Development to keep an eye on... | Syracusefan.com

Development to keep an eye on...

JackBauer44

'18 & / '21 Cali Winner: Receiving & Rushing Yards
Just something to keep an eye on in the recruiting world...

USC (West) is looking to make a hire in the next 1-2 weeks in their head coaching search. ESPN is reporting it to be down to two coaches. Boise State's Chris Peterson and Vanderbilt's James Franklin.

What does that have to do with SU? Well there are 2 recruits for Vandy that were high on SU along the recruiting process. It's rumored that Franklin is option A right now, so if he were to leave, it could open the door to get back in with these two recruits (who we have personal connections to).

OL Brendan Brosnan from Park Ridge, IL. He was quoted over the summer to saying that SU was near the top and definitely in his top 3 schools. He took a visit over the summer and was contemplating a 2nd trip before the commitment to Vanderbilt. If Franklin were to leave, it may be natural to get back in to see if he's open to looking again.

The most interesting case would be RB Mikale Wilbon from Chicago, IL. The SU staff really liked Wilbon and he has had a relatonship with Coach Deandre since 8th grade. It would be nice to have another connection to SU...oh wait, there is... Wilbon goes to school/plays with SU commit Aaron Roberts (De La Salle high school). With SU looking like Mister or bust, again, it could be another open door.

Just some things to keep an eye on. Probably the biggest thing for SU recruiting right now was to get back to a bowl game. Now that we are there, it's going to help give this staff a lot of steam over the next couple of months.

Brace-yourself-Winter.jpg

Good post, was thinking of this myself and have been rooting to get Franklin out of Vandy... He's a great recruiter and coach for a private school targeting GA, IL, etc... just like us... Get him out of here!

ESPN reporting that Sarkisian interviewed too.

My guess is he would try to take those recruits with him.

Vandy's a good school, though, probably the best academic school in the SEC. And probably by a pretty good margin...

@schadjoe: Boise State's Chris Petersen has withdrawn from USC coaching search after mutual interest.

Sounds like Franklin and Sark are finalists. Haven't heard anymore names.

Hard to leave the SEC but there's a black cloud hanging over the program after the rape allegations in the off season. Can see Franklin fleeing west.

How about Rutgers falling apart and probably having to bring back a lame duck Kyle Flood b/c of lack of money? This is the time to retake NJ and neighboring areas

@schadjoe: Boise State's Chris Petersen has withdrawn from USC coaching search after mutual interest.

Sounds like Franklin and Sark are finalists. Haven't heard anymore names.

Hard to leave the SEC but there's a black cloud hanging over the program after the rape allegations in the off season. Can see Franklin fleeing west.

Those allegations and other off-field stuff have some of the Vandy folks questioning the relaxed admission for some of his recruits. Makes sense for Franklin to get out before they shut the door on his "SEC" recruits. USC still brings a good academic reputation with a lot more institutional support for big-time football.

Those allegations and other off-field stuff have some of the Vandy folks questioning the relaxed admission for some of his recruits. Makes sense for Franklin to get out before they shut the door on his "SEC" recruits. USC still brings a good academic reputation with a lot more institutional support for big-time football.

The SEC is good - but USC is a way better job. Winning at USC will be much easier than Vanderbilt, forever.

Just something to keep an eye on in the recruiting world...

USC (West) is looking to make a hire in the next 1-2 weeks in their head coaching search. ESPN is reporting it to be down to two coaches. Boise State's Chris Peterson and Vanderbilt's James Franklin.

What does that have to do with SU? Well there are 2 recruits for Vandy that were high on SU along the recruiting process. It's rumored that Franklin is option A right now, so if he were to leave, it could open the door to get back in with these two recruits (who we have personal connections to).

OL Brendan Brosnan from Park Ridge, IL. He was quoted over the summer to saying that SU was near the top and definitely in his top 3 schools. He took a visit over the summer and was contemplating a 2nd trip before the commitment to Vanderbilt. If Franklin were to leave, it may be natural to get back in to see if he's open to looking again.

The most interesting case would be RB Mikale Wilbon from Chicago, IL. The SU staff really liked Wilbon and he has had a relatonship with Coach Deandre since 8th grade. It would be nice to have another connection to SU...oh wait, there is... Wilbon goes to school/plays with SU commit Aaron Roberts (De La Salle high school). With SU looking like Mister or bust, again, it could be another open door.

Just some things to keep an eye on. Probably the biggest thing for SU recruiting right now was to get back to a bowl game. Now that we are there, it's going to help give this staff a lot of steam over the next couple of months.

Brace-yourself-Winter.jpg
If we lose Franklin it would be a shot to the heart of this class as it stands now Sykes might be the only backer to sooth that possibility. I prefer not to go there.

Can anyone tell me why USC wouldn't just keep Orgeron in as head coach? Especially with the player support for him. Is there something I don't know about him?

If we lose Franklin it would be a shot to the heart of this class as it stands now Sykes might be the only backer to sooth that possibility. I prefer not to go there.
From what I'm reading, you think we are talking about Zaire Franklin. We are not, it is about James Franklin, the head coach at Vanderbilt. If I'm mistaken here, sorry about that.

Can anyone tell me why USC wouldn't just keep Orgeron in as head coach? Especially with the player support for him. Is there something I don't know about him?
Because Eddie has done some things in the past that a program having issues with the NCAA probably don't want to happen again...

Obviously we don't know how things will shake out, but I feel optimistic that we'll be the poachers and not the poached this recruiting cycle.

Just smells too much like a Bill Stewart scenario... USC can get virtually anybody, and bringing in a big name can reinvigorate a team unlike keeping a career assistant for the most part in Eddie O. he's a great recruiter, not IMO a great HC. A guy like Franklin is 41, and theoretically can be at USC for 15 years.

According to Wikipedia, Sarkisian has accepted the job at USC.

IMO he will be a great fit for USC. I do like Franklin I have rooted for him ever since he got that raw deal in Maryland.

@footballscoop: A guy at UCLA just called and said they are “relieved” SC didn’t hire Franklin…said he would have changed dynamic in LA

Franklin to florida would almost be a given,and maybe even this year.

Preaser from from florida could end up at USC as O.C.

They would give USC a known eastern coach.

Grobe gone-Any WF recruits that make sense?

There's a safety from Josh Parris's high school that we offered that committed to them back in April, and then there's a center that is teammates with Alin Edouard that we did not offer, that's about all I can see that we'd have any link to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom