Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects

You well know of the "talk" here is that McCullogh is one and done. That Johnson is not happy with his playing time . And is there a real concern that Coleman may not play again? Or could it just be that the coaches don't want to be caught short again like having only 10 scholarship guys on the roster when the injury bug bites again.
You're wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off my man!!!!!!!!!

OGBJ20 said:
You're wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off my man!!!!
Thanks for clarifying OG. Peeps get stuff about BJ wrong on here all the time!

Cmac will be a 1 and done. Roberson could explode 2. Heck maybe chino transfers who knows? Just keep recruiting great players. Derrick jones is awesome.

I think people are getting excited about nothing right now. We need to get used to losing guys early every season and the staff needs to recruit to this. Its just the way it is. As of this minute we are not over committed even if we got another commit we wouldn't be over committed until we received they're LOI. Bryant and Jones won't decide until Spring next year and by then the picture will look much clearer. I think you will see us involved with highly rated late signee's from now on to cover for possible defections. Sometimes we may stop recruiting them late because we are full up and likely not to lose anyone unexpectedly. Other times the staff will look like geniuses for grabbing a 5star guy that fits a need late in the game.

Dion blew up off the bench as a sophomore and went in the lottery. Any of the underclassmen who start next year could do the same or possibly a guy off the bench. We will be good like every season and it will be because players step up and play well. Joseph, McCulough, Roberson and Johnson are all underclassmen that IMO have enough talent to be NBA players at some point. Probably 3 of those guys will start the odds of one jumping are very high.

I doubt Jones, based on the interest he's now generating, would consider anything conditional.
I agree with that. I think a series of things will have to fall into place perfectly for us to get him.

You said it better than I could.

Curious minds need to know.

We won't take a commitment from anybody unless there is a spot open. Doesn't mean we still can't recruit and stay in their ear in the event a spot does open.

I'll wager a spot will be open before any of these kids sign.

You well know of the "talk" here is that McCullogh is one and done. That Johnson is not happy with his playing time . And is there a real concern that Coleman may not play again? Or could it just be that the coaches don't want to be caught short again like having only 10 scholarship guys on the roster when the injury bug bites again.

Ummm, please post any links or quotes attesting to your assumption that "Johnson is not happy with his playing time". Thanks.

Or drops out, or is asked to leave the school, or sustains a serious career ending injury. All of these things have happened to SU basketball players in the past 10 years.

Last I heard, Bryant isn't planning on making a decision until the spring. By that point, JB will have a much better idea what the scholarship situation is and whether there is room at the inn for another player. If Jones wants to go to SU, he might have to accept a conditional scholarship or wait until the spring to find out if there is room for him at Syracuse.
So, suppose DC can never play again due to his injury. Does SU just dump him? Doesn't he get to finish out his degree (if he wants) ala some of the football players who sustained career-ending injuries? If that happens, does his scholy count against the team? So many questions...

So, suppose DC can never play again due to his injury. Does SU just dump him? Doesn't he get to finish out his degree (if he wants) ala some of the football players who sustained career-ending injuries? If that happens, does his scholy count against the team? So many questions...
If the worst case scenario happens and DC's knee never gets better, and he is told he can't ever play competitive basketball again., SU will surely keep him on scholarship anyway. It is what a classy program does, and Syracuse certainly qualifies and behaves in this manner.

When this type of thing happens (a career ending injury), the scholarship will no longer count against the NCAA limit of 13 for the rest of the athlete's career, and it becomes available to be awarded to someone else.

It is fairly well known that Jones & Bryant don't have any plans on committing for a while. It is also true that SU is recruiting both, yet do not have any open scholarships. However, If either were to come to JB and say they wanted to commit right now, neither one would have a committable offer. An offer and a committable offer are two different things. It happens ever year. It happens with probably every school. If you have 5 open scholly's, you can't only offer 5 people. Noone, not even Cali-mari gets every single offer to commit.

SU has been hit with players going pro earlier than the coaching staff expected this year. I don't expect that to ever happen again. I expect they have learned their lesson. And that is the reason they continue to show interest in Jones & Bryant despite the lack of scholarships. The odds are, there will be room for at least one of them by the end of the basketball season.

PS - I hate to see people making false rumors about players transferring, when there is no indication of truth. BJ has OGBJ20 covering for him, but Buss doesn't have anyone in his corner. It is a shame. I have seen at least one article, and I think there was even more than that, which indicated that Buss absolutely loves his time in SU. Both have a great opportunity to get significant PT this year, and I, for one, hope to see it happen for both of them. How quickly people are ready to dump on current players in favor of the next great thing.

If the worst case scenario happens and DC's knee never gets better, and he is told he can't ever play competitive basketball again., SU will surely keep him on scholarship anyway. It is what a classy program does, and Syracuse certainly qualifies and behaves in this manner.

When this type of thing happens (a career ending injury), the scholarship will no longer count against the NCAA limit of 13 for the rest of the athlete's career, and it becomes available to be awarded to someone else.
Thanks, TC. I didn't know it didn't count against your 13 (or 85, or whatever). Good to know, and good to know we do it.

Just curious since I have a few minutes. Why would (BJ-the only one I can comment on) who is currently enrolled in school for the summer session, working out daily on the court and weight room/nutrition, who is scheduled to rep SU overseas this summer in competition with aspirations of getting tic/toc next season throw all of that hard work out the door to transfer from the school that he always wanted to go to? Hint: I sat the bench my first season at LaSalle in 86/87 season and started my sophomore year, the 1st 15games of the season consequently becoming the sixth man because no one wanted the job.couchburn IJS

There is, I believe, the ability to provide a non-playing scholarship in case of injury.

Or drops out, or is asked to leave the school, or sustains a serious career ending injury. All of these things have happened to SU basketball players in the past 10 years.

Last I heard, Bryant isn't planning on making a decision until the spring. By that point, JB will have a much better idea what the scholarship situation is and whether there is room at the inn for another player. If Jones wants to go to SU, he might have to accept a conditional scholarship or wait until the spring to find out if there is room for him at Syracuse.

I think you are right on Jones, he may even need a year in a prep program. Last I checked we seemed to be his only offer. Good player but may have some other issues we are unaware of. I really like him as a player, so hope he somehow finds his way to SU.

Just curious since I have a few minutes. Why would (BJ-the only one I can comment on) who is currently enrolled in school for the summer session, working out daily on the court and weight room/nutrition, who is scheduled to rep SU overseas this summer in competition with aspirations of getting tic/toc next season throw all of that hard work out the door to transfer from the school that he always wanted to go to? Hint: I sat the bench my first season at LaSalle in 86/87 season and started my sophomore year, the 1st 15games of the season consequently becoming the sixth man because no one wanted the job.couchburn IJS
Yeah, Bobby! You're the best.

I'll just say it - AWESOME. I have been waiting to see BJ on the floor with Tyler. Glad you're still reading and reaffirming your son's commitment.