Class of 2019 - Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler

grad transfers can work at other schools, but syracuse runs an idiosyncratic system that requires buy-in from the players. tried grad transfers 2x and both times it hurt rather than helped because they didn't buy in.

we have 3 center-capable players on the roster next year including the most skilled player on the team.

side note: i wouldn't even look at a school with that roster structure if i was smits, but that's not part of my argument. against him
I disagree with this as well. Where we have been without those two grad transfers. White and Gillon were better than what we would have had. We won games because we had them. Were they a perfect fit? No. But at that time, we were better off with them.

I know we need a center but this dude looks a tad slow. He looks like he can pass although that is a lot of different games someone had to peruse to throw those clips together. Not sure he would have the foot speed to anchor the zone against ACC-level competition.
I don’t recall big rick or AO being very fleet a foot but they were ok contributors at the 5 for us.

Frankly the less I see our 5 lumbering out to the sideline to unsuccessfully challenge a corner three while simultaneously giving up any chance for a rebound, the better.

Do we have a realistic shot at this guy?

I would say it's waaaaaaay too early to know. But I would say right now, Stanford, Middle Tennessee State and Grand Canyon are on the case.

I know we need a center but this dude looks a tad slow. He looks like he can pass although that is a lot of different games someone had to peruse to throw those clips together. Not sure he would have the foot speed to anchor the zone against ACC-level competition.

I don't recall Craig Forth being the fleetest of foot, and he did fine.

I think people need to recognize that anchoring the pivot in the zone doesn't require a jumping jack shot blocker. There are other ways players can be effective defensively.

I would say it's waaaaaaay too early to know. But I would say right now, Stanford, Middle Tennessee State and Grand Canyon are on the case.
I like our chances over all those schools!!!

I couldn't disagree more with this. It's tough for a talented big to screw up a team. A guard, sure. A center, I'll take my chances.
That's a pretty good point. Bigs are dependent on others, usually means they play nice. Guards are the headcases.

I also want to be on record - I need confirmation that someone on this board has access to someone on the staff so I know for mathematical certainty that the staff knows this kid is available - if not, I will find someone that can get me Boeheims home number and call myself
Mathematical certainty?

I also want to be on record - I need confirmation that someone on this board has access to someone on the staff so I know for mathematical certainty that the staff knows this kid is available - if not, I will find someone that can get me Boeheims home number and call myself

LOL. This is incredible.

yup

Look at the minutes White logged once ACC play started. Lmao. White's tough shot making won us basketball games when it was obvious there was literally nobody else to play the position.

1552945545407.png

grad transfers can work at other schools, but syracuse runs an idiosyncratic system that requires buy-in from the players. tried grad transfers 2x and both times it hurt rather than helped because they didn't buy in.

we have 3 center-capable players on the roster next year including the most skilled player on the team.

side note: i wouldn't even look at a school with that roster structure if i was smits, but that's not part of my argument. against him
LOL @ your post. You think they hurt our team that year?? Wow

Craig Forth did ok, even though he was murdered by the fans.

Not huge on taking grad transfers but this makes too much sense.

1) our offense would be worlds better/more efficient just by adding him
2) he will open shots for our shooters and he has great moves and seems like a high IQ player with the passes and moves he was making
3) he reminds of the two centers Purdue has right now which is a good thing
4) he is a little slower on the feet on the defensive end which could benefit him if he comes here because he won’t be be asked to guard kids quicker than him 1on 1

I think this move needs to be ASAP cause he is going to be a hot commodity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom