Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

Staff expected him to commit after the Elite Camp last year. The Jones camp got cute and decided to drag things out and Lydon ended up taking his spot. Worked out better for SU imho.

UNLV could end up with a really solid class if they can convince Zimmerman to stay home, especially if Skal pops to UK today.

UNLV could end up with a really solid class if they can convince Zimmerman to stay home, especially if Skal pops to UK today.
UNLV has recruited very well over the past few years. Too bad Dave Rice is a sucky coach. Dude had Elite 8 talent a few years ago but the team had a low level D2 ball IQ.

I don't care how petty it sounds, I am happy this kid spurned uconn to go to unlv.

Yesterday was a pretty bad day. They guy that I think UConn really wanted - Mack - picked VCU over us. I don't think many thought Jones would be at UConn. I don't know if Ollie's change priority first or if he changed priorities after Jones let him know where we stood.

I pretty happy with our recruiting this year, however. Getting Diamond Stone would make another NC one step closer.

Jones had a pretty good game in the State final last night that his AB Carroll team lost to Neumann-Goretti (Scoop and Rick's school). Jones had 30 points 18 boards and five blocks in the 69-67 loss. Unfortunately, he couldn't hit a free throw to save his life. I think he was 4 of 14 from the free throw line. Hack a Shack territory.

It was Neumann's second straight title and fifth in six years.

SU caught a break not getting Jones

Just ruled ineligible after NCAA found out his ACT score was fake

SU caught a break not getting Jones

Just ruled ineligible after NCAA found out his ACT score was fake
NCAA are clowns for clearing him in the first place. How does it take this long to find out that his ACT score was canceled? "Canceled" was the wording used in the UNLV press release about the situation.

Is the argument not that he did something wrong, but that he shouldn't have been caught? It doesn't sound to me like they target all minorities, but there was something about this particular place that he took the test that made them focus on the individuals that took the test at that location.

Is the argument not that he did something wrong, but that he shouldn't have been caught? It doesn't sound to me like they target all minorities, but there was something about this particular place that he took the test that made them focus on the individuals that took the test at that location.
The way I interpreted it was the score was questioned long after the fact, and he's doing well in his college classes. Of course I don't know what he's taking in college but it just seems like an overreach on the NCAAs part

The way I interpreted it was the score was questioned long after the fact, and he's doing well in his college classes. Of course I don't know what he's taking in college but it just seems like an overreach on the NCAAs part
Okay so the testing agency is invalidating a test score from a testing site authorized by the testing agency, apparently at no fault or proof the athlete did anything wrong. The NCAA is using this invalidation to make him ineligible even though he is doing well in his college courses. Does anyone else think this is insane and unfair? Is not the supposed purpose of testing scores to insure athletes are capable of college work, which he is already doing?
Glad SU not involved, but this just seems so unfair and biased against this athlete

Okay so the testing agency is invalidating a test score from a testing site authorized by the testing agency, apparently at no fault or proof the athlete did anything wrong. The NCAA is using this invalidation to make him ineligible even though he is doing well in his college courses. Does anyone else think this is insane and unfair? Is not the supposed purpose of testing scores to insure athletes are capable of college work, which he is already doing?
Glad SU not involved, but this just seems so unfair and biased against this athlete
Not only do I think it is unfair and stinks of bias, I'm not convinced he cheated.

Not only do I think it is unfair and stinks of bias, I'm not convinced he cheated.
I tend to agree. It was his first and only time taking the test. If he is doing well in his college courses, no matter what they are, it would lead you to believe that he is of reasonable intelligence. And, wouldn't someone of reasonable intelligence at least take the test once without cheating and only resort to cheating if he/she found that the test was too hard for him/her to pass?

The morons at the NCAA wouldn't know what a statistical anomaly is if it hit them in the face. Don't know if anyone cheated or who cheated so we must invalidate all scores. So the innocent are punished not knowing if anyone is guilty...just a statistical anomaly. And those in charge at ACT go along without any proof? Could be some 6 figure lawsuits on the horizon.