Desk-go | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Desk-go

We recruited Pequigney who now plays at Towson, he transferred out after the first semester

We also recruited Connor Russell who also changed his commitment to UAlbany.

Daddio was one of the top recruits in the country hes working hard but not working out right now.

We are doing the job with recruitment, we have the #1 player in the country, we have a bunch of UA all americans. With new players and the return of injured ones we are still trying to find our feet and identity! as I said after the first game the team playing in the final game of the year will look much different than the one that started the season. I dont understand Palasek though we need him, teh kids tough can get the ball on the carpet and is a great stick handler!

I love ya Woody but its been six years since Brennan and the situation at the X is worse then ever. Pequigney left on his own and Russell wasnt a big time X recruit and is hurt. Bottom line is that the staff pretty much ignored the X position after the Daddio and Buhr class and didnt realize it had a problem until last year despite the fact that we have had ongoing issues since 09 that has gradually gotten worse and worse. I came across an article on syracuse.com that had Jeremy Thompson talking about how he hoped to help solve Syracuse's faceoff woes and that was over three years ago. Now that the defense is trying to rebuild the reality of how bad the X play is finally showing through and has left this team in an awful position. This Saturdays game is pretty much a must win, if we lose the season is effectively over. That is unacceptable for Syracuse, changes need to be made.

I take your point, I agree there has been a drop off over the last few years, however we have picked up on recruiting faceoff guys in the next few years and its unfortunate DeMarco and Paduda are out still. The problem with faceoff guys is when they come out of high cshool you still dont know how they will translate at the DI level, its a lottery. Face off guys are an enigma and they can come from anywhere! Fowler at Duke was a walk on, he had played lax and Chaminade but played football!

The other issue with the now sped up/quick whistle game is that you need Face off guys that can handle, no more Mr Fogo they have to be able to stay on the field. The other problem is its very rarely a 3 on 3 now at the face off X, its usually pinch and pop out front so the wings arent even involved anymore. Chris D just isnt making good decisions right now, its painful I feel bad for him but id love to see him succeed.

We just have to grin a bare it and let them work through it, no point throwing our toys out of our pram the guys are doing the best they can well find a face off team that will work eventually, I hope its not too late!

I would have picked up Trevor Brosco from LI that went to Notre Dame.

I take your point, I agree there has been a drop off over the last few years, however we have picked up on recruiting faceoff guys in the next few years and its unfortunate DeMarco and Paduda are out still. The problem with faceoff guys is when they come out of high cshool you still dont know how they will translate at the DI level, its a lottery. Face off guys are an enigma and they can come from anywhere! Fowler at Duke was a walk on, he had played lax and Chaminade but played football!

The other issue with the now sped up/quick whistle game is that you need Face off guys that can handle, no more Mr Fogo they have to be able to stay on the field. The other problem is its very rarely a 3 on 3 now at the face off X, its usually pinch and pop out front so the wings arent even involved anymore. Chris D just isnt making good decisions right now, its painful I feel bad for him but id love to see him succeed.

We just have to grin a bare it and let them work through it, no point throwing our toys out of our pram the guys are doing the best they can well find a face off team that will work eventually, I hope its not too late!

I would have picked up Trevor Brosco from LI that went to Notre Dame.

The problem is two fold, not only is Daddio struggling (as predicted by many here), the wing play is somehow even worse. Even when Daddio did make it a scrum and the ball squirted out our wing guys were never there to get it, it was always one of UVA's wings. Are our wing guys really that slow? Were getting dominated like a highschool team out there. Secondly I dont believe Demarco is hurt or at least nothing has come out about that, why hasnt he been given a shot? Paduda was only suppose to be out a few weeks were going on a month and a half at this point, where is he?

I am not calling for Desko to be fired but there has to be a shuffling of the assistants at this point, the same issues are coming up year after year after year, last years success was an anomaly brought on by a great defense. Now that Megill, Ianzito and Pratt are gone you see what having zero help at the X does, Syracuse has been gashed three games in a row for 16+ goals, its unacceptable, period.

What happened to that fast break "Syracuse Style" lacrosse. Used to be they would score in droves , it seems like our o is gone stale. Where's Ansley Jemmison when you need him?

Full disclosure, I played for Desko and personally know a lot of the coaches discussed in this thread...

I am fairly certain Pressler may be a better coach than Desko, I just personally never liked the teams he brought to the table while at Duke. They we always big goon type players that underachieved in the playoffs. Haven't followed him too much at Bryant, because it is Bryant.

I know things haven't been great this year overall and over the past few with faceoffs, but you want to replace Desko with Dan Sheehan? I like Danny, i think he has done a great job at Lemoyne and should be on top of the list for Cornell (even thought he told me he is not interested) but I think SU is too big of a leap for him and he isn't flashy enough for Dr. gross. If they are going to replace Desko it better be with a headliner, not a D2 or D3 coach.

