Desko | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Desko

And UConn is still an elite basketball program. Just like SU lacrosse has, they've won more championships than any other team this century.

Saying that, what makes for an elite team in lacrosse needs redefinition. The landscape has changed dramatically, and that needs to be taken into account.

You raise a fair point. I give Desko credit for not throwing in the towel. He made adjustments until he found some winning combinations. I was disappointed in out late season collapse, but overall I have to respect what Desko accomplished this spring. How many coaches could have pulled that rabbit from the SU hat?

I am in no hurry to replace Desko, there simply isn't a great pool of coaching talent that is readily available to a blue blood program, combined with what I perceive to be improvement overall in what should have been a down year, I am more reluctant to replace Desko. Add in Tucker's return, a very good core returning and some fresh new highly regarded faces and this could be the leading edge of an SU resurgence. Desko made lemonade with the lemons he was given to start the season. I think he does the same next spring.

Change for the sake of change is rarely as good as imagined. Especially if those close to the program see what I see from afar. Desko has at least two years to show improvement, (h/t Jeremey).

While I understand the frustration of the fan base, I also appreciate that SU did something no school will ever accomplish in the sport: 22 straight FF's and 10 NC's. Even SU is not likely to match that performance again.

I also believe Wildhack knows what he is doing. He has his eyes open but is in hurry to make unnecessary changes. If Wildhack sees what I see, he waits to see what happens next spring before pulling any trigger or even making serious contingency plans. If Desko falls flat, things change.

Htown ,

Normally like your posts but " Desko made lemonade with the lemons he was given to start the season'
is disparaging to the group of talented kids the program has.

Posters can say anything they want but group had both talent and heart , competitive in every game and beat some of the top teams. Several redshirt seniors who just graduated came from the 2015 hs graduating class where some of the 10 Cuse recruits amongst the Inside Lacrosse Power 100 that year. Some of them now move on to play in the MLL. The hs classes of 16 and 17 yielded some damn good players who were recruited by other top twenty teams but they choose Cuse for whatever godforsaken reason, some were All ACC or IL AA., many would be solid contributors for any while other highly skilled kids yet to gain full traction would be immediately contacted by many other programs if they ever put their name in transfer portal.

... Season ending was also dissapointing to the players...,they know the time, effort and sacrifice they put into it and the hopes they had for themselves and their teammates, they know how they strived to live up to past glories irregardless of the present landscape. They know how they supported and cheered each other on while darts were thrown at them by critics at any opportunity

They were far from lemons, they were far from losers

He should follow the lead of a certain local legend and just retire and blame his lack of recent success on millennials.

Htown ,

Normally like your posts but " Desko made lemonade with the lemons he was given to start the season'
is disparaging to the group of talented kids the program has.

Posters can say anything they want but group had both talent and heart , competitive in every game and beat some of the top teams. Several redshirt seniors who just graduated came from the 2015 hs graduating class where some of the 10 Cuse recruits amongst the Inside Lacrosse Power 100 that year. Some of them now move on to play in the MLL. The hs classes of 16 and 17 yielded some damn good players who were recruited by other top twenty teams but they choose Cuse for whatever godforsaken reason, some were All ACC or IL AA., many would be solid contributors for any while other highly skilled kids yet to gain full traction would be immediately contacted by many other programs if they ever put their name in transfer portal.

... Season ending was also dissapointing to the players...,they know the time, effort and sacrifice they put into it and the hopes they had for themselves and their teammates, they know how they strived to live up to past glories irregardless of the present landscape. They know how they supported and cheered each other on while darts were thrown at them by critics at any opportunity

They were far from lemons, they were far from losers

I was responding to a post by FA commenting that Desko should get some credit for success as he was getting full credit for the failures. There was no disparagement towards the players. I was referring to the loss of a key player that was enough to make take SU from major player status to a break even team. The topic was Desko getting some credit for the team's success. The loss caused Desko to move players around to find the right combinations, not an easy task right before the season starts.

That said, your points are valid, and I agree with your overall assessment of the players. I have commented before that this team is special in that no one is greedy, they are a team through and through. If player A has the better shot, he's getting the ball; if it's player C, he gets the ball. No one worries about their own stats, just the team stats. That is part of my bases for thinking the SU trend is going in the right direction. Teams can shut down one and two scorers, you cannot shutdown 6-8 scorers.

That said, your points are valid, and I agree with your overall assessment of the players. I have commented before that this team is special in that no one is greedy, they are a team through and through. If player A has the better shot, he's getting the ball; if it's player C, he gets the ball. No one worries about their own stats, just the team stats. That is part of my bases for thinking the SU trend is going in the right direction. Teams can shut down one and two scorers, you cannot shutdown 6-8 scorers.
Penn State is also a perfect example of this. If a team can shut down both O’Keefe and Ament (highly unlikely), they have 6-7 other players that can score on you. There’s 9 players on their team with at least 10 goals.

I think SU has the potential to be that type of juggernaut next year with all the players returning on offense. What we lack is a Grant Ament caliber player with the vision to see open teammates along with their exceptional off ball movement. Also PSU’s shooting percentage (.433) is ridiculous.

Maybe Desko can persuade Michael Sowers to transfer here for his senior year lol. One can dream...

Jokes aside, I’m excited but cautiously optimistic about next year and SU’s chances of returning to Memorial Day weekend. Especially if some freshman/sophomores/new faces step up big time.

Not one player interviewed called for Desko's head:

Whether head coach John Desko and his staff are still the right men for the job

Dom Fin

"You're not going to find better coaches. They are legends. They are some of the best minds there, and some of the best minds today. That (making a change) would be the worst thing they did out there. That would be a catastrophe."

Ric Beardsley
"I can tell you right now, John Desko is a great coach. People in this town have called for his head. That makes no sense. Everybody goes crazy on the hashtag 'fireDesko' thing. It's not the answer of someone who has a sane mind."

Joel White
"I think he's doing great. It (pressure) comes with the territory. But has the game passed him by? I don't think that is the reason."

Paul Carcaterra
"I do think coach Desko is a great coach. This is a guy who won five national titles. He didn't forget how to coach lacrosse."

Quint Kessenich
"John Desko is tremendous at identifying his own team's strengths and weaknesses and making in-game adjustments. Once the game starts, I have 100 percent confidence in that staff."

Everyone knows that recruiting has sucked for a few years. But nobody seems to know why (or if they do know, they're not telling).

Is it because Desko isn't one of the "cool kids" anymore?

Is it because SU wants to charge Ivy League tuition prices?

Is it because we have too many players and there isn't enough playing time to go around?

We need to fix our little problems and light this candle !!!

Everyone knows that recruiting has sucked for a few years. But nobody seems to know why (or if they do know, they're not telling).

Is it because Desko isn't one of the "cool kids" anymore?

Is it because SU wants to charge Ivy League tuition prices?

Is it because we have too many players and there isn't enough playing time to go around?

We need to fix our little problems and light this candle !!!

Miller and Beardsley pretty much outlined it. Its become stale and a bit arrogant. Desko needs to get a lot more active on the recruiting trail and we clearly have to do a better job keeping in contact with current commits ie Gaudet and the 5 guys we lost last fall.

Miller and Beardsley pretty much outlined it. Its become stale and a bit arrogant. Desko needs to get a lot more active on the recruiting trail and we clearly have to do a better job keeping in contact with current commits ie Gaudet and the 5 guys we lost last fall.

Miller's the CBA kid who turned down a football scholarship from HCDM because he thought he was good enough to get better offers. How'd that work out for him?

Miller's the CBA kid who turned down a football scholarship from HCDM because he thought he was good enough to get better offers. How'd that work out for him?

Didnt he turn down Grob? Either way whoever said it is irrelevant it's clear we have a major issue as we have struggled to recruit high end offensive guys especially attackmen. Transfers, surprise recruits (Salcido/Rice/Donahue) have helped mask a major issue. Not gonna solve it over night but we clearly need to boost recruiting as one of our first efforts

Didnt he turn down Grob? Either way whoever said it is irrelevant it's clear we have a major issue as we have struggled to recruit high end offensive guys especially attackmen. Transfers, surprise recruits (Salcido/Rice/Donahue) have helped mask a major issue. Not gonna solve it over night but we clearly need to boost recruiting as one of our first efforts

If it was GRob, then that's a different story. Who the **** wanted to play for him? :cool::p:rolleyes:

We've identified some decent offensive talent (Scanlan, Gaudet, Zawada, etc...) but for some reason we can't hold onto them. :(

I am hoping that bringing in Ryan Powell has something to do with recruiting ..the Powell name still means something and both Ryan and Casey still have their finger on the pulse ..also hoping some of the insanity that is UVA and Duke recruiting will shed off - there is just too many 5 star players committed to those programs - you can only get so many guys on the field

A variety of thoughts here:
UVa's success has us all thinking about transition. We shouldn't be too quick to make the comparison. Starsia's exit had some bad karma related to it --as in homicide.
If a call is made correctly, maybe UVa exits the tourney as a quarter-finalist, and we keep wondering when they will turn it around. Their victory is not a sea change. Nonetheless, for years the tourney has been decided by great players making great plays, and that happened again this year. Great players have been elusive to SU in recent years.
What bugs me is how many teams have great players wearing #22. No doubt they were inspired by Mikey and the rest. Why didn't any of them come to SU?
We were good this year. We were close. I am hopeful that we may be one of the teams playing on Memorial Day Weekend in 2020.

As demonstrated throughout this tournament you must have elite offensive firepower in today's game. The staff seems to be able to identify offensive talent but as others have mentioned, they are either not landing these kids and/or they are decomitting. They need to figure out why and fix that. It's a major problem. Also UVA just flat out outworked Yale yesterday. They were relentless, physical and aggressive (I for one was glad to see the zebras let them play).

