Class of 2019 - Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler

Your off on this one moqui...our system is not that difficult for a center anchoring our zone to learn and regardless of who we have on our roster next year, the 5 is a MAJOR weak spot that needs to be addressed. Learning to play in the system we use is not rocket science like you make it seem. This kids skill set would open up so much space for our shooters they wouldnt even know what to do with it. I dont think it would hurt to show some interest and put some feelers out there. Maybe we land Tre Mitchell or someone else that's not in the picture yet but we definitely need to turn over ever stone available.
I don't disagree with your first sentence, don't agree with your second paragraph at all.

I think it would be a different story if Sidibe had bounced back physically and had a quality year. He didn't, so the 5 remains a major source of uncertainty heading into next year.

Also, different types of bigs can be system fits for various reasons. Forth wasn't the same as Watkins, who wasn't the same as Arinze, who wasn't the same as Keita, who wasn't the same as Rak, etc. Some players provide elite shotblocking, others anchor the middle with strength. Some check several of the boxes in one package [like senior year Rak, Etan, etc.] whereas others excel at their one role, like Baye or Fab.

This kid has the requisite size, it appears that he has good shot blocking instincts, and he doesn't have to be chained to the block in order to score. Imagine him setting screens and then getting the pick-and-pop pass. And it sure would be nice having a kid who could score in the box with either hand -- to say nothing of forcing the defense to account for him, which would lead to lots of open kick outs from a terrific passing big man like this to Buddy / Elijah, or other shooters.

Honestly, I don't see the downside. The 5 isn't the only question mark on next year's team, but this kid would go a long way toward solving it. And then if Battle returns to play point, or Carey makes the sophomore jump, or Goodine seizes the reins, thereby nailing down the point guard uncertainty, having a big like this might be the difference between having a top 10 type of season versus being a 20 win but double digit loss team again.
i disagree. i think the potential downside cost is greater than any potential benefit over & above what we already have (not to mention the opportunity cost of missing out on developing a longer term big).

we'll find out soon enough whether jb feels the same

If he’s preparing for the NBA, why would he want to play for a school that only plays zone? I’m sure there will be a lot of schools interested in his services. Just because he’s available doesn’t mean he will have any interest playing at SU. He would be a great addition, but I can see why SU might not be at the top of his list.

i disagree. i think the potential downside cost is greater than any potential benefit over & above what we already have (not to mention the opportunity cost of missing out on developing a longer term big).

we'll find out soon enough whether jb feels the same
This isn’t a slight on Sid because I believe he has been hurt by injuries but what has he shown you for you to believe he will ever be more than he is?

If he’s preparing for the NBA, why would he want to play for a school that only plays zone? I’m sure there will be a lot of schools interested in his services. Just because he’s available doesn’t mean he will have any interest playing at SU. He would be a great addition, but I can see why SU might not be at the top of his list.
Yep, these things of course work both ways!

Oh FFS. You make some of the worst comments.
C'mon bees. That's what you take away from things? Do you want this kid or not?

IMO the biggest worry, as others have mentioned, is him getting to the corner shooters in time to contest. If the staff feels that is an issue I could see them passing. I wonder if JB ever had any contact with his father in the past?

IMO the biggest worry, as others have mentioned, is him getting to the corner shooters in time to contest. If the staff feels that is an issue I could see them passing. I wonder if JB ever had any contact with his father in the past?
Our centers do a great job of this now?

grad transfers can work at other schools, but syracuse runs an idiosyncratic system that requires buy-in from the players. tried grad transfers 2x and both times it hurt rather than helped because they didn't buy in.

we have 3 center-capable players on the roster next year including the most skilled player on the team.

side note: i wouldn't even look at a school with that roster structure if i was smits, but that's not part of my argument. against him
SU/JB just need to offer Smits minutes with the opportunity to get more dependent on how he learns the system. I bet he thinks (as I) that he is a quick learner and would quickly grasp it.

If I were Smits I would envision being the main center (because PC graduates) beating out Sid and Marek and a frosh. I haven't done enough analysis to know what better school would have as good of an opportunity but think SU should be in the running.

I think Smits would be a huge help here and hope it can happen.

Hmm sounds like dad and son have lots of Indiana pride. Is he looking to head east? Could be a great addition allowing Dolenzaj more time at forward and less at center. If Marek could hit the foul shot jumper consistently would love to see how Smits and Marek’s passing could work a high low wrinkle that would help to give us more open perimeter shots spreading the court.

Are you saying white and gillon didn’t buy in?

Are you also implying our zone defense system has a lower chance of being successful with a 5th year guy in the middle vs a freshman? Because once sidibe fouls out in 15 minutes, that’s who would be left other than marek who is not thick enough for that position for heavy minutes.
Exactly. Hard to say a player "didn't buy in" ... when he took over the starting PG position about 8 games into the season, averaged 30 mpg, 5.5 apg and 10.5 ppg, shot 41% from 3 (and beat Duh-k).

At center next year, I'm warming up to JBA. He's got some beef, he's progressing, he has potential to stretch the D and he's a nice prospect. But assuming he's going to contribute immediately at the level we'll need (without Chukwu) and turning down a 7 footer with an offensive game? Hmmmm ... difficult to justify.

Last edited:
IMO the biggest worry, as others have mentioned, is him getting to the corner shooters in time to contest. If the staff feels that is an issue I could see them passing.
How many times have we thought to ourselves or said out loud, "Thank God Chewbacca closed that one out."

This seems so ridiculous.

SO who is forwarding this the coaching staff? It would be nice to go into a season thinking we can be good.

He won't be able to cover the corner 3's but let's be honest -- has the center EVER effectively covered that ground without something bad happening in that scenario?

If JB doesn't go after this kid hard because he's not quick enough to reach the wings, then I want his resignation.

I also want to be on record - I need confirmation that someone on this board has access to someone on the staff so I know for mathematical certainty that the staff knows this kid is available - if not, I will find someone that can get me Boeheims home number and call myself

I find it perplexing that people on this board are scouring the internet looking for recruits for SU. THen posting whether he would fit the need, would he be interested, does the coaching staff know of him, does anyone have direct contact to the coaching staff to inform them?

Why don't you invite him up to your residence and then go to JBs place ring his door bell and introduce him. oh that's a violation...a violation of the Boeheims privacy at the very least.

I also want to be on record - I need confirmation that someone on this board has access to someone on the staff so I know for mathematical certainty that the staff knows this kid is available - if not, I will find someone that can get me Boeheims home number and call myself
MEN'S BASKETBALL - (315) 443-2082
Jim Boeheim
Head Coach his listed eamial is ketaylor

I know we need a center but this dude looks a tad slow. He looks like he can pass although that is a lot of different games someone had to peruse to throw those clips together. Not sure he would have the foot speed to anchor the zone against ACC-level competition.

I know we need a center but this dude looks a tad slow. He looks like he can pass although that is a lot of different games someone had to peruse to throw those clips together. Not sure he would have the foot speed to anchor the zone against ACC-level competition.

I wondered if is more a foot speed or conditioning issue. He is slow getting down the court on D perhaps contributing to his foul problems and relatively low minutes. He would be a nice option and if he has hopes for a big senior year with his decision hopefully he also knows that he has to make improvements for it to happen.

Derrik Smits College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

another dude with 3 seasons of bad habits to unlearn, uninterested in the team culture & program system but rather showcasing himself for the next level?

hard pass
I couldn't disagree more with this. It's tough for a talented big to screw up a team. A guard, sure. A center, I'll take my chances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom