Class of 2019 - Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler

I don't recall Craig Forth being the fleetest of foot, and he did fine.

I think people need to recognize that anchoring the pivot in the zone doesn't require a jumping jack shot blocker.
Ahhh but JBs tastes have ripened over the years. The zone back then never asked the center to cover the corners. JB started that BS with BMK.

What happened with Jessie Edwards? Would we recruit both him and Smits or is it only one of the two?

Ahhh but JBs tastes have ripened over the years. The zone back then never asked the center to cover the corners. JB started that BS with BMK.

JB doesn't "ask" his centers to do that now. Those occurrences generally happen when we've been playing defense for the entire shot clock, our players are out of position, the other team has moved the ball well, and an opposing player gets the ball for a wide open three.

It is not by design.

What happened with Jessie Edwards? Would we recruit both him and Smits or is it only one of the two?

Depends on attrition.

Most likely, Smits recruitment has already blown up and we won't get involved. But unless somebody leaves, we can only take one.

I don't agree with the anti-grad transfer sentiment. I don't think grad-transfers are a great primary recruiting strategy, but it works as a late in the cycle, low risk way to fill in big holes in the roster.

Next year many of us perceive a major deficiency at the center position (it's possible that JB doesn't agree). It's starting to get late to address that deficiency with a player with multiple years of eligibility and by the time the grad transfer market really heats up it will be even later. We have one or more scholarships that will go unused if not given to someone. If given to a grad transfer its a one year commitment. I don't see the risk.

If the guy you bring in doesn't "buy in" are you any truly worse off than having a relative donut at the position. If he doesn't work out or his failure to buy in harms the team, don't play him. It's very low risk as an emergency fill the empty cupboard measure.

Well we have our GMAC2.0 we might as well add Forth2.0 although I do believe he is an upgrade over Craig.

We don’t even know if the staff has reached out to Smits.

Can they reach out to him? I understand that his circumstances allow him to transfer but he’s a scholarship athlete with remaining eligibility on another school’s roster. I assume it’s not open season on him. At a minimum wouldn’t he have to initiate contact? Wouldn’t the season have to be over?

Would hate to think there might be programs trying to convince Battle to come back for another year and be trying to recruit him away from SU.

Distant relation to this guy? If so...take him now.
1553002109782.jpeg

Can they reach out to him? I understand that his circumstances allow him to transfer but he’s a scholarship athlete with remaining eligibility on another school’s roster. I assume it’s not open season on him. At a minimum wouldn’t he have to initiate contact? Wouldn’t the season have to be over?

Would hate to think there might be programs trying to convince Battle to come back for another year and be trying to recruit him away from SU.

He said in an article yesterday that he made clear his decision to be a 5th year transfer, and that 4 schools reached out to him the first hour.

Kid seems like a longshot, at best.

The only place Battle is going is pro.

He said in an article yesterday that he made clear his decision to be a 5th year transfer, and that 4 schools reached out to him the first hour.

Kid seems like a longshot, at best.

if he is going to play a 5th year in college - please give me a better choice than us - where he can go against Duke and UNC and start day one - with no Battle he could be a focal point like Rak was

if he is going to play a 5th year in college - please give me a better choice than us - where he can go against Duke and UNC and start day one - with no Battle he could be a focal point like Rak was
He could stay in-state and get the same opportunity at ND or compete in another top conference by committing to Purdue or IU.

JB doesn't "ask" his centers to do that now. Those occurrences generally happen when we've been playing defense for the entire shot clock, our players are out of position, the other team has moved the ball well, and an opposing player gets the ball for a wide open three.
Before BMK the center was never asked to be an emergency closeout. But the worst part is this idea has never worked unless you have a gazelle center like BMK. Either the wing shooter gets off an uncontested shot because the center is too slow to cover, with nobody underneath to rebound, or he pump fakes and drives to the basket with the rim protector taken out of the play.

They're better off having Chukwu stay in the paint and just jump up and wave his hands in front of the basket. Maybe if the shooter is distracted because there's a 7-footer acting like an idiot in front of the rim it's the same as if a hand is in his face?

Something tells me we’re never going to hear from SUD again.
Whatever Happened to him. Didnt he have some inside info? Or was that proven to be made up? I get some posters mixed up...lol

He could stay in-state and get the same opportunity at ND or compete in another top conference by committing to Purdue or IU.

ND and Purdue? do they show their games on TV? he already plays for a school in the same exact class as ND or Purdue

Before BMK the center was never asked to be an emergency closeout. But the worst part is this idea has never worked unless you have a gazelle center like BMK. Either the wing shooter gets off an uncontested shot because the center is too slow to cover, with nobody underneath to rebound, or he pump fakes and drives to the basket with the rim protector taken out of the play.

They're better off having Chukwu stay in the paint and just jump up and wave his hands in front of the basket. Maybe if the shooter is distracted because there's a 7-footer acting like an idiot in front of the rim it's the same as if a hand is in his face?

I don't disagree -- because the net results is usually someone canning the wide open three, or we yield the offensive rebound due to the center being out of position. Yell, wave your arms, etc. do something to hopefully distract the shooter, but hold your ground to position yourself for the miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom