Class of 2019 - Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Derrik Smits, grad transfer from Valpo to Butler

Yell, wave your arms, etc. do something to hopefully distract the shooter, but hold your ground to position yourself for the miss.
I actually think we might be on to something here. Unfortunately other teams would start to imitate this pretty quickly.

Whatever Happened to him. Didnt he have some inside info? Or was that proven to be made up? I get some posters mixed up...lol

He had good inside info (at least by my estimation). But he recently lost his mind and went on a huge tirade against JB and the staff on here. It wasn't well recieved by a lot of other posters. So, who knows if he hates everyone here now, but he certainly appears to have serious problems with our coaching staff.

He had good inside info (at least by my estimation). But he recently lost his mind and went on a huge tirade against JB and the staff on here. It wasn't well recieved by a lot of other posters. So, who knows if he hates everyone here now, but he certainly appears to have serious problems with our coaching staff.
Jeez, I must have missed a lot of that. But I will admit there are some handles that I just skip right on by if there has been a pattern of annoyance.

He seems slow which fits what we seem to be looking for, seems overly skilled in other areas. Not a good fit.

Do you know how wrong you are about this? We’ll tap into this market eventually again
Exactly. Imagine wanting an experienced 7-footer to rebound, score inside and anchor the zone? I mean, we're all set next year with Sid who can barely play 10 minutes and a 205 lb. frosh with no college experience. And if they can't get it done we have those beefy 180 lb. forwards! Plus that last GT we used was a bust ... the one that broke into the starting lineup 8 games in, scored 10.5 ppg, 5.5 apg, shot 42% from three, beat Duh-k and managed to get through the year without being suspended. Who would want a disaster like that again?

Last edited:
Exactly. Imagine wanting an experienced 7-footer to rebound, give us some interior offense and anchor the zone? I mean, we're all set next year with Sid who can barely play 10 minutes and a frosh with no college experience. And if they can't get it done we have those beefy 180 lb. forwards! Plus that last GT we used was a disaster ... the one that broke into the starting lineup 8 games in, schored 10.5 ppg, 5.5 apg and shot 42% from three? Who would want a disaster like that again?
I would be shocked if we didn’t look into the transfer pool this year for a big man

Did anyone mention that Smits declare d for the draft?

Before BMK the center was never asked to be an emergency closeout. But the worst part is this idea has never worked unless you have a gazelle center like BMK. Either the wing shooter gets off an uncontested shot because the center is too slow to cover, with nobody underneath to rebound, or he pump fakes and drives to the basket with the rim protector taken out of the play.

They're better off having Chukwu stay in the paint and just jump up and wave his hands in front of the basket. Maybe if the shooter is distracted because there's a 7-footer acting like an idiot in front of the rim it's the same as if a hand is in his face?

When the center if forced to scramble out too late to cover a corner shooter, I wish he would just stay home, where if the guy misses, we have a chance at the rebound. I don't think I recall a center ever blocking that shot, but I sure as heck remember a lot of times when we gave up the easy put back off a miss because there was nobody there to even try to get a rebound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom