Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects | Syracusefan.com

Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects

This has been asked and answered before. If someone heads to the NBA early or transfers than a spot will open up.
Yes but how can you take on two more players when there are no guarantees of anyone leaving early?

Michael Gbinije
Trevor Cooney
Tyler Roberson
B.J. Johnson
DaJuan Coleman
Ron Patterson
Chinonso Obokoh
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCullogh
Malachi Richardson
Moustapha Diagne
Frank Howard
Tyler Lydon

So where is there room for Jones & Bryant?
You well know of the "talk" here is that McCullogh is one and done. That Johnson is not happy with his playing time . And is there a real concern that Coleman may not play again? Or could it just be that the coaches don't want to be caught short again like having only 10 scholarship guys on the roster when the injury bug bites again.

This has been asked and answered before. If someone heads to the NBA early or transfers than a spot will open up.

Sure, I think we all know this. However, what if we land one of those guys and no one transfers or heads to the NBA? Looking at that list, there are certainly no strong contenders for the NBA after next year, although you never know; just ask Ennis. Some say McCullough is a strong contender but we haven't even seen him take the court in college yet.

Certainly Boeheim and company know what they are doing - I just wonder what that is. I just don't see them simply betting on the fact that one of our players is going to have a breakout season and turn pro because if that doesn't happen, then what? Maybe I'm completely off but are they anticipating a transfer?

Last edited:
I don't think the coaching staff would be anticipating a transfer after next year- you'd think it anyone was leaving, they would have done so. They probably have a good idea who is on the NBA's radar, or is thinking of making an early entry.

It's nice that the APR issues have been resolved so that the staff doesn't feel the need to save scholarships for academic purposes.

Being as stacked as we are, I expect somebody to transfer (BJ or Patterson, or maybe Obokoh). Somebody could obviously go pro (McCullough, Roberson, Joseph). And Coleman might be done, though I doubt it.

We're looking at getting 1 of the these guys (I'm hoping for Bryant), not both.

The thing to keep in mind is that nothing's official until LOIs.

I don't think the coaching staff would be anticipating a transfer after next year- you'd think it anyone was leaving, they would have done so. They probably have a good idea who is on the NBA's radar, or is thinking of making an early entry.

It's nice that the APR issues have been resolved so that the staff doesn't feel the need to save scholarships for academic purposes.

I hear what you are saying, but that is pure speculation. I just don't see Boeheim taking a chance like this. I thought about the APR issue and I agree with you.

Going back to my original question - what happens if no one leaves and we get Jones or Bryant to commit? Would we then have to turn this player down or force someone to leave to open a scholarship? If that's the predicament we would be in, I just don't see them taking that kind of risk because that would be ugly for everyone involved. It just seems that they must know someone is leaving or will leave if one of these guys were to commit.

I hear what you are saying, but that is pure speculation. I just don't see Boeheim taking a chance like this. I thought about the APR issue and I agree with you.

Going back to my original question - what happens if no one leaves and we get Jones or Bryant to commit? Would we then have to turn this player down or force someone to leave to open a scholarship? If that's the predicament we would be in, I just don't see them taking that kind of risk because that would be ugly for everyone involved. It just seems that they must know someone is leaving or will leave if one of these guys were to commit.
You said it better than I could.

Curious minds need to know.

I think both of those players, if they commit to us, would commit very late in the game.

Side question - anyone know if we're still also looking at Silva?

Patterson has to be the most likely to transfer. He's already been over recruited with Richardson and Franklin. Not to mention both Cooney and Gbinije have 2 more years here. His only chance for PT is to fight for time as a role player as a senior.

Patterson isn't leaving after another year. He's already "old" for his class so going somewhere to sit another year isn't going to make any sense for him. He'd be better off finishing his degree first so he wouldn't have to sit out...and that's assuming he doesn't improve and earn minutes starting this season.

In addition to the early NBA entry scenario, there's also a possibility that the coaches anticipate someone needing a prep year. Pure speculation and I don't mean to suggest this is the reason, but just pointing out that there could be a variety of reasons which would mean that there is in fact still room at the inn in 2015.

Boeheim doesn't have a history of "oversigning" so I trust he knows what he's doing here.

Patterson isn't leaving after another year. He's already "old" for his class so going somewhere to sit another year isn't going to make any sense for him. He'd be better off finishing his degree first so he wouldn't have to sit out...and that's assuming he doesn't improve and earn minutes starting this season.

In addition to the early NBA entry scenario, there's also a possibility that the coaches anticipate someone needing a prep year. Pure speculation and I don't mean to suggest this is the reason, but just pointing out that there could be a variety of reasons which would mean that there is in fact still room at the inn in 2015.

Boeheim doesn't have a history of "oversigning" so I trust he knows what he's doing here.
Good points!

Weird question, but is it possible that Patterson is old enough that he doesn't really care about sitting out a year? I mean, he's already old for his class. What's another year? At a certain point, maybe it becomes less about age and more about other things.

We have ways of making players leave when we want, just ask Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf.

Or drops out, or is asked to leave the school, or sustains a serious career ending injury. All of these things have happened to SU basketball players in the past 10 years.

Last I heard, Bryant isn't planning on making a decision until the spring. By that point, JB will have a much better idea what the scholarship situation is and whether there is room at the inn for another player. If Jones wants to go to SU, he might have to accept a conditional scholarship or wait until the spring to find out if there is room for him at Syracuse.

Or drops out, or is asked to leave the school, or sustains a serious career ending injury. All of these things have happened to SU basketball players in the past 10 years.

Last I heard, Bryant isn't planning on making a decision until the spring. By that point, JB will have a much better idea what the scholarship situation is and whether there is room at the inn for another player. If Jones wants to go to SU, he might have to accept a conditional scholarship or wait until the spring to find out if there is room for him at Syracuse.
Good explanation, thanks!

I doubt Jones, based on the interest he's now generating, would consider anything conditional.

I love the idea of adding Bryant or Jones, but I would hate for Bus or BJ to transfer. They are both very talented players and good young men. I think it is likely that CM is one and done. He could have a mediocre year and then go to the combine and wow the scouts and be a lottery pick. If CM were a one and done and we landed Jones, I wonder how the rotation would work? Coleman and Chino at center. Diagne would probably play PF and some C. Lydon would play mainly PF. Small forwards would be Roberson, Jones, BJ and some Silent G. The guards would be Joseph, Malachi, Cooney, Bus, Howard and Silent G. That is a whole lot of talent. I suppose Roberson and Jones could start at the forward positions together, but Jones looks very skinny. I am not sure how he would hold up. And I wouldn't expect him to rebound well, despite his athleticism. Sounds like a fun team to watch though, offensivley.

Weird question, but is it possible that Patterson is old enough that he doesn't really care about sitting out a year? I mean, he's already old for his class. What's another year? At a certain point, maybe it becomes less about age and more about other things.

I just think if that was the case, you think he'd be gone now. Staying one more year doesn't help either in terms of basketball or academics.