First post here; I'll go into a little background about myself. Grew up in CNY, got into lacrosse because of Casey and Ryan Powell and watching them play at Syracuse. Played high school, JUCO and Club lacrosse at a private university in WNY. I still play lacrosse year round into my mid 30s. Also born on April 7th (2003 was a great year) for those basketball fans out there.

Regarding Desko, firing him would be a mistake in my opinion. It would throw the program into disarray, more so than the consistent early exits in the NCAA tournament that we've been unfortunately accustomed to since 2009, with the 2013 season being the outlier. Take a look at Princeton's coaching situation post Bill Tierney - I think that would be the parallel to what would happen if Desko was fired. Princeton, in my opinion, still hasn't recovered or at least achieved the same level of success while Bill Tierney was there. Princeton University has had two head coaches since and hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2012. Princeton has a significant endowment as an Ivy League institution and also has the associated Ivy League admissions process. They've managed to recruit great talents in Sowers, Zach Currier, Tommy Schreiber, Chad Weidmaier, Mike MacDonald, Tyler Fiorito, the Froccaro brothers, Kip Orban, etc, yet Chris Bates and Mike Madalon have not been able to win much of anything.

Recruiting has been a hot topic lately and rightly so - the significant amount of recruits that have flipped from Syracuse to other colleges hurts; and their alleged reasons for doing so are eye opening - from lack of contact, to money and scholarships, and playing time. Scholarships and money go hand in hand, but every D1 program has the same allotment of scholarships but not every university has the same endowment nor the same cost of attendance in going to Syracuse. Coming out of college with as little debt as possible has become important to young adults these days and rightly so - the rise in cost of attending college versus the pay of entry level jobs for graduates is not getting any better and being a non-revenue sport doesn't allow for the same types of grants prospective athletes would receive if they were playing a revenue sport like basketball or football. The most alarming revelation about recruiting has come from the Thompson brothers as well as Matt Gaudet; the lack of contact, whether initial contact or continued contact from our coaching staff is inexcusable. However, I am also a firm believer in when people give others their word, that they stick by their word. This goes for both the coaching staff and those teenagers that give their verbal commitment. This leads me into my next observation - we stopped recruiting CNY well; our own backyard. Our 2009 NC team was lead by local NYS kids; our 2013 runner up team was lead by local kids as well. To say that there haven't been quality recruits coming out of NYS is a farce. Lyle and Miles Thompson, Connor Cannizaro easily off the top of my head, Jordan Evans was the #1 recruit coming out of JD; expanding out of CNY into the rest of NYS would bring up even more kids. Finally, regarding playing time - playing time is earned and not guaranteed. Want to be on the field? Be better than those guys ahead of you; work harder, put in the extra time and extra repetitions. Our coaching staff also needs to realize that simply because you're a junior, or senior that playing time should not be guaranteed ala Matt Lane.

The best thing that Syracuse could do has already been mentioned numerous times on this board - keep Desko on the staff for as long as he wants, but we need to add youth to our coaching staff that the kids can relate to and play a style of lacrosse that kids want to play. Going back to my Tierney reference - Matt Brown is his OC and associate head coach and he's in his mid thirties. A young offensive mind would only add to our coaching staff and may help attract more offensive talent to the roster.

Food for thought - what do all these names have in common aside from winning the Tewaaraton award? Doug Shanahan, Michael Powell, Matt Danowski, Mike Leveille, Max Seibald, Rob Pannell, Lyle Thompson, Miles Thompson, Dylan Molloy and Ben Reeves?

All from NYS.

^ This is a great post that hits on much mark though my take is that top talent in cny is scarce compared to other areas. Reflected in AA lists .Wish we could expand reach into LI, Canada, Conn, NJ and even PA

Recruiting needs to pick up dramatically. The recruiting rankings don’t lie. We’re getting hammered by a number of schools and others have caught up to us and are passing us by. Desko had his most success when our talent level was a notch higher.

Recruiting needs to pick up dramatically. The recruiting rankings don’t lie. We’re getting hammered by a number of schools and others have caught up to us and are passing us by. Desko had his most success when our talent level was a notch higher.
Isn't that true of all coaches in all sports?

SU is fighting a 2 front war and losing. With state schools like SUNY Albany involved kids can go there for a hell of a lot cheaper. On the other end of the spectrum the talented players that can afford it will go Ivy.

SU is fighting a 2 front war and losing. With state schools like SUNY Albany involved kids can go there for a hell of a lot cheaper. On the other end of the spectrum the talented players that can afford it will go Ivy.
110% THIS. Lacrosse is a very "privileged" sport at its core. a lot of these kids have parents with much disposable income . The ones that do not, are looking for cheaper options in thier state

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom