DeVito is tough as nails | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DeVito is tough as nails

No it wasnt. But having watched this year, you really think play calling’s been acceptable in the first half or 3/4’s of the games? We play like we have the guns to measure the opponents strength and adjust. We don’t adjust until the games gotten away from us. Thats a bad recipe with a young QB. Tommy’s not without fault but come on, the play calling’s hideous

It's hard to tell b/c I think our QB is trigger shy.

Bull. NC state brought 7 on obvious passing downs. That can’t be picked up by a team.

Multiple one on ones and that ball has to be thrown, and it wasn’t at all in the first 3 1/2 quarters.

Tommy got an earful from Babers and finally started to throw it - you either get a catch, PI, incomplete, or a long pick that may be a punt (rarely)...What shouldn’t happen is a freak out sack.

I saw 2 sacks tonight that were clearly on the OL, both were stunts that weren’t picked up. The others were telegraphed blitzes that Tommy didn’t read and held the ball.

If he ever pulled the ball on an inside zone, he’d have run for 30 yards a clip.

I get that he’s hurt and I commend his playing today. He’s a kid, and we must all remember that. But this was not his best showing throwing 3 quarters.
Agree completely. The inside zone part was telling. He wanted no part of running. He’s clearly banged up and it impacted his ability. He’s a gun slinger who’s normally not so shell shocked. Today was not normal Tommy. Hope he learns from it and moves on.

TD is a young QB that has a ton of talent. If im Dino i would fire the Oline coach tomorrow. Heckel being hurt isnt an excuse for multiple offside, motion penalties and missed assignments. I know Dino is loyal but he needs to make an honest appraisal of his staff. Cam J played well. He provided a physical presence we have been missing. Why hasn't he played? Coaching? Penalties , play calling, clock management. Coaching? I stand by my assessment. Lynch is in over his head. Im sure he is a good guy but he isn't getting it done and its painfully obvious that Eric masked his inability to game plan or make in game adjustments. He needs to go. As to Ward the D played outstanding. They were spectacular given the absolute ineptitude of the O. Im sick that we lost a game that shouldn't have been close. From the opening coin toss What was Dino thinking to the clock management issues this one is on the coaches. Last point. NC State is our new rival. Cant stand these SOBs.

Really miss the devito of last year when he was just taking shots at will down field.

Would like to see Cam get some more reps. And find TJ in some one on one deep routes and let him go up for it. Keep Harris to the slants.

Ooooo and keep giving those shovel passes the Hacket, he’s eventually gonna bust one for about 80 yard touchdown!

My biggest problem is he doesn’t seem to throw anyone open. He only makes the throw. The obviousl open receiver. Needs to take some more chances and let his receiver fight for the ball

TD is a young QB that has a ton of talent. If im Dino i would fire the Oline coach tomorrow. Heckel being hurt isnt an excuse for multiple offside, motion penalties and missed assignments. I know Dino is loyal but he needs to make an honest appraisal of his staff. Cam J played well. He provided a physical presence we have been missing. Why hasn't he played? Coaching? Penalties , play calling, clock management. Coaching? I stand by my assessment. Lynch is in over his head. Im sure he is a good guy but he isn't getting it done and its painfully obvious that Eric masked his inability to game plan or make in game adjustments. He needs to go. As to Ward the D played outstanding. They were spectacular given the absolute ineptitude of the O. Im sick that we lost a game that shouldn't have been close. From the opening coin toss What was Dino thinking to the clock management issues this one is on the coaches. Last point. NC State is our new rival. Cant stand these SOBs.

It's his 6th game in his 3rd year. What is this young stuff?

He wasn’t good in the game but if he’s injured give him credit for trying to play.
I would have pulled him for a series but oh well. We lost. Not even that frustrated as the team wasn’t good.

About replacing Cavanaugh -
I agree he's not working out here but how easy is it to find a new OL coach mid-season?
Who do you replace him with?

My biggest problem is he doesn’t seem to throw anyone open. He only makes the throw. The obviousl open receiver. Needs to take some more chances and let his receiver fight for the ball

Yep. You could actually see it on the slant to Jackson for the TD.

Tommy is closer to an average redshirt sophomore QB in P5 than he is to an elite.

Which is fine, except that some here fell in love with the myth of his elitism based on passing league performances and a few cameos last year when D coordinators couldn’t gameplan for him.

He did play hurt tonight and I give him credit for playing better in the second half.

His OL is not good and that hurts a lot. But a RS Tommy is also a huge stepdown from a senior Dungey.

I still think Tommy will be pretty good next year and very good as a senior.

Tommy is closer to an average redshirt sophomore QB in P5 than he is to an elite.

Which is fine, except that some here fell in love with the myth of his elitism based on passing league performances and a few cameos last year when D coordinators couldn’t gameplan for him.

He did play hurt tonight and I give him credit for playing better in the second half.

His OL is not good and that hurts a lot. But a RS Tommy is also a huge stepdown from a senior Dungey.

I still think Tommy will be pretty good next year and very good as a senior.
Redshirt Tommy is a HUGE, step down from senior Dungey... but I think he’s also a step down from Freshman Dungey. I watched Dungey and he looked good from day 1, Tommy, not so much

Agree completely. The inside zone part was telling. He wanted no part of running. He’s clearly banged up and it impacted his ability. He’s a gun slinger who’s normally not so shell shocked. Today was not normal Tommy. Hope he learns from it and moves on.
agree, but there has not been a "normal" tommy since last year. what is the normal tommy???

tommy has a ton of talent but at this point, where are the leadership skills and maturity???
coaching has been totally inept at all levels --- maybe devito was to comfortable in getting the keys to kingdom. dino needs to revisit how they have handled tommy, and how to help him grow. this guy is getting killed out there!!! he might benefit from coming off the bench---who the hell knows!!!!
dino needs to make some radical innovative decisions now re the offense, game planning, qbs and coaches. how can we best use injured td ----instead of throwing him back out there get manhandled week after week,and expect different outcome.

Bull. NC state brought 7 on obvious passing downs. That can’t be picked up by a team.

Multiple one on ones and that ball has to be thrown, and it wasn’t at all in the first 3 1/2 quarters.

Tommy got an earful from Babers and finally started to throw it - you either get a catch, PI, incomplete, or a long pick that may be a punt (rarely)...What shouldn’t happen is a freak out sack.

I saw 2 sacks tonight that were clearly on the OL, both were stunts that weren’t picked up. The others were telegraphed blitzes that Tommy didn’t read and held the ball.

If he ever pulled the ball on an inside zone, he’d have run for 30 yards a clip.

I get that he’s hurt and I commend his playing today. He’s a kid, and we must all remember that. But this was not his best showing throwing 3 quarters.
We haven’t let him run on that zone play all f In year. It’s been so open my fat ars could get 20 easily. The next kid should be playing not Td. He is clearly hurt.

About replacing Cavanaugh -
I agree he's not working out here but how easy is it to find a new OL coach mid-season?
Who do you replace him with?
Put lynch back there have Dino call plays and do Rb. Cavanaugh has to go.

No it wasnt. But having watched this year, you really think play calling’s been acceptable in the first half or 3/4’s of the games? We play like we have the guns to measure the opponents strength and adjust. We don’t adjust until the games gotten away from us. Thats a bad recipe with a young QB. Tommy’s not without fault but come on, the play calling’s hideous

From guys smarter than me they say there are open guys in every game and he simply isn't getting them the ball. If they're right then it's not on the playcalling.

The ball moved around fine at UMD and WM.

Um... Im sorry but the way he looked scared and seemed to be search for quick ways to fall down vs get yards is not my definition of tough as nails. Honestly... I feel like the kid is the exact opposite. but compared to the guy that just left, this ain't a good look.

Also.. we are hammering the coaching but if you go back and watch there are many plays where taj harris beat his guy 1 on 1 and Devito never even look his way... simply panicked in a confused man and look to fall down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom