Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Despite being out of scholarships, Syracuse continues to recruit a pair of big-time 2015 prospects

Oh, my bad.
I guess that pointing out you being a constant buzzkill is cause for your sophomoric defensive retort.
Relax, son- life is way too short to constantly see the worst in every situation.
Time for a girlfriend...pronto! :rolleyes:

Because if you get a girlfriend you have to be vulnerable and you might get hurt.

Oh, my bad.
I guess that pointing out you being a constant buzzkill is cause for your sophomoric defensive retort.
Relax, son- life is way too short to constantly see the worst in every situation.
Time for a girlfriend...pronto! :rolleyes:

Okay dad. "sophomoric", LOL! I prefer realistic over buzzkill. You can tap your heels together all you want we still lost to Dayton. That's the fact.

So many people with their trite remarks with nothing meaningful say. It's so easy to play defense it's very hard to play offense. A professor once told me it's better to say nothing because then people will just think you are a fool. But if you say anything then that will prove it.

Last edited:
[quote="orangedave, post: 1061438, member: 639"I ]Yes it does and thanks for posting it. I'm really not comfortable with all the one-and-done's and have told friends that I could never be a fan of the model the UK uses. In an earlier post, I stated that one of the things I enjoy most about college hoops is the chance to watch players develop over 3 or 4 years. I realize that's changing and I will have to change with it, but ain't that part of life?[/quote]

It was a good article. It expressed something I've been feeling. Maybe in 2015 with all the upper classmen and a good freshmen class we will have some depth and upperclassmen experience to make a title run.

Michael Gbinije
Trevor Cooney
Tyler Roberson
B.J. Johnson
DaJuan Coleman
Ron Patterson
Chinonso Obokoh
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCullogh
Malachi Richardson
Moustapha Diagne
Frank Howard
Tyler Lydon

So where is there room for Jones & Bryant?

My feeling is the coaching staff is betting on DC may be done or CM or TR jump to the NBA.

I've been watching some Tyler Lydon highlights. The kid has a very nice outside jump shot and a lot of God given height. I hope he's fast enough at the next level. He could probably use some balanced weight training between upper and lower body so he can be a much stronger competitor. But his jump shot looks very nice for someone who is 6'9".

According to verbal commits he is 6'9": http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

Okay dad. "sophomoric", LOL! I prefer realistic over buzzkill. You can tap your heels together all you want we still lost to Dayton. That's the fact.

So many people with their trite remarks with nothing meaningful say. It's so easy to play defense it's very hard to play offense. A professor once told me it's better to say nothing because then people will just think you are a fool. But if you say anything then that will prove it.

I think your professor stole that from Mark Twain, but still a great quote and very true!

I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Anyways I just want you lighten up a little. It is a good time to be a Syracuse fan.

Okay, I know this wasn't directed toward me. And those that know me, know I tend to see things through rose-colored glasses most of the time, but for me - except for being in the ACC - this past year basically SUCKED#.

We had a Final Four team that fell apart towards the end and got beat by Dayton in the Round of 32 of the NCAAs while UConn got's its fourth championship.

Then we had both Ennis and Grant declare for the NBA, leaving us next year without a proven point guard and a versatile forward familiar with our zone D.

Our football team did well in its first year in the ACC, except for three very embarrassing losses (and a couple of wins that could have gone either way) andgot us into a low level bowl despite innumerable stupid penalties. As for the future, we now have to hope that we right the ship quickly and that Rutgers is a complete washout in the BiG.

And our bread butter men's lacrosse team that could usually be counted on to get an NC on average every other year from 1988-2009 has now gone 5 years without one and doesn't look like it will get one anytime soon.

So, I for one, refuse to lighten up until I see some improvement.

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

omniorange said:
Okay, I know this wasn't directed toward me. And those that know me, know I tend to see things through rose-colored glasses most of the time, but for me - except for being in the ACC - this past year basically SUCKED#. We had a Final Four team that fell apart towards the end and got beat by Dayton in the Round of 32 of the NCAAs while UConn got's its fourth championship. Then we had both Ennis and Grant declare for the NBA, leaving us next year without a proven point guard and a versatile forward familiar with our zone D. Our football team did well in its first year in the ACC, except for three very embarrassing losses (and a couple of wins that could have gone either way) andgot us into a low level bowl despite innumerable stupid penalties. As for the future, we now have to hope that we right the ship quickly and that Rutgers is a complete washout in the BiG. And our bread butter men's lacrosse team that could usually be counted on to get an NC on average every other year from 1988-2009 has now gone 5 years without one and doesn't look like it will get one anytime soon. So, I for one, refuse to lighten up until I see some improvement. End of rant. Cheers, Neil

I agree with you and things should get better, but at no point last season I thought we were a final four team. Outside of Maui we may have been racking up Ws but there were a lot of bad teams making us look bad even though we still won.

So many people with their trite remarks with nothing meaningful say. It's so easy to play defense it's very hard to play offense. A professor once told me its better to say nothing because then people will just think you're a fool. But if you say anything then that will prove it.
Ummm, the actual quote goes: "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt", and its generally attributed to Mark Twain.
And thanks for reminding us that we lost to Dayton. My response is...so fricken' what? Its a game...with wins and losses being the determinate factors. Why stress that negative outcome 8 weeks after the event that caused it? What does your angst get you moving forward?
That in a nutshell, is the essence of a negative mindset. Gloom and doom versus focusing on the positive recruiting, the bright future for our incoming and returning youngsters, or the steady hand of our HOF coach and staff.
In other words- chill out & get over yourself. It'll get better, because it always does.
Oh, and here's another saying for your own edification:
" God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". -Reinhold Niebuhr-
Words to live by, junior. Peace. :cool:

Last edited:
Okay, I know this wasn't directed toward me. And those that know me, know I tend to see things through rose-colored glasses most of the time, but for me - except for being in the ACC - this past year basically SUCKED#.

We had a Final Four team that fell apart towards the end and got beat by Dayton in the Round of 32 of the NCAAs while UConn got's its fourth championship.

Then we had both Ennis and Grant declare for the NBA, leaving us next year without a proven point guard and a versatile forward familiar with our zone D.

Our football team did well in its first year in the ACC, except for three very embarrassing losses (and a couple of wins that could have gone either way) andgot us into a low level bowl despite innumerable stupid penalties. As for the future, we now have to hope that we right the ship quickly and that Rutgers is a complete washout in the BiG.

And our bread butter men's lacrosse team that could usually be counted on to get an NC on average every other year from 1988-2009 has now gone 5 years without one and doesn't look like it will get one anytime soon.

So, I for one, refuse to lighten up until I see some improvement.

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

Different strokes I guess. I love Syracuse sports. I want them to be the best they can but in my opinion we are in a pretty good spot.

Football: Young and aggressive coach who seems to have a plan to get Syracuse back into the top 25 consistently. My opinion is that we are trending upward so better than we have been. We will see.

Basketball: Had a great start to the season and disappointing end. You can't have a disappointing end with out being very good. We were ranked number one at one point how many teams can say that? Of which how many teams that were ranked number 1 won the whole thing, which is really the only acceptable ending. How many college teams can actually say they were legitimately in the running? We are lucky to be in that situation. I still want a NC but who doesn't. At least we really have talent.

Grant and Ennis leaving doesn't bother me as much. Kids leave all the time. I can't say that their replacements will be better or worse so why worry about it at this point. I highly doubt anyone thought Ennis would play like he did as a freshman but who says it can't happen again or more likely that Joseph starts out making mistakes against out OOC but gets better as the year goes on. I really just have a hard time feeling down on factors that have yet to play out.

Lax: Rough season but to me a similar situation to basketball. We expect to win the whole thing and have those expectation. How many schools can say that have the actual ability to win it all. We should not have lost to Bryant but it isn't like this will be our only legit shot at it in the next decade.

Men's soccer seems to be better than it has in the past as well as womens bball.

I am of the opinion that overall we are in a good spot and moving in the direction that I hope to be.

Last edited:
When this type of thing happens (a career ending injury), the scholarship will no longer count against the NCAA limit of 13 for the rest of the athlete's career, and it becomes available to be awarded to someone else.
I never knew this was the rule. The NCAA got that one right.

1/2 credit to the NCAA. They don't count the scholarship against limits, but I don't think they require schools to honor it.

1/2 credit to the NCAA. They don't count the scholarship against limits, but I don't think they require schools to honor it.
That would actually fall in line with the general scholarship rule where they are renewable 1 year scholarships.

That's right and it's one of the points in the Northwestern unionization- they wanted the scholarship to be guaranteed if an athlete was medically disqualified.

Different strokes I guess. I love Syracuse sports. I want them to be the best they can but in my opinion we are in a pretty good spot.

Football: Young and aggressive coach who seems to have a plan to get Syracuse back into the top 25 consistently. My opinion is that we are trending upward so better than we have been. We will see.

Basketball: Had a great start to the season and disappointing end. You can't have a disappointing end with out being very good. We were ranked number one at one point how many teams can say that? Of which how many teams that were ranked number 1 won the whole thing, which is really the only acceptable ending. How many college teams can actually say they were legitimately in the running? We are lucky to be in that situation. I still want a NC but who doesn't. At least we really have talent.

Grant and Ennis leaving doesn't bother me as much. Kids leave all the time. I can't say that their replacements will be better or worse so why worry about it at this point. I highly doubt anyone thought Ennis would play like he did as a freshman but who says it can't happen again or more likely that Joseph starts out making mistakes against out OOC but gets better as the year goes on. I really just have a hard time feeling down on factors that have yet to play out.

Lax: Rough season but to me a similar situation to basketball. We expect to win the whole thing and have those expectation. How many schools can say that have the actual ability to win it all. We should not have lost to Bradley but it isn't like this will be our only legit shot at it in the next decade.

Men's soccer seems to be better than it has in the past as well as womens bball.

I am of the opinion that overall we are in a good spot and moving in the direction that I hope to be.
Nitpicking but you meant Bryant right? Bradley was not played in Lax.

Nitpicking but you meant Bryant right? Bradley was not played in Lax.

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. I was at work trying to do two this at once and most of the time I can't do one.

I think people are getting excited about nothing right now. We need to get used to losing guys early every season and the staff needs to recruit to this. Its just the way it is. As of this minute we are not over committed even if we got another commit we wouldn't be over committed until we received they're LOI. Bryant and Jones won't decide until Spring next year and by then the picture will look much clearer. I think you will see us involved with highly rated late signee's from now on to cover for possible defections. Sometimes we may stop recruiting them late because we are full up and likely not to lose anyone unexpectedly. Other times the staff will look like geniuses for grabbing a 5star guy that fits a need late in the game.

Dion blew up off the bench as a sophomore and went in the lottery. Any of the underclassmen who start next year could do the same or possibly a guy off the bench. We will be good like every season and it will be because players step up and play well. Joseph, McCulough, Roberson and Johnson are all underclassmen that IMO have enough talent to be NBA players at some point. Probably 3 of those guys will start the odds of one jumping are very high.
duon didn't blow up he freakin played. Patterson is a keeper