For the sake of the discussion, let look at the current top 20 and their coaches, here is who we really have a shot at. To me off of the list below the best options are Tambroni (I do not think he leaves PSU) and Cassese. I think Cassese is the best young coach in the country. He should get the next major job that opens up, not sure which it will be but if I was an AD he would be at the top of list.

outoftownie, what do you think of Kerwick's chances of landing the job at Cornell on a permanent basis? Personally, I'm a Cassese fan -- would love to see Tillman return, but doubt the dollars would ever be there.

outoftownie, what do you think of Kerwick's chances of landing the job at Cornell on a permanent basis? Personally, I'm a Cassese fan -- would love to see Tillman return, but doubt the dollars would ever be there.
I don't know much about the Cornell Ath Dept, so it is hard for me to say. I don't think they will have a great season this year, they lost too much from Pannell to Fiore and a bunch in between. Kerwick is a good coach, but I personally think that Cornell can do better. Tillman is an alum, but he is not coming back to Ithaca. I think the best options are Cassese, Nadelen, Byrne (ND), and Brown (Denver).

I don't know much about the Cornell Ath Dept, so it is hard for me to say. I don't think they will have a great season this year, they lost too much from Pannell to Fiore and a bunch in between. Kerwick is a good coach, but I personally think that Cornell can do better. Tillman is an alum, but he is not coming back to Ithaca. I think the best options are Cassese, Nadelen, Byrne (ND), and Brown (Denver).

Thanks. Hadn't thought about Nadelen -- Rochester guy, some experience coaching in the Ivies.

While I'm asDesstrated as anyone, I still think Desko gets this year and next to right things.
I think you are too kind. The problems are not new and Desko has had plenty of time to correct them. Always thought Desk rode the backs of the players rather than created opportunities himself.

Last edited:
I'd say to stick with Desko. But if it did come down to a new coach in the future, what about Chuck Wilbur from OCC? Young, talented coach with a track record of success who's a local guy... or is D1 lacrosse too big of a step up for him?

I'd say to stick with Desko. But if it did come down to a new coach in the future, what about Chuck Wilbur from OCC? Young, talented coach with a track record of success who's a local guy... or is D1 lacrosse too big of a step up for him?
No. Yes.

well... that wasn't very good was it ?

77nbad1.jpg

i dont like saying this type of things, but yes, i think it is time for him to go. the program has clearly regressed over the past 5+ years. he has been saved a few times by the team getting on a streak.

I'll ask this because I honestly have no idea, but if Desko is fired how would the SU Lax alums respond? Do they want him out too? Would it have to be Gait or another member of the SU Lax "family"?

jd is the jim boeheim of lacrosse. decent, but fundamentally unsound.

I'll ask this because I honestly have no idea, but if Desko is fired how would the SU Lax alums respond? Do they want him out too? Would it have to be Gait or another member of the SU Lax "family"?

You mean the LAX alums and boosters who either played alongside Desko, or had him as a coach?

He's not going to be forced out by them.

You mean the LAX alums and boosters who either played alongside Desko, or had him as a coach?

He's not going to be forced out by them.

Yeah thats definitely not happening, the program would have to completely collapse and thats not going to happen. Desko is a players coach they wont turn on him unless things fall completely apart.

No I don't mean those folks forcing him out since I think you'd have to see years of not making the tournament, or a major scandal to get the alums that upset.

I'm asking what happens if Gross finally pulls the trigger on the move he's wanted to make for years and fires Desko. Is there a full-on revolt or what?

No I don't mean those folks forcing him out since I think you'd have to see years of not making the tournament, or a major scandal to get the alums that upset.

I'm asking what happens if Gross finally pulls the trigger on the move he's wanted to make for years and fires Desko. Is there a full-on revolt or what?
I'm not a Lax alum, so can't speak for them. But, to go out and lose to Bryant on the very day Roy Simmons Jr. was awarded an honorary degree? Not good. And, I can't imagine that even they are not asking themselves some searching questions about what is going on with SU lax. And, if it were somehow Gait, I don't think anybody would be having a cow.

Would depend on the circumstances and who the next coach is to be honest. If its Gait or someone like that you could probably keep the uproar to a minimum.

Do we really know for sure that Gross brought in Gait just to take over for Desko, or is that just an urban myth. Gait just happened to get hired months after we failed to make the tourney in 2007. Could just be a coincidence. ;)

It's not like Gross hasn't overpaid for coaches in all the other Women's sports.

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure no one's happy with last night's result, but I'm curious to hear what folks inside the program think.

Xtreme- I've heard that rumor from more than a couple of folks, so I've taken it to have at least a touch of reality. From what I've heard Gait is overpaid even by Gross' standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom