elsewhere, I offer up one of my Cuse Basketball Limericks:

There's many top prospects, only a few that you land
Some you think "done deal" who slip through your hand
With JB and Gmac, Red Autry and Hop
we all know the next class will be near the top!
Jones may go elsewhere and we all can profess
that now he has spoken we couldn't care less!
If he plays us at some point he'll sweat real profuse
Cuz we'll have Malachi rainin' treys for the Cuse!
So stop by the board here and hear a big THUD!
That's the sound of us landing another big STUD!
We've lined up some ballers who soon will be here
with a Dome full of Orange fans with reason to cheer!
So don't fret when we lose one from some future class
The team that we field then will big time kick a$$!
This is a thing of beauty my friend!

our probation helped build UConn's program i think I remember it sending Donyell Marshall their way. I will be interested to see how Ollie does with his own players if he sticks around that long?

Yeah. It was Donyell who Calhoun closed on while the car dealer thing was happening.

But, getting Donyell or not would have had little to no impact on UCONN. Once Calhoun showed up (and stayed) our ascension was assured. So, unless you make the case that getting Donyell kept Calhoun in Storrs, I think it wouldn't have matter much. And Calhoun turned Donyell in a great player.

When Calhoun took over UCONN, they were the worst program in the BE.

In his 1st year, they went 9-19.

In his second year, they won the NIT.

His third season, he tied for 1st in the BE, won the BET, got a #1 seed and lost to a last second shot by Laettner to stop them from getting to the FF.

This team was mostly CT kids and a Israeli player. It wasn't a down year for the BE. Georgetown has Mourning and Syracuse had Coleman.

Yeah. It was Donyell who Calhoun closed on while the car dealer thing was happening.

But, getting Donyell or not would have had little to no impact on UCONN. Once Calhoun showed up (and stayed) our ascension was assured. So, unless you make the case that getting Donyell kept Calhoun in Storrs, I think it wouldn't have matter much. And Calhoun turned Donyell in a great player.

When Calhoun took over UCONN, they were the worst program in the BE.

In his 1st year, they went 9-19.

In his second year, they won the NIT.

His third season, he tied for 1st in the BE, won the BET, got a #1 seed and lost to a last second shot by Laettner to stop them from getting to the FF.

This team was mostly CT kids and a Israeli player. It wasn't a down year for the BE. Georgetown has Mourning and Syracuse had Coleman.
your right one player would not of mattered but I think having Cuse not be the stud recruit school after probation helped UConn immensely. I would much rather be in the Cuses shoes going forward in all sports than UConn.